Do Anatomical bridles really work?

jenni:)

Visit site
Thinking of buying one of the bridles with the shaped nosebands that avoids the facial nerves for my 4yo exracer. He sticks his tongue out which could probably be discouraged with a grackle but I'd rather train him out of it/make the bridle more comfortable for him than add in extra gadgets and tension when he's so young. Have played about with different bits a little (bomber happy tongue is next?) and had his teeth done too but he only does it when something is asked of him so I think it's just an evasion thing that he could learn he doesn't need to do.
I'm liking the premier equine ones (that look like the miklem but I hope will be better quality) but also open to other options that don't cost a fortune! But do they actually work or are they just a clever gimmick? Can anyone point me in the direction of some properly researched scientific evidence?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My horse likes a grackle, but I have recently changed to one that is more anatomical in the sense that it is curved under the cheek bone rather than cutting across is - Jacob seems to like it, feels softer and doesn't rub his face on his leg after work any more, so I think really it's mostly trial and error. Much like with the Micklems, some people noticed a huge change, and some people not at all.

jenni:)

Visit site
My horse likes a grackle, but I have recently changed to one that is more anatomical in the sense that it is curved under the cheek bone rather than cutting across is - Jacob seems to like it, feels softer and doesn't rub his face on his leg after work any more, so I think really it's mostly trial and error. Much like with the Micklems, some people noticed a huge change, and some people not at all.
Ooo thankyou, that is interesting - do you know what make your new grackle is please?

LegOn

Visit site
Thinking of buying one of the bridles with the shaped nosebands that avoids the facial nerves for my 4yo exracer. He sticks his tongue out which could probably be discouraged with a grackle but I'd rather train him out of it/make the bridle more comfortable for him than add in extra gadgets and tension when he's so young. Have played about with different bits a little (bomber happy tongue is next?) and had his teeth done too but he only does it when something is asked of him so I think it's just an evasion thing that he could learn he doesn't need to do.
I'm liking the premier equine ones (that look like the miklem but I hope will be better quality) but also open to other options that don't cost a fortune! But do they actually work or are they just a clever gimmick? Can anyone point me in the direction of some properly researched scientific evidence?

Unfortunately I dont think anyone has invested in independent research which would be the only one worthy of being considered proper and scientific. However I know Fairfax has invested alot into their research like they did with their girths using pressure measuring technology and facial nerve mapping.

Personally, I changed my horse from a grackle bridle into a Colliegate Comfitec bridle which is based on the Fairfax research (read copied!!! :p) but I did find an immediate and lasting difference - he was always very touchy around his head and a bit anxious in his contact & there has been some dramatic improvements in that area. He is softer, and much happier with his ears being touched, I think the way the headpiece is cut gives him more room around his ears & has relaxed everything in that area. His physio always said he had tension in around his poll, even at one point having a bit of rotation which he has suffered from since the new bridle! Just anecdotal I know but I would rate them :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
In your situation I would get a bit fit consultant out as they will recommend a bit and they fit it with the horsemanship saddlery anatomical bridle, they will measure it and recommend which one you should buy, I rang the horsemanship saddlery and the lady recommended I do the same so I am waiting for an appointment, my horse is a mild head shaker when ridden so thought it might help.

Reactions: TPO

AFB

Visit site
My horse was certainly happier for an anatomical headpiece, his traditional bridle fit well but he's quite sensitive around his ears and has been more settled since switching.

As for anatomical nosebands, a lot have a strap below the bit and he hates them - so we've ended up with a nicely padded but traditional noseband.

Nevin's Run

Visit site
When I had the horse bit fit lady out she pointed out how a lot of the cutaway, 'anatomical' headpieces don't actually relieve any pressure - just because it's curved doesn't mean it's sitting in the right place. It's a popular bandwagon so there are many versions and not all are taking the right points into consideration. She was just talking about the pressure behind the ears, but it's probably worth bearing in mind with any 'anatomical' bridle - even if it looks right, is it actually sitting in a way that makes a useful difference.

Wheels

Visit site

why not just take the noseband off to see if it makes any difference?

If the bridle fits, is not too tight around the browband and you have 2 fingers clearance under the noseband then that should be good enough for most horses.

TPO

Visit site
Another advocate for trying him with no noseband. It makes a big difference in some horses and no difference in others.

It's a cheap and easy first step to try before falling down the rabbit hole of noseband, bridles and bits.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I definitely think there is a small subset of horses for which it makes a noticeable difference.

But for most I don’t think it’s a miracle cure and a lot of the time the horse just needs a better fitted traditional bridle and better hands at the end of the reins.
Funny... I dunno.... if only we had anatomical bridles in the 17th century, way more wars could have been won and horses would have been SO much more responsive... right? I've seen so many horses in anatomical bridles doing airs above the ground and doing fantastical things in the countryside. Not. Obviously not.

Seriously just stop overtightening the "non-anatomical" bridle and you wouldn't even need an err.. anatomical in the first place. Bugbear. It just screams all the gear no idea.

Visit site
I don't see the point in them. A correctly fitted bridle should not cause an issue.

