Did you get what you set out to buy??!

Feival

Visit site
When you decided to go horse shopping did you come home with what you set out looking for? Tell me your stories?!

kittyb

Visit site
Was planning on buying a max 16hh cob and ended up falling in love with a 16.2hh sport horse...

Wouldn't change him for the world though

0310Star

Visit site
3 years ago I was looking for nothing bigger than 15.2hh, between the ages of 8-12 and definitely not a thoroughbred.
I came home with a 16.3hh, 12yo thoroughbred! But I love her :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
My current horse was a freeby, but the last one I bought I went to see with a friend local to sellers, agreed 2 week trial. We'd caught him, tacked him up and ridden all in the same field as no facilities available. My then instructor came to pick him up for me - took one look and said NO WAY - too big (17hh vs my 5 foot 3) we took him to try and my instructor (also YO) couldn't make him do a single thing wrong in 2 weeks and he was as perfect in all the years afterwards.

I only sold him to a good friend of mine because of having kids !!

Kat

Visit site
Brilliant Mrs M!

Did I buy what I set out to by? Er no. She was younger, greener, shorter, finer, and a boring bay. Would I change her for the world? Never! She's perfect!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I certainly did!
In fact I found when I rang about the ad, that I had tried to buy her almost a year before but she had just been sold to the people who were advertising her this time.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Nope, failed on all counts :p wanted a 16.2 TB gelding to event. Got a 15hh cob x mare!

She still made it to Novice and then we diverted to dressage. I do wish she was a bit taller but her attitude was just so awesome, the rest of the shopping list didn't seem to matter any more.

Alphamare

Visit site
I didn't care about breed or sex of height. I cared about 'must be safe in traffic' and not a thoroughbred! Ended up with a chestnut mare, just under 16hh 75% wait for it... Thoroughbred! Not so safe in traffic! Naps and rears to boot! But I get on well with her.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well I was actually shopping around on the internet for bathroom taps when I went a little off piste and found my current horse. I am also a serial buyer of ex racers when I set out to buy something else - I just can't help myself, they all look so bemused that nobody is taking them out galloping anymore that I just feel a compulsion to give them a new job and find them a lovely home. I sold the last one of these to a fabulous home in May and I've promised myself not to get any more now:eek:

ladyt25

Visit site
Ask me in a year! By that time I am hoping mine will allow a saddle on a again and I will spend less time flying in the air! :)

Other than that yes, my old horse, I saw his ad and had to go see him and he was everything I wanted. I never wanted a bay or a 'normal' colour so loved it when I saw this golden dun with white blaze.

As for the latest addition, I initially was looking for something around 3yo/4yo but quickly realised I could not afford that so instead bought a 15mth old. Again, I wanted a coloured of some description (another dun would have been ideal but they were pricey!). So, he's a chestnut and white and has turned out the build I wanted (he's 4 now) and was going well in initial backing stages. We've hit a blip but I am hoping within a year/two years I will get there and want to be in the situation where I can think back and go "oh, do you remember when he did x, y &z....!"

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Yes, I wanted a 2-4 year old filly, 14-15hh filly & that's exactly what I got. I was 15 at the time & got her from a horse market......

2nd horse I got I wanted a filly, got a little weanling filly almost straight off the forest, so yes I got what I wanted there too :D

My Shetland I acquired without meaning too & my youngsters are the aboves daughter & son :)

rachyblue

Visit site
Only thing I got right was the gender! Was looking for a nice experienced dressage schoolmaster. Came back with a 14 month old Hanoverian!

fallenangel123

Visit site
I wanted something 15hh+ to do dressage on, got a 13.2hh fell mare. She did get 61.75% today doing her third prelim so not too shabby.

I once went out for hoover bags and came home with a goat tho!

blood_magik

Visit site
I wanted a warmblood gelding between 16.2 and 17h and 8-10 years old, been there and done that confidence-giver with the scope for 1.30s.
I came home with a very green 6 year old chestnut IDx gelding standing 17.1 with the scope for Grand Prix. :eek:

He was 17.2 the last time I measured him and he's not done growing.

ThreeTB's

Visit site
I once went out for hoover bags and came home with a goat tho!

