Did you get what you set out to buy??!

tikino

Visit site
no i went to uy i nice sports horse 16h2 - 17h 4-6 yr old and not bay preferably grey and mare and i bought a 16h2 9 yr old bay gelding by arko and i have to say he is such a lovely boy

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I wanted a young coloured warmblood, 17hh+ with potential for a bit of everything. I bought a 14.2hh cob who grew 3 inches and can do everything I want. I do wish he was taller, however cos I feel stupidly tall on him.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Yes - Went to get something I could do mainly dressage but also RC activities on - WB / ISH type and came with 7yr old WB although the first one temperamentally wasn't suited and was swapped fairly swiftly for another 10 yr old WB who I have had for 8 years.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
First time: not really. I wanted a pure-bred arab gelding. I bought a part-bred arab mare. But she has been the most phenomenal horse/pony you could ask for.

With my second, I wasn't really looking, but had I been, she would have been on my list: pure bred Arab mare, chestnut, very high % crabbet from a very well known and well respected stud. She is much like my first horse. I have a type.

only_me

Visit site
Went looking for a gelding no bigger than 16.2 and not grey or coloured.

Ended up with a 17h coloured horse ;) at least it wasnt a mare!! :)

Tia0513

Visit site
Previously, no. I had in mind I wanted a mare, about 4-5 yrs, at least 16.3 and preferably coloured. What I bought was a solid bay appaloosa colt foal!

After losing him in May I had strict instructions to make a list and stick to it, and I wasn't to buy the first thing I saw (so my brother said!). Well, I wanted an ID or IDx, at least 16hh, about 4/5yrs old and sensible/sane. I very nearly stuck to all of it - bought a 3 yr old 16.1hh IDxTB filly who is obviously still growing and thankfully has a very laid back approach to life! Oh and she was the first I saw :D No point in looking further when you see something you like!

muddygreymare

Visit site
Well, I told my dad I was going to buy a rabbit, he comes home from a business trip to Hong Kong and there was a horse in. Field which just happened to belong to me ;) Seriously though, I said I didn't want a cob, a mare or a grey and I came home with a grey skewbald cobxID mare :p She's an absolute star though, wouldn't swap her for the world.

Spangie

Visit site
no, went looking for 'done a bit' event horse, had a budget malfunction and ended up with unbroken 5 year old. still i'm sure in a few years he'll be perfect!

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Nope. Set out looking for a 16hh 10 year old plus allrounder and ended up with a 16.3hh 4 year old who'd been broken and turned away! I'm quite glad in a way i was so naive then when i was horse hunting as if i'd been looking now and viewed Fabio there's no way i'd have bought him! He's turned out to be a good boy though. :)

Jenna1406

Visit site
I always wanted another bay gelding after having own before and had to sell at the time due to finances but My friend wanted me to ride her 8 year old chestnut mare so she could take pictures for her advert, well I still have her 6 years on and wouldnt change her for the world.

also bought a couloured yearling - when I used to say I would never have a coloured................oh and my chestnut is also classed as a red skewbald as she has a white patch on her side and is chaps registered lol

mytwofriends

Visit site
Went for a jumping pony for my daughters. Came back with a 16.2 rescue which needed TLC and tons of rehab. So glad it happened that way!

HBrae2

Visit site
Nope. My criteria consisted of not a welsh as they're always fizzy and nothing under 7 years old. Yep, ended up with a 4 year old Welsh and he is absolutely perfect (and not fizzy!). The only pony I have ever sold (keep them for life) was one that ticked EVERY box on my long list (breed, height, gender, age, results etc) but we just weren't right for each other. Would never be so rigid again as I believe the reason I bought him was BECAUSE he ticked all the boxes and nothing else had, not because I felt any connection to him - I think you have to go with your heart more than your head.

wench

Visit site
Wanted a first horse, thought I would end up with a coloured cob. Was shown a horse someone thought would be perfect for me. Told it was tb x id, and 16hh. Horse was perfect and bought him. Only afterwards did I realise he was probably all TB (or 95% TB), and about 16.3... However if I had been told the latter two before looking at him, I would never have got on him!

