Difficult decision, what would you do?

jumpthemoon

Visit site
Hi :)
I haven't posted on here for a while, but I really could do with some advice and maybe ideas if poss.
My financial situation is going to change drastically in the near future. I currently have two horses and I'm not going to be able to keep them both, I won't be able to afford it. My problem is what to do for the best.

Horse 1 I have had for 4 years. He's 19-year-old TB with arthritis. He's great for riding off road, but terrible in traffic. He can be schooled but only in walk and trot really as he struggles with canter in the school. He is too stiff to cope with a WT dressage test. He has a tendency to go lame in the summer for a couple of months and drops weight drastically in the winter. That said, he's a lovely horse and generally healthy apart from the mobility issues.

Horse 2 is my riding horse and is perfectly fine in all ways.

The obvious choice would be to sell horse 2, as he is more saleable. However, this leaves me with a horse I can't really ride or do anything with (we dont have off road hacking nearby). I'm going to need something to take my mind off things and help keep me sane, the best option for me would really be to keep horse 2.

If you were in this position, what would you do? I'm looking for ideas and any options I haven't considered.

Thank you

Velcrobum

Visit site
Perhaps the kindest thing would be to put horse 1 to sleep. Even if he is retired he is still going to cost money as he will need supplementary feeding if he drops weight (that will probably get worse as he gets older). If lame will need medications, he is going to be an expensive field ornament. Unless you can find a well wisher who is prepared to take him on your options are very limited.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Realistically, the best option is pts the TB. He won't know anything about it, his stiffness and winter weight loss will come to an end and you will find your finances are considerably easier. At 19 and very stiff, how long would it be before you had to pts even if finance wasn't an issue?

I know it is much easier for me to say that, than for you to do it.

jumpthemoon

Visit site
Realistically, the best option is pts the TB. He won't know anything about it, his stiffness and winter weight loss will come to an end and you will find your finances are considerably easier. At 19 and very stiff, how long would it be before you had to pts even if finance wasn't an issue?

I know it is much easier for me to say that, than for you to do it.

This is kind of the route I'm thinking. I worry that if I find somewhere to send him, he'll end up in a bad place at some point. I'm not sure how much longer he'll go on anyway as he really struggles with the winter and the hard ground in the summer sends him lame. I just am not sure I'm doing the right thing. I looked at retirement livery but it's so expensive. I don't have the luxury of grass livery at the moment and if I had horses in two different places, the money I'd save on livery I would spend on fuel, to-ing and fro-ing.
I have looked to see if I can see any charities that take on horses like this but I suppose there are so many they can't take everything in :-(

BOWS28

Visit site
I have to agree with PS, above. Without financial strain it would be a different story. But he isn't up to the job you want him to do so i would say its kinder to pts and continue to enjoy your riding horse. Again, agree with PS it is always easier said than done but it's food for thought.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This is kind of the route I'm thinking. I worry that if I find somewhere to send him, he'll end up in a bad place at some point. I'm not sure how much longer he'll go on anyway as he really struggles with the winter and the hard ground in the summer sends him lame. I just am not sure I'm doing the right thing. I looked at retirement livery but it's so expensive. I don't have the luxury of grass livery at the moment and if I had horses in two different places, the money I'd save on livery I would spend on fuel, to-ing and fro-ing.
I have looked to see if I can see any charities that take on horses like this but I suppose there are so many they can't take everything in :-(

Honestly, if you had posted asking for advice about what to do with a 19 yr old that struggles to keep weight on in winter and doesn't cope well with hard ground in winter, without mentioning finances, I think you would have got several answers saying pts before the winter weather sets in. You are not able to see this clearly because your emotions are involved and you know that really you could do with the money you would save - and you will always get some numpty who says 'send him to retirement livery/companion home'.

Realistically retirement livery isn't a good idea for a horse that doesn't hold its weight but being stabled in winter isn't a good option for an arthritic horse that needs to keep moving. What would you tell a friend in a similar position.?

ihatework

Visit site
Honestly, if you had posted asking for advice about what to do with a 19 yr old that struggles to keep weight on in winter and doesn't cope well with hard ground in winter, without mentioning finances, I think you would have got several answers saying pts before the winter weather sets in. You are not able to see this clearly because your emotions are involved and you know that really you could do with the money you would save - and you will always get some numpty who says 'send him to retirement livery/companion home'.

Realistically retirement livery isn't a good idea for a horse that doesn't hold its weight but being stabled in winter isn't a good option for an arthritic horse that needs to keep moving. What would you tell a friend in a similar position.?

Whilst I don’t disagree with any of what you have written and would never condemn the OP for putting the horse down - there are plenty that flourish in the (right) field once the stresses of being ridden are removed. I’ve known a number of skinnies that slowly put on weight!! I give the horses I like a chance to retire before putting them down.

