Do buyers actually believe an honest seller

windand rain

Visit site
Would you go and look at a horse that sounded perfect for you, honestly described and priced or would you suspect the seller was lying and disregard it
Good reason for asking as I was reliably informed that the pony I was selling was too good to be true and I was too honest so putting people off. No worries mods she is no longer for sale as we have decided to do a few HOYS classes with her this year while her young rider is still here.
Said pony was advertised as
13.2, 5 year old pony forward thinking and interested in life a very easy pony to ride, ridden by a competent novice, jumps up to 80cm, does a good dressage test scoring over 60% every time, good to box trailer or lorry, trim, clip and hacks alone and in company along busy roads. up to weight once mature probably about 15 stone

Not a single taker not even a viewing

Last edited:

Pigeon

Visit site
Nothing is selling at the moment!

And I have had a couple of buying experiences that taught me to TRUST NO ONE. You wouldn't believe what otherwise normal and respectable people will say to get rid of their horses...

Moomin1

Visit site
Jeepers creepers - sorry, I have to ask - 13.2hh and 15 stone? :-O

But on the original subject, I would always be wary to a certain extent of any buyer, but I do think generally you can suss out which ones are more genuine than others.

soulfull

Visit site

But on the original subject, I would always be wary to a certain extent of any buyer, but I do think generally you can suss out which ones are more genuine than others.

I thought the same?

But no never completely trust anyone. I've bought enough horses to know you can't trust anyone. Also they may not know everything.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Photographs and video plus a decent verbal description of things that can't be demonstrated visually, like height, awards, medical records, etc.

If you're honest and they still don't believe you, that's their hard luck.

On the bottom line, reputation is everything whether buying or selling.

khalswitz

Visit site
I thought the same?

But no never completely trust anyone. I've bought enough horses to know you can't trust anyone. Also they may not know everything.

My friends 13hh carries 17st doing endurance, 3ft hunter trials, hacking etc... Has done since a 7 year old, now 25...

It's an Icelandic. No problem.

Don't judge until you've seen the pony.

Moomin1

Visit site
My friends 13hh carries 17st doing endurance, 3ft hunter trials, hacking etc... Has done since a 7 year old, now 25...

It's an Icelandic. No problem.

Don't judge until you've seen the pony.

Doesn't necessarily make it right though ;-)

windand rain

Visit site
Highland pony bred to bring dead stags off a hill so to carry a dead weight of over 18 stones so 15 was a very conservative estimate but hey ho I am pleased to have her still and it will maybe even make her worth her breeding costs if she does a decent job of the HOYS qualifiers

Lolo

Visit site
Smokes was exactly as described, and we absolutely trusted his owner to tell the truth about him. He seemed to good to be true, but as of yet is still pretty awesome!

Turtlebay69

Visit site
Some people are disgusting. My friend ended up buying a pony which had been drugged on each occasion she viewed it. They even let her children sit on the mare. She was not rideable when brought and had to be given to a sanctuary in the end - best place for her as she had so many problems. It was not a dealer. I trust no one, go on your gut instincts, and take every precaution. Even the most kind, welfare protesting, sincere looking people can be evil. I found this the hard way and had to go through courts.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Would you trust a second hand car dealer?.................... No?............. so why trust a horse seller? They are the car dealers of the past!

Always listen well to what they say & never 100% believe anything they say unless it can be proved.

tinap

Visit site
I respond to adds that sound perfect but go to view with an extremely open mind. After a phone conversation though I pretty much know what to expect, so much so that I've always bought the 1st ones we've viewed. I won't bother going to view if something crops up in a phone call. I've no idea why you've had no interest unless it's purely the market.

I had our pony for sale last year whos advert also made him sound too good to be true so I made sure I added his only bad point to it as well (nightmare to clip) & I plastered tons of videos of everything on YouTube for viewers to see beforehand - hacking, loading, with farrier, schooling, jumping etc. It worked as the lady that bought him for her 11yr old daughter came & viewed him without the child. The first time the kid sat on him was after vetting, payment & him being delivered to her house!! xx

lme

Visit site
I've not sold a horse or pony since I was a child (I just collect them) but, when we bought our ponies, both seemed too good to be true at the price they were advertised and both have been fantastic. I think it helped that both previous owners were looking for long term homes and I turned up with 4 children ranging from a perfect size for the pony to tiny.