Alphamare

Visit site
Nope. My criteria consisted of not a welsh as they're always fizzy and nothing under 7 years old. Yep, ended up with a 4 year old Welsh and he is absolutely perfect (and not fizzy!). The only pony I have ever sold (keep them for life) was one that ticked EVERY box on my long list (breed, height, gender, age, results etc) but we just weren't right for each other. Would never be so rigid again as I believe the reason I bought him was BECAUSE he ticked all the boxes and nothing else had, not because I felt any connection to him - I think you have to go with your heart more than your head.

I ended up with one like this. Made a list. Got exactly what was on the list. But had no end of trouble. Some of my best horses are ones I wasn't looking for.

Merrymoles

Visit site
More or less. Didn't really want another coloured but ended up with one anyway but that was probably to do with my shopping list which was 15-16hh with plenty of bone, traffic proof hacker with ability to do low level dressage, hunter trials and jumping.
Ended up with a 10-year-old 15.1 piebald gelding with a good attitude and, although currently lame, we have made lots of progress this year so may be able to start competing next summer. I was his fifth owner in 13 months.
What I didn't expect to get for my budget was a forward-going horse who absolutely loves his work, shoves his head into his bridle and is the most affectionate horse that I've ever met!
Vet coming this week so hopefully we can get back to work as soon as possible but, if not, don't think I could part with him after nine months of ownership.
He's not an angel by any score but he's definitely my boy!

OrionDuca

Visit site
Not even slightly! I wanted a 16hh ish, sports horse type to jump and start competing, looking at around 10yr old. Ended up buying a 2 yr old gypsey vanner type cob that currently stands at 13.3hh!

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Absolutely, this last time, anyway. I've had a variety of horses that 'found me' before, generally not my ideal, but they've all been wonderful in their own ways. My horse of a lifetime, now dead, was half Cleveland Bay and I believe that the very best of her was from that side of her breeding. For that reason I set my heart on, and went out to buy, an unbroken CB youngster to start myself, and that's what I got. Only time will tell if what I got was what I wanted in a horse!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I've got more accurate to what I want over the years and much more picky - now my only problem is finding a baby Utopia for tuppence ha'penny....

budley95

Visit site
Sort of. Wanted a 4-7 year old betwen 15.2hh-16hh that was able to do some low level ODE to begin with and work our way up.

I wasn't fussed whether it was mare or gelding, not a stallion though. And I didn't mind about colour or breed, as long as we got on.

Got a 16.3hh (well 16.2 and a half) 5 year old just backed and just gelded nut job. But he's turned out nice in my biased opinion :D He was the right age. And we did manage a small ODE 6 months later...

wyrdsister

Visit site
Hehe, yes and no! Last horsey shopping expedition was for a good friend, who is what I would call a "competent novice." The shopping list was 13.2-14.2hh, gelding, preferably over 10 and probably in the over 13 bracket (tight budget), been there, done that, got the t-shirt type, cobby, bonus if coloured. We came home with a 15hh, 5 year old mare, registered Appy and technically coloured (few spot, so pretty much solid cream with some nifty black eyeliner)! In short, the complete reverse of what we were looking for! That said, she's an absolute gem, great basic grounding in everything, sane and sensible and polite, and just stands there with a long suffering expression when her owner does something a bit dippy.

Last horse for me, I was very firmly not buying anything at all. Ended up with a headcase youngster in what I consider to be a spectacularly silly colour (spotty, not really my thing). She was also supposed to make 16/16.2hh. She's 17.1hh and still going... She is, however, shaping up very nicely so I've sort of forgiven myself!

Mrs M - LOVE your post!

Last edited:

kerrieberry2

Visit site
Got the right breed but that was it!

was told about a dun 7month old connie x tb, would have made 15'2, so would have basically been my current mare but 27 yrs younger! I was going to name her mini! the breeders decided to keep her a while longer, so I decided to find something else! so got my boy, never wanted a gelding, and never wanted a bay! so I've ended up with a bay gelding that is 3 now and already about 16'2, so bigger than I wanted too! but I love him!

whizzer

Visit site
Wanted a max 16hh TB cross,middleweight. Ended up with very lightweight TB who grew to 16.2hh despite me being told he'd be 15.2hh! He's so fine that its a good job he got to the height he did! He's been a great horse though so no regrets. Want a youngster next year & this time I'll be sticking very firmly to my criteria.