did i get the price right?

barneyandem

Visit site
I think it is quite alot for a 4 yr old-especially given his mystery lameness, although he is a good sort and im sure will sell!

Ive noticed you have put him down as a 7 yr old?I thought he was younger-apologies if im wrong...

Tia

Visit site
Nice pony - good pictures - good description although no mention of wins or earnings??

Personally I think you will struggle to get this sort of money for him unless he has significant winnings.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
hmm long story, bought him off a dealer with a passport and vetting certificate from when they bought him, we didnt get him vetted as they had only had him for a short while, and he was sold to us a 6 year old. anyway got him home and called vet out who said she thought he was a 4 year old. we put down 7 on the ad as we dont want to get into legal trouble, but have a note from our vet saying how old she thinks he is (5 years approx). obviously this will all be explained over the phone.

Tia

Visit site
Dubious history then! Hmm not what I would expect if I was looking to buy a pony for this price, sorry.

Weezy

Visit site
Will you also be telling people about the lameness issues? Sorry but selling a pony who has only just come back into work and has already been pushed too fast to get back into work and the lameness is STILL not properly diagnosed PLUS there is the fact that he is prob lame because he did too much too young etc etc etc and wanting that money?

Just be VERY careful - people who see an ad online WILL look around the forums to see if they can see any history on the horse and so you need to be 100% about what he has been through otherwise you could find yourself in a legal battle!

sista_act

Visit site
i think this is a good price. he has still got all his career ahead of him to improve yet he already has a lot under his belt! a lot of potential. good luck selling him!

barneyandem

Visit site
Oh OK-i agree with tia on this one, as he hasnt been back in work long i would wait until spring to sell him as it is a bit unfair to expect new owners to rehabilitate a young horse who has been off for a few months with mystery lameness especially at that price. Sorry if i keep banging on about this-it just seems a bit quick!
He does look like a lovely honest boy so i hope he finds a really lovely home!

fjudge

Visit site
IMO, looks too old to be only 4/5
confused.gif
But then again, i may well be very wrong...

I think the price sounds absolutely fine. Its a nice animal, sounds brilliant and has a track record that you can tell people who phone up when interested.

On the other side...even if he is young, he has a fair amount of experience...

Sorry if people dont agree with me....but thats just my opinion!!
frown.gif

Good luck with the sale
smile.gif

Marbs

community.webshots.com
In all honesty I think that the price is a bit steep. Was thinking around/just under the 5k mark, but giving the mystery lameness (which I didn't realise!) I think that at this stage the price should be lower.

I nearly purchased a horse that was lame for unkown causes, and the price was knocked down by at least 1k (although still should be more IMO - as there is a chance that it could be a reccurent thing, and the cause really could be anything.)

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
yep he looks very mature, is the right shape etc and doesnt need to fill out anywhere, which is proberbly why we never twigged that he might be younger than he was sold as.

my pony club DC knows him inside out as she is a close friend to my mother and she recons i should have put him in for £6500 (regarding previous lameness and age concern), to "fly a kite" so to speak, but we thought that was too much lol.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Sorry to sound harsh - but judging by what others allready know about this pony - DONT BE GREEDY, if this horse has a dubious past and has had mystery lameness then it is far too much. I would feel that you should hold onto him for longer---- doing the right thing by the animal. He is lovely - but if he is only 5 then I suspect he has done too much too soon - and that maybe where the answer to the lameness lies.
Its sad if you have bought something that isnt what it was sold as - but be responsible and fair - dont do the same thing agian. If it was me I would keep him as a hack for the next year - assuming he remains sound take him back into competition at 6 - then if he sticks that sound for 3 months - then sell him - and ask a fair price - as that would be a fair sale.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Are you going to tell people who enquire about him, about his age concern and the lameness issues?

I bought a horse recently and she had the same sort of problems, however after handing over £4500 i was never told.
Ive had to find out for myself and now i have a horse i cannot ride and has put me a further £2k into the red that i wasnt expecting.

Personally, id put on the ad the age the vet/dentist thinks he is, they are the experts regardless of the passport/legal issue. You can change the passport age with a valid dentist/vet report. I think its a little unfair for people to be ringing up for a 7yr old and finding out the likihood hes actually only 4yrs. It'll just continue to waste your time and theres.

I think the lamness issue speaks for itself, i do think that with those two in mind the price could be lowered more.

I suppose after being badly burned myself it makes me think people should be completely honest, even in adverts.