Suec04

Visit site
I'm looking atm and I wouldn't be put off by an ad that sounds too good to be true but I would go with my instincts when viewing and if something doesn't sit right with me then I wont go ahead. prob why I'm still looking 6 months later :D If more sellers were honest then I wouldn't be so terrified at the prospect of buying! :D

blitznbobs

Visit site
Caveat emptor, when buying a horse just as any private deal - it wouldn't stop me going to look but in over 35 years of having horses I've not met a perfect one yet - people have different ideas of perfection so what is perfect to you may not be perfect for me etc... How do you know the seller is 'honest '? So no I don't trust anyone I'm buying second hand goods off who I've never met before .

I am looking ATM and have looked at loads people are obviously much better at questioning over the phone than me - cos I've looked at a few that aren't at all suitable for what I want - tho the owners haven't lied as such they've exaggerated what the horse is capable of - but that's just life isn't it... They probably believe what they are saying

Last edited:

canteron

Visit site
Also they may not know everything.

Lots of it is ignorance, if no one has ever taught you what straightness, good paces, etc are, you don't realise that your horse doesn't have them.

And its like children, people always truly believe their vile rude wild children and perfect and have snow blindness, really can't see their faults!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I'm afraid someone only has to lie to me once and I will then treat every thing they say with suspicion. Up until then I accept what they say but don't necessarily believe it without verification.

A barrister once told me you should never ask a question unless you already know the answer -- a bit extreme perhaps outside of the courtroom but something worth remembering!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think lots of sellers think they are telling the truth .
Some are not .
The only opinion I am interested in really is my own .

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
The seller I bought my horse from was absolutely honest. But then again, I know them ans they are horsey professionals who sell a few horses so not in their interest to sell something not as described. I was told he had an incredible jump, v bold and genuine, loved to work but very very green with little education. Thats him exactly so no complaints here.

Highlands

Visit site
Dry rot as someone who has highlands I would be less suspicious of you as its a small breed, I probably know people you know and would certainly ask my contacts if you were ok. Word would get around otherwise like brushfire! Probably a mix of a wet winter, she's young (has she done picton etc or other qualifiers) so unless a proven HOYS then people may want to wait and see plus transport and travel sep travelling a pony north to south s expensive! Last thing she's 13.2, if 14.2 then maybe...

Flame_

Visit site
For honest horse descriptions, read tracing horses ads, for rose tinted ones read for sale ads.

eg. Looking for my old horse, 15.2 and 1/2hh chestnut ISH. Big scar on OH cannon bone, hates jumping, pulls stupid face with tongue out to the side when bored or hungry.

For Sale 16h chestnut ISH. Great conformation, fabulous dressage potential, stunning looks and super temperament.

I look at it as emphasising the positives, but some sellers stretch the truth so far its no wonder the horses are nothing like as described at a viewing.

cundlegreen

Visit site
As a breeder who sells the odd youngster, I tell the truth about anything that I am asked. I've been told I'm too honest (how does that work?!) but prefer that a buyer knows chapter and verse about the horse. I always have videos of them either at shows, or at home, with confo and movement shown. I don't want to waste anybody's time, as I don't like having mine wasted! I WON'T sell to the wrong person, as I don't want the hassle of endless complaining phone calls. I've had my share of people coming who haven't a clue about horses. Some get quite stroppy if I won't let them try the horse, but its about safety and not messing up a nice youngster IMO. I sold a young event type last year. The lady came with her vet, and said mine was the first horse seen on video that was sound enough to come and view! She bought him on the spot, after vetting, and I am getting updates as to what a star he is, and how pleased she is with him. That gives me great satisfaction, as I like to keep in touch with my ex horse's progress. But then I'm not a dealer....