Isn't that always the way?? ;)

I wanted an older, been-there-done-it, small, black, hairy gelding - and got a 4yr old 16.2 chestnut TB! Only the gender was correct, but we've still got him 11 years later :)

Next one wasn't too far off - a 5-8 year old TB (preferably ex racer and dark bay) gelding, about 15.2 - fits the bill but was 13 when I bought him. Something about his photo drew me to him and I had to have him, even though we wanted a younger one as the other 2 were getting on a bit!

Ella19

Visit site
I wanted a 15.2hh ish or native x tb to live out, riding club type, not grey as just had one of those, a mare prefered, age 6-10.

Ended up with the best horse for me ever BUT just 15hh, eventer type, flea bitten grey, full tb and only just turned 4!

domsmith

Visit site
Wanted a weight carrying, happy hacking cob or similar.
Found Buddy, a Bavarian Warmblood gelding, 16.3. accomplished jumper, dressage possible. far too good for me, but we have just hit it off. maybe one day ill be good enough for him.

dominic

ellie11987

Visit site
I wanted a 15.2-16.3hh 'been-there-done-it-all' 8-11yo. No TB's, no green or temperamental horses or poor dooers.

Came home with a quirky 6yo exracer than had done ****** all since leaving the track really that sweats off weight being a looney.

Would I change her? No way :)

LeannePip

Visit site
Not in the slightest!

I was 15, wanted a 16hh coloured gelding for all riding club activities, ISH/Warmblood x/or similar between 7-11years old. . .

Ended up with a 15month old, welsh part bred filly, who is Bay! who had not only done absolutly nothing - she was compleetly wild too! but i'd heard she jumped a 5bar gate and she also had four white socks! so it was pretty much a done deal! ;)

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
Was looking for a sane, sensible first horse who could do a bit of everything. Came home with an Arab, who has turned out to be all these things and more. Don't think I'd buy anything else now (so next time I'll probably come home with a giraffe)!

starryeyed

Visit site
I managed to find exactly what I was after, my actual dream horse!!! Could not believe it when I saw her advert - Right colour, height, type, age - everything! And only an hour away!
If i'm completely honest I had set out for something slightly less insane, and certainly didn't want anything bolshy and difficult to handle on the ground (due to bad experiences with previous horse) - which she unfortunately definitely is!!
However I feel so lucky to have her and she brings the biggest smile to my face. She has such a huge amount of enthusiasm about everything, every day is exciting for her and I have never been as happy on-board a horse as I am on her, love her to pieces.

Kallibear

Visit site
Yes, but my shopping list was short.

It needed to be a quiet, sensible 16.2 ish youngster with a bit of bone and within budget.

Prefeable but not essential was : not grey (ideally dun or chestnut), a gelding, pref ID x TB

Roo was bought unseen and delivered from Ireland and ticks all boxes and has turned out fabulous so far and one of the nicest natured, soppy horses I've ever met.

9tails

Visit site
Yes, and more. I wanted a 16hh plus nicely marked mare for the longterm who could turn her hoof to anything. I bought an advertised "not for novices, needs to be worked daily" 16.1 Gelderlander. She's a confidence giving superstar who does everything asked; goes hunting like a pro, hacks out on the buckle, jumps like a stag and stands like a rock at shows.

becca1305

Visit site
Two are exactly what I was looking for. One a fab event schoolmaster over 16.2hh and under 13 (shes 16.3hh&1/2inch and 10), the other an easy project to produce for sale - exactly that except I decided despite being a bit short for me at 16hh I couldn't bear to part her!

One on the other hand is a little different. I was looking for a 3/4yo ISH to make around 16.1hh- 16.3hh. Something again that would hopefully appeal to the market once backed. When at the stud I fell in love with a Hanoverian chestnut 2yo filly (who was supposed to make 16.2hh) I now have a 17.1hh 4yo chestnut mare who may or may not have finished growing! But as my first proper youngster personality was most important and shes been such an easy baby and a pleasure to own :).

Echo24

Visit site
Had in my mind a 14.2hh native type aged 10 years or older that had been there and done it. Ended up with a fjord yearling instead!