Disgraceful - Surely this horse is far too young?

HBM1

Visit site
Unfortunately it is not uncommon in Europe to back at two. They want a mature looking youngster to market as a stallion. How many of them go on to have a career...not as many as should. Fortunately the vast majority of breeders in this country do not do this. They allow their youngsters to mature prior to backing. But ask yourselves, who do so many mare owners choose for their mares? Yep, the flashy looking two year olds. I know I will always stick with those I can find here.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
This ;) This is the way this horse naturally moves. The contact is a little short and tight sometimes for my liking, but perhaps the alternative would've been him pI$$ing off?! He is trotting and cantering around the school, as would most horses of his age be doing. If they were doing canter half passes and pirouettes then I could understand your point.

Actually, I don't think it is at all natural. The clip of his every day working is completely different. His trot is almost pokey. There is no way he could have developed the trot in the original clip without quite intensive training.

applecart14

Visit site
Err hello? Did anyone actually read what I wrote?

The short pastern takes 9-12 months to fully form. The long pastern 13-15 months. Thne distal radius 3 to 3.5 years (this is the major weight bearing bone of the hind leg - the equivalent of our thigh).
Top of the humerous 3 - 3.5 years. And the major weight bearing scapula is 3 to 3.5 years to reach maturity.

How can we possibly think it is okay to ride young horses constantly at 3?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

The short pastern takes 9-12 months to fully form. The long pastern 13-15 months. Thne distal radius 3 to 3.5 years (this is the major weight bearing bone of the hind leg - the equivalent of our thigh).
Top of the humerous 3 - 3.5 years. And the major weight bearing scapula is 3 to 3.5 years to reach maturity.

Its ok, don't worry. Professional professionals can ride anything, they are different to just normal professionals. Their horses actually mature at 21months.

littleshetland

Visit site
Actually, I don't think it is at all natural. The clip of his every day working is completely different. His trot is almost pokey. There is no way he could have developed the trot in the original clip without quite intensive training.

Perhaps the 'electric' atmosphere has something to do with it? As I'm sure we all know, our horses can 'light up' sometimes when out in public....

Mardy Mare

Visit site
I personally wouldn't want to start a horse so young. I was surprised to see he was being ridden in spurs- I would have thought they would be introduced further on in his education, not as a 2/3 yo. Is this normal?!

fburton

Visit site
Well, this is probably subject for a whole new thread, and of course each horse is an individual - but with youngsters I've had (and some old ones too) boredom can manifest itself in a variety of ways. Sometimes its a change in the horse 'manners' - they can deteriorate, they can run around winding up the rest of the herd, its almost a surplus of energy or they can appear to start dismantling fencing, stables,etc etc. putting them in work can really help to settle them and give them something to do. I think I've said it on here before, but give 'em a job or they'll go self employed......
You're right, it is probably best discussed in a new thread. However, what I will say here is that, while I recognize all the behaviours you mention, I don't see how they can be blamed so definitely on boredom. I can think of a reason for deterioration of 'manners' other than boredom which seems more plausible to me - simply the fact that good habits aren't being reinforced on a regular basis. Actually, I have grave doubts about whether horses can get bored at all - frustrated, yes, but bored? That seems to me like a human emotion that's been given to horses for some people's convenience in explaining certain behaviours. Do young feral horses get bored too? Remember that the original statement was about doing nothing with youngsters.

amandap

Visit site
Actually, I have grave doubts about whether horses can get bored at all - frustrated, yes, but bored? That seems to me like a human emotion that's been given to horses for some people's convenience in explaining certain behaviours. Do young feral horses get bored too? Remember that the original statement was about doing nothing with youngsters.
I think I agree re boredom being used to describe horses. I suppose to compare feral and domestic youngsters we have to take into account how individuals are kept in domestication.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think I agree re boredom being used to describe horses. I suppose to compare feral and domestic youngsters we have to take into account how individuals are kept in domestication.

I think if horses can experiance boredom it's unlikely feral horses ever get that luxury .

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Also the knee takes time to close, most knees don't finish till they are 5 years

windand rain

Visit site
Not sure but I have seen quite a few young horses that appear to be bored silly after three months establishing walk in a school walking round and round with a rider on board until they are plodding and shut down. Seems some do that too in professional training when someone else is paying the bill cynic me

Tnavas

Visit site
Well, this is probably subject for a whole new thread, and of course each horse is an individual - but with youngsters I've had (and some old ones too) boredom can manifest itself in a variety of ways. Sometimes its a change in the horse 'manners' - they can deteriorate, they can run around winding up the rest of the herd, its almost a surplus of energy or they can appear to start dismantling fencing, stables,etc etc. putting them in work can really help to settle them and give them something to do. I think I've said it on here before, but give 'em a job or they'll go self employed......

Seems mine must all be bored!!

Racing around is done twice daily at dawn and dusk EVERY day.

Chewing things is a sign of teething or mineral imbalance.

Horses are creatures of habit. My old coach used to retort when told the horse is bored during schooling "horses don't get bored, riders do!"

BeaconHill

Visit site
I am going to have to agree with the fact that I don't think it is being pushed at all.As for it's development emotionally etc. I believe that it will be in a strong routine and it wont miss what it has never had. Would be awful if it was allowed to play and frolic then snatched out of that environment to be trained hard and to perform without getting the opportunity to play ever again.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
As does the racing industry and all other countries in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern hemisphere the horses official birthdate is 1st August

Crugeran Celt - it is a very sensible way to unify all registrations.

Yes obviously there has to be a cut of date for registration etc but that doesn't change the actual month the horse was born and also it doesn't mean that the horse has to be under saddle before its had its third birthday. Why not start the January after so the horse is rising four. Surely that would make more sense. Regardless of whether you say the date of birth is 1st January or actual date of birth I would prefer not to start a horse so young.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes obviously there has to be a cut of date for registration etc but that doesn't change the actual month the horse was born and also it doesn't mean that the horse has to be under saddle before its had its third birthday. Why not start the January after so the horse is rising four. Surely that would make more sense. Regardless of whether you say the date of birth is 1st January or actual date of birth I would prefer not to start a horse so young.

Despite all the beaurocracy saying otherwise CC, I'm with you on this one.

My filly is technically three this year and some people have put pressure on me to get her started, but she isnt three until June and it just doesn't sit right with me and I'm sticking to my guns and waiting until next year. It's my horse, I'll do what I like and que sera sera... if people want to back a horse at the paper age then, up to them. There's no right or wrong when it comes to your own business.

skyrock

Visit site
I totally agree with you Jsye to be honest for a three year old to be performing like that the morons must have been working it for at least a year so they backed it and worked it at 2 years old. But you have to realise that not everyone cares about their horse, only what they can get out of it. i am not excusing them cos i think they are all money grabbing morons