Outdoorgirl

Visit site
I also agree with PS. I had a homebred 19 yr old pts last summer. He was exactly the same as yours - losing weight, constantly lame, arthritic. Don't feel bad about it, just think that he won't be in any discomfort any more. I gave mine a load of Danilon, under the vets instructions, so he wasn't sore, he had a morning out in the field eating and then went. In the end the decision wasn't too difficult but saying goodbye always is.

sport horse

Visit site
I will incur the wrath of many on here but I think I would give horse 1 the summer and then let him go before the winter. He is not sound which in reality means he is in pain. He loses weight in the winter which means he has other health issues. Sadly neither of these are going to get better. Chucking him in a field when he is lame is hardly good welfare practice. It is a very hard decision to make

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Whilst I don’t disagree with any of what you have written and would never condemn the OP for putting the horse down - there are plenty that flourish in the (right) field once the stresses of being ridden are removed. I’ve known a number of skinnies that slowly put on weight!! I give the horses I like a chance to retire before putting them down.

I have retired all my horses that have lived long enough to be able to do so, one was retired for 12 years BUT my horses are kept at home, they stay in their usual routine with their field mates and I am not looking to reduce my outgoings. I am not sure that the implication of your last sentence is helpful to OP, under the circumstances.

ihatework

Visit site
I have retired all my horses that have lived long enough to be able to do so, one was retired for 12 years BUT my horses are kept at home, they stay in their usual routine with their field mates and I am not looking to reduce my outgoings. I am not sure that the implication of your last sentence is helpful under the circumstances.

The OP didn’t ask ‘would it be wrong to PTS’ they asked ‘what would you do’

You then said anyone suggesting retirement was a numpty 🤷‍♀️

Most confused.

Always good to hear other viewpoints or options before deciding on what is best in your own circumstances, which is what I interpreted from the OPs question.

A horse that struggles to maintain weight and has spells of lameness under saddle doesn’t necessarily equate to a welfare or ‘ending suffering’ issue retired.

To reiterate, I have no issue with PTS for convenience reasons, especially in these types of circumstances. It’s realistic and practical. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t other options if the OP wanted to explore them.

vhf

Visit site
I'm really very sorry for the position you're in, but I think you do know what to do, and are looking for support in your decision. I also think you have that here. You owe your oldie the best care and treatment, and a respectful and dignified end. You don't owe him life no matter what. You also owe the same to your other horse, but his end is hopefully much further away. Passing him on means you can no longer secure his future either, it's just way more likely he will land up with someone who can (or we'd never sell anything, ever!). But in the meantime, you'd be missing out on your passion, and if you're facing big changes, you will need your horse fix. Don't forget you are responsible for yourself in this equation too. Good luck whatever you decide.

jumpthemoon

Visit site
I'm really very sorry for the position you're in, but I think you do know what to do, and are looking for support in your decision. I also think you have that here. You owe your oldie the best care and treatment, and a respectful and dignified end. You don't owe him life no matter what. You also owe the same to your other horse, but his end is hopefully much further away. Passing him on means you can no longer secure his future either, it's just way more likely he will land up with someone who can (or we'd never sell anything, ever!). But in the meantime, you'd be missing out on your passion, and if you're facing big changes, you will need your horse fix. Don't forget you are responsible for yourself in this equation too. Good luck whatever you decide.

Yes, I guess you are right. I just feel bad about doing it. The other options aren't great either though. Thank you everyone x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The OP didn’t ask ‘would it be wrong to PTS’ they asked ‘what would you do’

You then said anyone suggesting retirement was a numpty 🤷‍♀️

Most confused.

Always good to hear other viewpoints or options before deciding on what is best in your own circumstances, which is what I interpreted from the OPs question.

A horse that struggles to maintain weight and has spells of lameness under saddle doesn’t necessarily equate to a welfare or ‘ending suffering’ issue retired.

To reiterate, I have no issue with PTS for convenience reasons, especially in these types of circumstances. It’s realistic and practical. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t other options if the OP wanted to explore them.

I think that you must have missed part of OP's initial post :confused:

Hi :)

My financial situation is going to change drastically in the near future. I currently have two horses and I'm not going to be able to keep them both, I won't be able to afford it. My problem is what to do for the best.

OP, I am sorry you find yourself in this position, it is never any easy decision to make, even when you are sure that pts is the right thing to do.

ihatework

Visit site
Nope PaS didn’t miss a dickie bird.
The cost of keeping a ridden horse could be very similar to the cost of keeping a retired one plus a shared one, circumstances dependant.

