Difference between Sprenger and Neue Schule bits

HelenBack

Visit site
Can anyone enlighten me please? I've used NS in the past (horse hated them) but never Sprenger.

This is for a new horse, an ex-racer who has learnt the basics of working in an outline in walk but that's about it. Generally he wants to go too fast within the pace so the main challenge is slowing him down at the moment. He can be quite strong in my hand but also a bit wary of the contact.

Obviously I know a lot of this is just time and learning a new way of going both for his mind and his muscles and we're mostly doing hacking at the moment with just a small amount of schooling to start to build some foundations. I want to make sure he's as comfortable as possible with his tack too though.

Early indications are that he prefers an eggbutt and I've got him in a Myler at the moment because that's what I've got. I wonder if the mouthpiece might be a bit thin for his sensitive mouth though and maybe something slightly thicker and possibly with a lozenge might be a bit more gentle.

Any thoughts?

lynz88

Visit site
I've not used Sprenger but have NS and my horse loves the NS. Not sure the difference tbh so unfortunately can't help there. I use the NS Verbindend and it keeps him from leaning on me. When he was a baby I used a full cheek and then moved to D-ring. He was very heavy in my hand in the d-ring so eventually decided to try him in an eggbutt but don't think it was his fave. Moved him onto the NS though was debating a Sprenger but he has liked it since day 1. I'm a fan of "doing fix it if it ain't broke" so haven't tried anything else.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
there are so many designs within each brand it's not really possible to generalise IMO.
I have used both for different horses though the Sprenger KKs are the ones i have hung onto as I generally start with them with a new horse, but again there are variations(different thicknesses etc). I have found that the sprenger aurigan metal wears slightly better than the NS salox but not vastly different.

oldie48

Visit site
I've used both but for me it's not about the make of the bit but it's what suits the horse. I've used a bit fitter in the past and found it helpful when a horse has not gone nicely in a plain french link bit or something else I've had kicking around the yard.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had both. The Sprenger is now over 20 years old. It is dull but still functioning.

The Neue Schule I had snapped apart whilst out hacking. They have since changed the design, but they were less than interested when I reported it despite the bit being quite new and little used. They did eventually withdraw it from sale (others had also snapped by then) but there was no mass recall. Because of that, putting customers in danger, I would not recommend them again.

HelenBack

Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I know there are multiple designs within each brand which makes it even more complicated and they go on in the descriptions about how great each particular one is. There's just too much choice really and obviously have no idea which ones he might or might not like.

Think I'll start with one of the bit banks and if I don't find something he likes after a few goes with them I'll look into getting a bit fitter out.

Ratface

Visit site
Bit banks are a good idea. I've used Myler, Sprenger and NS in the past, depending on the horse's mouth, tongue thickness and height of palate.
Now just use a NS, as it suits my current horse.