As for the tongue thing - a lot of racehorses do it and strapping their mouth shut doesn't make the slightest bit of difference! My lad does it. I have pics of him in America as a 2yo cantering in a grackle with his tongue poked out to the right. I have pics of him 5 years later jump racing in Britain with a grackle on and his tongue poking out the side. I have numerous pics of us in the show ring - inhand and under saddle - with his tongue poking out to the right, always the right. He has done it with grackles, cavesons and no noseband at all. He doesn't waggle it, he doesn't flail it around, he just pokes the tip out the side a bit. He is 17yo and I highly doubt he will change now.

flying_high

Visit site
I think it depends. If your horse isn't how you'd like in the contact, and you've looked at teeth / back / saddle / physio / bit / riding / training etc. It is worth trying different bridles. But I'd always want to try at home, try original bridle, new bridle, back to original bridle and see a different. My horse had a huge positive change in a Quantam bridle. I already had a loose well fitting traditional type bridle. Only changed bridle in test, not bit or reins, or anything else. For my horse huge change in terms of taking contact forward.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think Fairfax did some research on bridles before designing theirs. What I do remember is they did a study on nosebands and Grackles came out top followed by Drops. Cranks were slightly better than traditional cavessons and then flashes at the bottom.

My old tb hated a cavesson noseband, found out by accident when my sharer left it off and rode without and much preferred a loosely done up drop. His tongue used to bulge out the side, I think it was too big for his mouth.

Current tb is in a Micklem but that as much as anything else as he's an odd shape and needed mix and match parts and neither cob or full nosebands were right. I was despairing not wanting to have to go down the made to measure route when I bought a Micklem half price in a sale and the odd design fits his odd head. He's got a big forehead, tiny muzzle and quite a short head.

w1bbler

Visit site
OP, a visit from the equine bitting consultant helped my horse that struck his tongue out regularly. Didn't cure it, but I learnt to live with the occasional reaction to pressure.
Bizarrely I took him barefoot beginning of lockdown & a few days ago the friend I hack with commented she's not seen him stick his tongue out in months. Made me think & realised she is right. Coincidence possibly, but he has also become much more forward & found a massive walk ?
Not saying barefoot is the answer to sticking tongue out ?, just might be worth considering that the issue may not be starting at his head?

Auslander

Visit site
When I had the horse bit fit lady out she pointed out how a lot of the cutaway, 'anatomical' headpieces don't actually relieve any pressure - just because it's curved doesn't mean it's sitting in the right place. It's a popular bandwagon so there are many versions and not all are taking the right points into consideration. She was just talking about the pressure behind the ears, but it's probably worth bearing in mind with any 'anatomical' bridle - even if it looks right, is it actually sitting in a way that makes a useful difference.
My horse actively dislikes anatomical headpieces - he chucks his head around in anatomical/padded headpieces, and is as happy as larry in a traditional headpiece. He also likes a loosely fitted crank noseband more than anything else I've tried him in!

tallyho!

Visit site
I did think to write yet another typical tallyho! being a dick post but I thought I'd just be honest this time and say if you have a problem in the mouth/head.. the problem isn't the bridle. Literally every horse I see with a head (includes all the working parts) problem I can guarantee it's a "something is too tight' problem. It's a bridle problem if everything else like teeth and abscesses and allergies have categorically been ruled out then maybe... you just need to strip it back and work out where the issue is... try from just bit and headpeice with a LOOSE throatlatch and 1 wrinkle at the bit... then add a LOOSE cavesson you know the two finger rule.

But... I can't stop anyone spending money on something fancy aaaaaannnnd the economy does need a gert big boost so, what the heck. Go buy gadgets.

FrostKitten

Visit site
I did think to write yet another typical tallyho! being a dick post but I thought I'd just be honest this time and say if you have a problem in the mouth/head.. the problem isn't the bridle. Literally every horse I see with a head (includes all the working parts) problem I can guarantee it's a "something is too tight' problem. It's a bridle problem if everything else like teeth and abscesses and allergies have categorically been ruled out then maybe... you just need to strip it back and work out where the issue is... try from just bit and headpeice with a LOOSE throatlatch and 1 wrinkle at the bit... then add a LOOSE cavesson you know the two finger rule.

But... I can't stop anyone spending money on something fancy aaaaaannnnd the economy does need a gert big boost so, what the heck. Go buy gadgets.

I'm not sure I'd consider anatomical bridles fancy or expensive, you can pick one up for very similar prices to a standard leather bridle, in all of my research, there were multiple anatomical in the same price range as well-rated grackle/drop nose bridles. Am I missing something?

I'm definitely of the opinion the horse should wear the most comfortable piece for them, and not the rider as some horses do prefer standard cavesson or flash bridles to drop/grackle even if studies show they put more pressure on the horses face.

Can't comment specifically on bridle fit as my mare isn't broken yet!

tallyho!

Visit site
Yes I'd agree they should be wearing the most comfortable bridle but I'd ask why the traditional bridle isn't comfortable first.

ozpoz

Visit site
The micklem bridle is shaped to keep off the sensitive facial nerves. It makes perfect sense to me when I see William Micklem explaining it, on youttube for example.
Design can always be improved upon. A traditional bridle is basically a rectangle, without any contours, to fit a shape that is nothing like a rectangle.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think where SOME anatomical bridles have the edge over a traditional off the peg one, is where they have been improved with more sensible measurements so that common tight spots like the browband are not an issue.
The only off the peg bridle that has ever fitted my horses is an IR bridle that Issi made for Stroud Saddlery before Jeffries bought the design. I complained that most bridles had too-small browbands and she agreed and said she made them bigger specifically because of that.

If you get an anatomical bridle from a "thinking" company like horsemanship saddlery (only come across them via the horse bit fit people) then you should get something that fits your horse well, regardless of design. Obviously one size doesn't fit all ;)

Mine are all in normal bridles FWIW but i tend to buy parts to my spec so they fit correctly.