Disgraceful - Surely this horse is far too young?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I wouldn't like one of mine working that hard as a three year old but on another point is it just me that isn't really impressed with him? Not sure why but he just doesn't have the 'spark' that I would look for to breed from.

You know, I'm glad you mentioned the spark thing....

Is it me or has dressage just got really soulless? It's like a conveyor belt of identikit horses doing the same robotic moves over and over again. There seems to be no spirit, no dancing, no personality... No fun!

I hope it's not a sign I'm falling out of love with it...

TandD

Visit site
The one thing I do agree with is this size of rider is not what I would choose for this type of job ..

So what type of rider would you like on a 3 year old totilas stallion who is probably at his first ever away from home ridden event in most likely the biggest event of his life so far? I thought they guy on board did a good job, showed him well, gave plenty of support and confidence. I sure wouldn't be putting a 5ft tall person on board!

tallyho!

Visit site
So what type of rider would you like on a 3 year old totilas stallion who is probably at his first ever away from home ridden event in most likely the biggest event of his life so far? I thought they guy on board did a good job, showed him well, gave plenty of support and confidence. I sure wouldn't be putting a 5ft tall person on board!

A hobbit.

I change my mind, I think a giant with roller skates on.

Girlracer

Visit site
Oh my god, I posted a photo of my rising 3 yo wearing a saddle the other week and got accused of rushing him, yet because they're 'pros' it's suddenly okay with the majority of you?!

2 is too young for the horse to be backed, FULL STOP.

Daytona

Visit site
Don't see it as any different to 2/3 year SJ horses being loose school over 1.80m

Yes it's a lot for a young horse, but these type of horses are business and money talks. They need to be showing off their potential young.

tallyho!

Visit site
Oh my god, I posted a photo of my rising 3 yo wearing a saddle the other week and got accused of rushing him, yet because they're 'pros' it's suddenly okay with the majority of you?!

2 is too young for the horse to be backed, FULL STOP.

It's ok, calm down dear, these people are professional professionals. They know what they are doing.

Goldenstar

Visit site

A tall lanky man or women with a core like Steel and quick reactions .
I did not like the rider he was behind the movement too often and would have been a lot of weight for a three yo .
However he may have been put on there for the day which I could understand . .

Last edited:

doriangrey

Visit site
I won't comment on the rights and wrongs, but the difference between a colt and a mature stallion (physically) at that age is huge. That colt has a massive amount of maturing ahead of him in terms of his stature.

oldie48

Visit site
Interesting thread! this is a top class stallion, why are we comparing it to the average horse? Clearly it's not what you or I would own or breed (or let's face it, be capable of riding). Why would anyone with a horse of this quality "spoil it". I just find it a bit sad that we can't appreciate what we see. Its a lovely horse, with great paces being ridden by a professional rider, who knocks spots off most people posting on here and I'm sure the horse has a great future. It's worth peanuts is it's knackered at 6 but a fortune if still going at 16 and I'm sure that's the aim of his owners.

Jsye

Visit site
I think my main issue here is that everyone knows warmbloods are slow maturing. This colt has clearly been broken for a 'while' and has A LOT of maturing to do.

I feel like in current times money is put before all else - short term gains ahead of a long sound career. There are so many 'broken' horses aged 6,7,8 being advertised 'free to good home'.

Just because someone is a 'professional' doesn't mean they have the god given right to do whatever the hell they want. I've seen some god awful 'professionals'.

I will be very surprised if this colt is still sound by age 8. But hey as long as he sells for a high price now who cares whether he breaks down.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought he looked a very different horse/worked in a much more normal way in the 'at home' video making me think a lot of that is atmosphere and riding style.

I wonder whether they also break them relatively early to see whether they deserve to stay entire too? I don't know, just a thought.

tallyho!

Visit site
You have hit upon a plan there!!! We should rent them out for backing....Guarantee no fall! And can stay on at any speed while no squishing your horse!

Glad you like it! And can possibly do several in one go depending on size of giant hired...

only_me

Visit site
I think my main issue here is that everyone knows warmbloods are slow maturing. This colt has clearly been broken for a 'while' and has A LOT of maturing to do.

