DIY Mounting block ideas

horselady

Visit site
Hi all,
I was wondering what diy mounting blocks, stools, ladders people use to get on? I can do a bit of basic woodwork and am open to any and all suggestions. She is not hugely tall but I can't do a lot of jumping about.

neddy man

Visit site
10 milk crates upside down 6 as the base 4 as the top so its 2 wide and 2 high then fasten together with tiewraps nice and wide with a nice squareish top to stand on , or timber ones made from old scaffold battons, last for years.

Fiona

Visit site
Hubby built a wooden one for the yard.

Down in the school we have two milk crates on top of one another with a wooden top.

In the truck we've got a two step plastic steps that I bought from rideaway years ago.

Fiona

Regandal

Visit site
We have a huge stone one on the yard, it forms 3 steps in ascending height. My friend's husband made one for the school. 2 logs, one is wider and taller than the other. They are lashed together and have chicken wire stretched over the top. Very handy.

s4sugar

Visit site
Picnic bench. The sort where a table has a bench either side.
They are only about £40 and do double duty.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I had a plastic folding step stool which was fine until I stood on it and it collapsed. My friend had a stool with spaces instead of risers. She got her foot stuck in the space and was hopping about trying to free herself still holding her horse!

At home I have a stack of breeze blocks.

Polos Mum I like your suggestion Thanks

JillA

Visit site
Two tyres, a handful of bolts and a circle of marine ply

mountingblock.jpg

No sharp corners for fidgety horses to come into contact with and it rolls when you want to move it. You can make it higher or lower depending which size tyres you use

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Ah, see, Fiona, mine looks like that except it hasn't got a step to make it more stable, and that's probably where I went wrong a couple of weeks ago.

Thinking I was about 10 years old again, and it being a lovely calm afternoon and my horse was grazing right next to the mounting block, I attempted to launch myself off the block onto my horse. Bareback, headcollar etc.

As I launched the block tipped over backwards and I somehow went with it. I landed on the grass and the block whammed on to my right leg. Ouch. OUCH!

Severe bruising, a busted vein in my leg, doctors, antibiotics, much limping, and lots of rude words have been muttered.

Husband has promised to make me a PROPER mounting block now, or at least make the wobbly one safer.

Gala. Aged 61 and a half and should know better..

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive been using a big yellow tub for years, its a big very solid plastic tub which had a supplement or lick in that my local farmer gave to his sheep. I got 3 of the empty tubs years ago for free and they're still going strong! Really sturdy yet safe to stand on (and nothing for horse to get his leg stuck through) and make brilliant water containers too for the field. Ive used them as jump fillers a few times too. So Id ask your local farmer if he has any lying about!

Corbie

Visit site
Strong Wooden pallets are useful. They can be made into a very attractive looking mounting block. One full pallet as a base, Sections of another pallet are screwed onto first as 'upright sections' and a final piece of pallet tops the uprights. You now have two steps, which are a decent size to climb upon. : )