"Discontinued" second hand stuff...what the hell..?!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I innocently wandered into a couple of secondhand Matchy Matchy FB groups looking for cheap stuff (emphasis on CHEAP).
What the hell is going on..?! Someone selling a nice, but clearly well used, Le Mieux saddle pad with ears. Oooh thinks me, nice colour...."how much are the pretty things..??"....
"I'm looking at offers around £90" says extortionist erm..I mean seller.
HOW MUCH..?!?! They would have only cost 60 ish new says me.
Ahhh but they are a discontinued colour so now worth more says seller.

When the AF did this become a "thing"..??!! Discontinued collectibles I sort of understand but second hand horse gear..?! The world has gone nuts ??????

Quigleyandme

Visit site
When I used to put well looked after and still plenty of use to be had out of it but now fairly shabby horse stuff on eBay the bidding could get a bit mad and I’d get really anxious but they would be delighted and leave good feedback. Horse people are weird but I did read today somebody paid $226,000 for a rare Pokemon card.

jkitten

Visit site
When I used to put well looked after and still plenty of use to be had out of it but now fairly shabby horse stuff on eBay the bidding could get a bit mad and I’d get really anxious but they would be delighted and leave good feedback. Horse people are weird but I did read today somebody paid $226,000 for a rare Pokemon card.

People really are odd sometimes. When I bought a house in 2012, the sellers had left a dilapidated old summerhouse in the garden. Nothing fancy at all, just a small one the likes of which you could pick up at any garden centre, only this one was full of dust and spiders, and the wood was now basically grey. I stuck it on eBay for £1 purely in an effort to avoid paying for disposal, thinking I'd count myself lucky if I got £5. Needless to say (!), the thing ended up in a massive bidding war, went for £350, and the charming young couple who bought it spent the better part of a day taking it carefully apart, numbering each section and wrapping the glass panes for reassembly at their own new home. All I can say is I hope they enjoyed it very much!

Last edited:

ecb89

Visit site
I’ve got a teal cc pad which is apparently really popular and people pay silly money for. Shame I won’t be selling it as it’s my favourite colour on my lad

asmp

Visit site
I innocently wandered into a couple of secondhand Matchy Matchy FB groups looking for cheap stuff (emphasis on CHEAP).
What the hell is going on..?! Someone selling a nice, but clearly well used, Le Mieux saddle pad with ears. Oooh thinks me, nice colour...."how much are the pretty things..??"....
"I'm looking at offers around £90" says extortionist erm..I mean seller.
HOW MUCH..?!?! They would have only cost 60 ish new says me.
Ahhh but they are a discontinued colour so now worth more says seller.

When the AF did this become a "thing"..??!! Discontinued collectibles I sort of understand but second hand horse gear..?! The world has gone nuts ??????

if it’s the mustard one I was flabbergasted at the price too! ?

Steerpike

Visit site
I have a never used benetton blue numnah I'm using as my chair cussion in my Tack room, wonder if it's worth anything ?

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
yup it's the only form of savings and investments I'm any good at! I buy things when I see them at a good price and sell them when I need cash :p
The mad(dest) thing about it for me is they’re always discounted before they’re discontinued... so one week you’ll be able to pick up a brand new saddle pad for half price, then wait a month and people are selling the used ones for 40/50 quid!

adamntitch

Visit site
The saddle pads plus fly mask etc a friend and her friend have bidding wars over a lot is discontinued and they do pay a lot for it I say more money than brains sometimes is all about the colours and having every single one

Lammy

Visit site
I recently won a rug on eBay, it was exactly what I was after brand and style wise, (couldn’t give 2 figs about the colour) so I messaged the seller to see if they had a buy it now price. The response? “Oh it’s a discontinued colour so I’ll see what it makes.”
Do people do matchy rugs now? ??‍♀️
I won it at the price I had in mind anyway so I got my bargain ?

SOS

Visit site
I was gifted a full mustard le mieux set a few years ago. Really not my thing so didn’t use it. Tried to sell at a car boot but no real interest, tried to sell online and nothing, almost gave it away.

I found the ears, polos and Saddle pad at the back of my cupboard during lockdown and looked online. They were going for around £100 for the full set but not many around... so I stuck it on eBay not expecting to sell with a silly buy it now price of £180. Well blow me, within an hour it had sold and had 10 bids previous to that. Maybe I should of left it to sell for more but felt guilty! Buyer was very very happy.

mini_b

Visit site
Nope, sadly usually £30 to £35 inc postage. Mustard was selling for 3 figures in the summer but has come back down again. Lots depend on the size and cut as well

ahh thought that one had people fighting over it. (I am no expert, just going on what I’ve seen!)
Mad isn’t it considering when you look at the new shades they aren’t all that different.

50 shades of beige.... but this one is shiny!

vmac66

Visit site
I have a blueberry and Fushcia sitting in my tack room. I'll hang on to them for now. Advertised some Fushcia ears on fb. Sold within minutes of the ad going on and had loads of enquiries.

Flame_

Visit site
I'll be thrilled if this is actually a thing. If people start storing stuff you can't buy anymore then selling it when it's rare. Even if it costs a lot I'm very particular and if I like something I'm devastated if it's no longer available, I'd go for this as a customer. Its a good business idea.

Last edited:

mossycup

Visit site
Same thing happened for a while with sought after discontinued reusable nappy prints. Used nappies going for more than original price. I think people have actually lost their marbles when it comes to stuff like that.
Same with woven wraps - back in the day some folk would pay 800 for essentially a long piece of fabric for your baby to puke on

teapot

Visit site
You have just explained why the RDA were so thrilled when I took them in 3 used Lemieux saddle pads, one Benetton blue, one teal one mulberry! I thought their reaction was a bit odd ?

Or they can't afford decent matchy kit, and bright colours are perfect for RDA sessions ;) So cynical ycbm ;)

I can't stand the Le Mieux stuff at RRP, let alone bonkers second hand prices.