Well yeah, of course it has a lot of maturing to do, it is 3! It doesn't mean it can't be sat on, establish the 3 basic paces (as shown in the vid - it just happens that the natural movement is so extravagant than what a normal horse has) and turn away again. The horse could have been easy to back in a matter of weeks and was ridden specifically for this show and could very well be turned away again following this. There are a lot of factors here, which none of us on HHO can know.And not all warmbloods are slow maturing, it depends on the amount of tb. But in any case, this horse does not look like a horse with oodles of schooling, it looks like a weak baby with minimal amount of work and uptight at what could very well be the first "away" outing so naturally fresh and excited.

Don't forget racehorses are RACED at 2 years. This means backing as a yearling or a early 2 year old - I have far more issues with that than a horse backed at 3. And in case anyone hasn't seen earlier point, valegro was backed at 3. He appears to be in pretty good shape ;)

Last edited:

tallyho!

Visit site
Well yeah, of course it has a lot of maturing to do, it is 3! It doesn't mean it can't be sat on, establish the 3 basic paces (as shown in the vid - it just happens that the natural movement is so extravagant than what a normal horse has) and turn away again. The horse could have been easy to back in a matter of weeks and was ridden specifically for this show and could very well be turned away again following this. There are a lot of factors here, which none of us on HHO can know.And not all warmbloods are slow maturing, it depends on the amount of tb. But in any case, this horse does not look like a horse with oodles of schooling, it looks like a weak baby with minimal amount of work and uptight at what could very well be the first "away" outing so naturally fresh and excited.

Don't forget racehorses are RACED at 2 years. This means backing as a yearling or a early 2 year old - I have far more issues with that than a horse backed at 3. And in case anyone hasn't seen earlier point, valegro was backed at 3. He appears to be in pretty good shape ;)

I think there is a market in racing for my giants with roller skates....... I think it would appease delicate types the world over.

windand rain

Visit site
I take it no one knows the percentage wastage of these young horses by top stallions. The wastage in racehorses is close to 90% so perhaps this is an acceptable level for warmbloods too as long as you can sell your ridden three year old for hundreds of thousands of euros dont matter to the professional producer that is it either dead or seriously damaged by 6

tallyho!

Visit site
So soon ?

Ah well I will go and educate someone more affable

Sleep well

Oi! I am very affable, but I don't need educating (as i know everything) and no one wants to clown around with me and I have made a sterling effort tonight! It's been an exhausting hour!

only_me

Visit site
I take it no one knows the percentage wastage of these young horses by top stallions. The wastage in racehorses is close to 90% so perhaps this is an acceptable level for warmbloods too as long as you can sell your ridden three year old for hundreds of thousands of euros dont matter to the professional producer that is it either dead or seriously damaged by 6

Lol you seem to have an issue with me... And the fact that horses are sold for megabucks when young - it is a way of living and quite a lot of people's jobs to produce and sell youngsters!! No one knows the % wastage (as you put it) as so far all his youngstock are still that, young...

Ah well again everyone skips over the fact that valegro was backed at 3, same age as the horse in question.

I'd imagine the fact that this horse in question cost quite a lot to breed the owners only want the best for him and have a long term future in mind, and no expense spared over training and welfare.

Little Alfie

Visit site
Ok I give in,
Meet me under the clocktower at midnight
I shall wear a red carnation in my "left" lapel and carry an old addition of "The thirty nine steps" under my right arm.

All is well my friend, all is well

windand rain

Visit site
No issue with anyone only with those that abuse horses in the name of money whether it be dressage, racing or driving cobs abuse is abuse and money is usually at the root.
I wasnt really interested specifically in the Totillas youngstock but the warmblood market in general I know of many imports that have been sold to the uk that have broken down before they were 8 years old the average being 6 so the money they are marketed for at 3 and 4 is financial gain before they have been broken I would have far greater respect for any breeder if they were responsible enough to refund any money if the horse doesnt make old bones and have the full potential they are pedaling I know there are no guarantees and training is variable but if the horse suffers a break down due to rearing (as in bringing up not standing on their hind legs) then they should be liable. So djd, arthritic changes at an earlier than average age, bone chips etc perhaps then they would think twice about backing at 2