Skhosu

Visit site
I dont see where the legal issue stands re: his age. The vet says he's 4/5 so why not put him down at that? I agree with SPP here.
Because people will want to know, particularly if he was lame due to being pushed too far too fast.
I am surprised you are considering selling him so soon after he was lame.
Our pony had an abcess (known cause therefore) and was off 6 weeks. HE went lame the same day he was advertised but we will now not be putting him on the market until at least christmas, despite needing the money and the space. He needs to be brought back slowly and we knew the cause!
Nice pony, and as a definite 7yr old, sound with no lameness issues and age issues, yes, the price would be ok, if he was winnings. What are his winnings out of interest?
If I rang up and you started talking about dealers/vets etc. I'd be put off.
Sorry.
But a reasonable price perhaps in a few months when he is definitely sound and if he has reasonable winnings.

your horse sounds like a super all-rounder BUT i would not part with this amount of money for a horse with this history - infact if i rang, from looking at that add and you explained that
a) he has papers but they may not be his because the vet reckons the age is false and therefore you don't actually know his age and
b )he has had a mystery lameness that has only just recovered from but is allready in full work
i'm affraid to say i personally would put the phone down thinking that for that money i can make an uncomplicated purchase (tbh if you have £6k to spend, good rc horses aren't that hard to come by)
I wouldn't spend any more than £2k on a horse that isn't registered and doesn't have papers - sorry but i wouldn't, however fab it is because there are others just as fab that have known history's (especially at only 7 - even more so if he's 5 - it's a bit young for all this confusion whick at £2k i'd overlook but £6k - no!)

You say he is ISH - isn't he registered.

You really should think twice about the lameness thing - if you sell him now and tell prospective buyers that he has only been back sound for a short time (and that he's worked hard in that time) i doubt they will take a chance with £6k as there are other horses for that money which are less of a gamble.
If you don't tell them and they buy him and it re-occurs then you are prob talking full refund or legal battle.

Remember horses don't go lame for no reason and just because you haven't identified it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Sorry to be blunt but the market will be blunt - you say you can't afford to keep three horses but imho i think you'll find that potential buyers can't afford to risk £6k on a horse that's only just back in work after unexplained lameness and a very odd history. I know breeding etc isn't everything but if i rang up and you explained all this i would personally not come to see him.

Also, just because it anoys me - do you know that for every m month your horse was off work you should do a week of walking, then that again with some trotting and then again with cantering to bring it back into full work????

RunToEarth

Visit site
We had a livery that sold a horse with rotating pedalbones as an allrounder. Wasn't my place to tell the buyers its faults, also never met them, but IMO, VERY wrong to sell a horse wrongly. Also I wouldnt pay that price for that pony at that age, even without its mystery lameness, but to think it could have arthritus etc at 10 from doing too much too young, I would be seriously put off...

KatB

Visit site
I disagree with the comment of not paying anymore than 2k for a horse with no papers or breeding. I buy a horse if it can do the job you want it for, not because it is bred by so and so, IMO I don't believe it makes a horse.

However, I think you have over priced him, and done a dishonest ad. If you believe he is 5, put him as 5. Don't turn round and tell them something different when they ring, because they then wont believe a word you tell them. out of interest, what hard evidence have you got to prove/disprove he is not the age you thought he was when you brought him? I would go on what his passport/vaccination cert says, and stick at it.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Could you not even keep him 'til next spring? Get him fit again, compete him a few hunter trials etc so people see him out and about, prices are up in spring so if sound, that price might be ok. And then you have time to get his passport changed which you can do with vet report, as YO's daughters horse was younger than they thought and they've had his changed recently.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh yes I agree there Katb, I paid more than that for Oshk with unknown breeding, just because he had a smashing jump and he was sound as a pound, proven ability and scope. My problem is with this horse's mystery lameness. Is it rumour or fact that Toytown (z.phillips) has an unknown breeding? x

KatB

Visit site
Fact! And the winner of last years BYEH 4yr old champs, some of the most talented horses I've seen have been unknown, makes them no less of a horse. Just becoming more unheard of because of the trend of foreign horses with a huge pedigree coming over....

And yes Rosiie, my boy is the same, and as much as I would like to know how he is bred, it makes no difference to what sort of horse he is, as Oshk proves!

JessPickle

Visit site
HMM I think your more likely to get into a legal battle by putting age 7! He is a very nice horse, but I think I would definetly want to at least know a reason for the lameness before buying. Good Luck in selling anyway

RunToEarth

Visit site
Ah, read it in the Dailymail, didnt know what to believe, but that makes me feel a whole lot better about Oshk, after I have had a lesson in Breeding and blood lines today
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the comment of not paying anymore than 2k for a horse with no papers or breeding. I buy a horse if it can do the job you want it for, not because it is bred by so and so, IMO I don't believe it makes a horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that you buy a horse to do a job and tried to explain, obviously not well!!!! that my feeling is, for £6k you can buy a good rc horse that has papers etc so why wouldn't you? especially as, although the horse looks like a good rc type it doesn't look better than many of the others on the market in this price so why wouldn't you get them when they have a known history/age/ and haven't been lame???

I'm more bothered about papers so you KNOW it's age and will have records of owners rather than who bred it. (thats in this hypothetical situation in which i am a prospective rc horse buyer - in reality, in dressage, breeding counts for a lot but i agree, in this rc situation i wouldn't be too bothered about parents - it's the rest of it that bothers me)