'different' showing classes ideas

Annagain

Visit site
I'm tentatively putting together a list of classes for an inter riding club competition (this is just an idea to put to some of our neighbouring clubs so far from a reality at the moment) and would like to include some showing classes as well as team SJ and dressage competitions. I don't want it to be too serious as we already have BRC competitions for the 'serious' competitor. Can anybody think of any fun classes we could put on please? Beyond the obvious (given the context) Riding Club Horse, I'm a bit stumped! I'm trying to aim for the really grass roots rider who might be intimidated by SJ or dressage but could cope with riding around in a group in walk / trot - think novelty classes but for adults!

Roxylola

Visit site
Well, depending on how novelty and I'd totally do these as an adult just for giggles - you could go with things like prettiest mare, most handsome gelding, nicest mane and tail (plaited and natural), horse most like it's rider/handler, tack and turnout isn't exactly novelty but might work. Handy pony type stuff is always fun.

Annagain

Visit site
I like horse most like its rider and I sort of like best 6 legs but not sure it's the most politically correct these days! What about horse and rider best suited to each other rather than most like its rider so it's more focused on the relationship rather than just how they look? I was thinking of a trec obstacle course as a separate discipline.

Visit site
I have a Ridden Reprobates class at my racehorse show! The intention of it being that horses have to be safe but they don't necessarily agree to how show horses go and would rather go like a giraffe or canter sideways etc. Some racehorses will never get the idea of bringing their heads out of the clouds and it gives them something to do under saddle.

Annagain

Visit site
I have a Ridden Reprobates class at my racehorse show! The intention of it being that horses have to be safe but they don't necessarily agree to how show horses go and would rather go like a giraffe or canter sideways etc. Some racehorses will never get the idea of bringing their heads out of the clouds and it gives them something to do under saddle.

I love this - and know exactly who my club would get to do that. We have an ex-pacer who is fantastic given his past but would never win a showing class

For the SJ I was thinking of doing teams of 5 - 4 riders - one to ride at each of 60,70,80 and 90 and one person to do it on foot? What do you think?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
A 'my lovely happy hacker' class. Lumps and bumps don't matter, any breed, any age and any size, lead rein entries also OK. All entries must wear hi viz and do walk and trot in the ring. Maybe have a gate that can be opened, gone through and then closed again (mounted or dismount and then remount - maybe have a block available for remounting - to check useful hacking gate opening abilities).

Judged on obedience to rider's commands
Time for doing the gate
Extra points for being visible from space

Annagain

Visit site
A 'my lovely happy hacker' class. Lumps and bumps don't matter, any breed, any age and any size, lead rein entries also OK. All entries must wear hi viz and do walk and trot in the ring. Maybe have a gate that can be opened, gone through and then closed again (mounted or dismount and then remount - maybe have a block available for remounting - to check useful hacking gate opening abilities).

Judged on obedience to rider's commands
Time for doing the gate
Extra points for being visible from space

Yes! I love this one. 2 points per item of hi-viz! It will probably be in an outdoor arena so there'll definitely be a gate. I might do this instead of the trec and pop a couple of trec style obstacles in - low branches, hazards to go past etc.

Trouper

Visit site
Some old fashioned gymkhana races but done in relay teams for each club - and must be done in walk to stop the mad gallopers and give more nervous riders a chance. Also shows who can get their steeds to do good extended walks!

Snowfilly

Visit site
I've seen 'best figure 8 in trot' as a fun class before now. Nice and easy.

Ridden dissimilar pairs? Great for the people with odd looking horses!

Adult handlers class judged solely on your handling skills?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Horse the judge most wants to take home.

Best rider in the context of the horse's behaviour/schooling/conformation. (Rider on a bucker could win.)

Judge must explain why! Can I do the judging please?

Visit site
Horse with the worst conformation. I would love to judge that !

I'm not sure it would get many entries as most people won't look past their horses halo! And to be honest in this day and age unless you are into showing how many people actually what conformation faults are beyond a bit pigeon toed? As much fun as the class would be I'm not sure I would like to be crowned the winner of it!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
We used to do riding club teams showing.
Not a pairs class, but teams of 3. If there are a lot of juniors, then each team had to have a minimum of 1 junior in it.
Quite a spectacle to judge, and not easy to ride, but basically another showing class.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I'm not sure it would get many entries as most people won't look past their horses halo! And to be honest in this day and age unless you are into showing how many people actually what conformation faults are beyond a bit pigeon toed? As much fun as the class would be I'm not sure I would like to be crowned the winner of it!

Replace worst confo with most unique confo, that would fool them all !

catkin

Visit site
Could you base a class on the native pony breeds 'traditional ridden' classes for Welsh/Fells etc where their spectacular trot is the centrepiece - could be extended to gypsy cobs and your trotter?

Love the idea of pairs and teams

and a walk gymkhana has lots of potential for some fun whilst involving lots of people (the speedies just have to turn a circle if they break pace)

silv

Visit site
Based on some of the classes I have seen over here, for fun
Best walking mount
Best trotting mount
Horse most suitable for a beginner rider

or more serious
Best Paced and Mannered horse (self explanatory)
Horse suitable for a lady rider
Horse suitable for a gentleman rider (can be ridden by either a lady or gentleman) but cannot do both classes.
Unity class which is judged on presentation, conformation, performance and how the combination suit each other. (can either be formal or informal)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Bareback Dollar - no saddle, ride round with £5 note (used to be $ or £1.00). Walk, trot, canter, the last one with note still under knee, where the judge places it, is the winner. I am the proud winner of one of these, I was so happy to beat the youngsters - although it has potential to have horses and bodies everywhere!