DIY livery - summer grazing includes no hay ???

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
I can not believe what I am reading here. If the livery has horses that are too fat when out at grass why do they need to be brought in & given haylage?
Furthermore, if a livery then says I want a reduction of charges in summer because you are not supplying haylage, just grass livery. Fine reduce it, but take away the stable. That is what grass livery is.
Simples

Queenbee

Visit site
I can not believe what I am reading here. If the livery has horses that are too fat when out at grass why do they need to be brought in & given haylage?
Furthermore, if a livery then says I want a reduction of charges in summer because you are not supplying haylage, just grass livery. Fine reduce it, but take away the stable. That is what grass livery is.
Simples

Very old thread... But you honestly advocate bringing the horse in and not supplying it with hay?

The reduction is for the exclusion of hay... Not for not wanting a stable.

If op advertises £25 per week for stable, grazing and hay that is what they should provide for that price irrespective of season, if op doesn't want to provide hay to liveries in the summer then why should the livery not expect to pay less?

AngieandBen

Visit site
Very old thread... But you honestly advocate bringing the horse in and not supplying it with hay?

The reduction is for the exclusion of hay... Not for not wanting a stable.

If op advertises £25 per week for stable, grazing and hay that is what they should provide for that price irrespective of season, if op doesn't want to provide hay to liveries in the summer then why should the livery not expect to pay less?

This..............I used to do a package which included ad lib hay, not any more! A lot of liveries soon take the mick.

£25 a week complete DIY, no forage, I'm sure the liveries want to keep hold of their stable, even in summer, mine come in during the day for a few hours.

diamonddogs

Visit site
I pay £20 a week for stable, grazing and wormer when required. Facilities include a school, jumping paddock and we're allowed to ride in one of the massive fields that's used for hay (obviously we can only ride round the edges during the hay season).

Our YO grows his own hay but buys in straw/shavings. Haylage is sold by the net. We each have our own pallet in the barns, we get topped up when required without having to ask, and hay and bedding are added to the bill each month.

This arrangement suits me down to the ground. I never run out of forage or bedding, and don't have to mess the car up making 2-3 trips to buy my own every week.