That said, in retrospect, I’ve changed my mind.
Irrespective of the decision on horse 1, as finances are under question I’d definitely sell horse 2 whilst sound, with value and a good chance of a long term home. This will provide a financial buffer. I’d then look to share a horse for riding fix/sanity.

_Annie_

Visit site
For me, it would depend why he was stiff, and whether anything could be done about it.

Last August, I was in a similar position, I chose to sell the younger one & keep my pensioner, poor doing tb. I don't regret it. But we've managed to get his arthritis under control & he's no longer stiff.

I must admit, I'm already worrying about winter. I don't know what the right choice is to be honest.

vhf

Visit site
Yes, I guess you are right. I just feel bad about doing it. The other options aren't great either though. Thank you everyone x

Of course you feel bad. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a caring owner, and you wouldn't be asking the question. Some parts of horse ownership are basically a bit rough to cope with. XX

Kezzabell2

Visit site
could you move them both to somewhere that does grass livery, it would probably do the old one the world of good to be out moving more (I'm assuming that you aren't on grass livery at the moment)

I had a horse on loan for 3 years who had arthritis and she wasn't lame or stiff the whole time as she was out 24/7

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My old horse vet once said to me 'don't bankrupt yourself keeping old horses'. He had, had one lcient who crippled herself financially keeping hers.
It was very wise advice as I had several elderly horses at the time and it made me think very hard about what I was doing. I had one retired brood mare at the time who was struggling to keep weight on even with a lot of hard feed and I gritted my teeth and had her put down. I have my own grazing so most of my others have been with me for life but as you get older and money gets short you have to know when to be sensible. In the OP's shoes I think PTS is a realistic option, albeit very hard.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I often read posts about horses with mobility issues wondering why so many people don't understand that arthritis is not just a mechanical stiffness. Any human with it will tell you that no painkiller will remove it completely, and it hurts like hell. Horses with mobility issues due to arthritis are in pain. Retired or in work, if they are stiff, they are in pain.

OP in your situation, I would put your old horse down, no question.

SEL

Visit site
I used to work at a riding school where we ended up with a few freebies who sound much like your boy. I'm pretty sure two of them had been given away as companions and passed on. They ended up carting beginners about, when really they should have been retired to a field - it made me realise that I would always rather PTS than pass on and risk that situation.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I often read posts about horses with mobility issues wondering why so many people don't understand that arthritis is not just a mechanical stiffness. Any human with it will tell you that no painkiller will remove it completely, and it hurts like hell. Horses with mobility issues due to arthritis are in pain. Retired or in work, if they are stiff, they are in pain.

OP in your situation, I would put your old horse down, no question.

^^^^^^^
This exactly!!
I have arthritis in my back, neck, hands I can assure anyone pain killers help but do not take the pain away completely. One of the therapies for back issues is to keep mobile and I can assure anyone that that hurts and does not get rid of stiffness. So chucking the poor horse in a field so he can move around for retirement is not going to change his condition. This poor TB while he might have a lovely nature is sore from arthritis shown by stiffness, lameness for 2 months in the summer and also struggles to canter. Horse ownership comes with responsibilities which include PTS when needed. I had to PTS a 10yr old last summer it upset me greatly even though it was the only humane thing that could be done for the horse.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Having put a much loved old horse to sleep this year I must say that the time leading up to it I found the worst. I kept putting it off as I couldn't face it and was getting stressed about it. However having done it although sad, I do feel a lot of pressure off me and I can look back on him with pleasure rather than having the worry of knowing the time was coming at the back of my mind all the time. I'm sure the owner suffers more than the horse so don't feel guilty.

AandK

Visit site
Having put a much loved old horse to sleep this year I must say that the time leading up to it I found the worst. I kept putting it off as I couldn't face it and was getting stressed about it. However having done it although sad, I do feel a lot of pressure off me and I can look back on him with pleasure rather than having the worry of knowing the time was coming at the back of my mind all the time. I'm sure the owner suffers more than the horse so don't feel guilty.

I'm facing this decision with my 29yo and dreading it, I got her when she was 7. She has an arthritic knee (among other issues) and has been retired for the best part of 17yrs (if I am honest, I didn't think she would still be around at this age, all things considered!), but it is getting to the point now where she is very close to the line I had drawn. I know if we have another cold winter she will really struggle and there are a couple of things that concern me, although she is otherwise very bright and looking well. I have upped her bute to keep her comfortable for now, but it looks like this summer will be her last. It's a horrible decision to have to make and will be the first time I have had to do it horse wise. But I guess something we sign up to when we bring them into our lives.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I actually think when you typed your OP you knew what you wanted people to say. It's quite a leading post. So I'll say what you want to hear it's ok to PTS a horse that you can no longer guarantee their future.
Answering the question of what would I do; I'd sell the healthy horse and retire the older horse as long as I was happy he was comfortable.