Angelbones

Visit site
I have never bought a horse who was exactly as described - or rather how I interpreted the description which I think is a key point - I see what I like, then I must selectively hear what I like to hear. For me one of the most important points is personality and on that score they have all be spot on. With regard to selling, the two easiest sales I've had were for the most difficult to sell in that they had issues but were genuinely honest, calm and safe; one was a serious headshaker which was successfully controlled by acupuncture but which was obviously going to be an ongoing expense and could have at any time stopped working, and the other was a very large TB ex racer who hadn't done much and who would more than likely need a wind op in the future which would limit any eventing. Headshaker went for £3750 and the TB £4800. I was as honest as possible to be, access to vets etc, refs, trial periods. Both horses are still with their buyers and very happy all round. I wear my heart on my sleeve, both when buying (pushover) and when selling. The hardest sales have been when there really isn't anything wrong with the horse and people think there must be!

littleshetland

Visit site
If all the obvious boxes have been ticked, then at some point you have to listen to your gut instinct. I bought a horse once that, when delivered to me from the seller, she couldn't stop crying and could hardly bear to part with him - even when I handed her the money....I REALLY knew I'd got a good one then - and he was!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Strange! Sounds just what we're looking for at the moment.

I have seen lots of ponies advertised for just £500 but sound perfect in the description. I admit that does make me suspicious but as mentioned above many people are desperate to downsize their herds at the minute due to the wet Winter weather decimating grazing land.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Dry rot as someone who has highlands I would be less suspicious of you as its a small breed, I probably know people you know and would certainly ask my contacts if you were ok. Word would get around otherwise like brushfire! Probably a mix of a wet winter, she's young (has she done picton etc or other qualifiers) so unless a proven HOYS then people may want to wait and see plus transport and travel sep travelling a pony north to south s expensive! Last thing she's 13.2, if 14.2 then maybe...

Well, I am not sure what this has to do with the thread but there is an old saying that there is nothing worth having that is not worth a little trouble…which is probably why two of the last few ponies I've sold went from the north of Scotland to the south of England and another to Holland. To those who don't know me I should add that I only produce two or three foals a year. In each case the purchasers were prepared to travel and transport.

My primary consideration when selling livestock (which I have been doing for over half a century now) is, can the purchaser give the animal a good experienced home? Will the sale be a good advertisement for my stock? And is it realising the best possible price? (I'm not running a charity!). I'm a breeder so I don't sell safe old "done it all's".

If that 13.2 (now 13.3 and growing) you mention is the one I am thinking about, the seller has already refused the full asking price because the client could not fulfil the first requirement. She accepted the advice without resentment and was grateful for an honest appraisal. My clients are paying for potential and they know it.

When someone tells me they can get better elsewhere and at a cheaper price, I raise my hat to them and wish them the best of luck. I have just penned an email to a friend who went elsewhere and, even though they got a vetting, they've discovered they have purchased a pony with bone spavin. The sellers don't want to know. I wonder how long their reputation will hold up? As you say, it is a small world.

Dumbo

Visit site
Some people are disgusting. My friend ended up buying a pony which had been drugged on each occasion she viewed it. They even let her children sit on the mare. She was not rideable when brought and had to be given to a sanctuary in the end - best place for her as she had so many problems. It was not a dealer. I trust no one, go on your gut instincts, and take every precaution. Even the most kind, welfare protesting, sincere looking people can be evil. I found this the hard way and had to go through courts.

My first pony was drugged too. He was about the 10th pony I viewed - my Mum was so set on finding the perfect pony for me. Anyway, rode this pony in the school, took him down the lane, caught him, tacked him up etc. Viewed him 3 times and everytime he was as quiet as a lamb, just what I needed.

Got him home, first couple of days he was fab. Then one day my sister went to catch him and he lunged at her and bit her breaking the skin on her neck. He was bargy, too forward and we realised we made a mistake. My mum couldn't get on him without him going up!
I don't blame people for being cautious when viewing. It's so easy to lie and cover something up!

Puppy

Visit site

Just what I was thinking. Crikey....

The last three horses that I've bought have all been exactly as described - to the letter - and are very much loved.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I was honest about my boy due to the fact he would not be suited to a novice home without supervision for the first few weeks, or ridden in company till they got used to him.
It is seems that people will come anyway, beginners who should not be buying such a horse, and novices who could manage if they took care in first few weeks.
I think there were only two people who came who could ride and improve him, which says very little for the standard of rider who go to riding schools and colleges.
One woman [BHSAI] was unable to get him to accept the bit, he just hated her "kick in the belly" style. I asked her to circle round me in a 10m circle with light aids and he obliged straight away.
PS I would think that 13.3 and 15 stone would make me think vendor was inexperienced. You can put overweight people on Highlands, but its not a selling point! They only carry stags for a few miles downhill at the walk, not when competing at HOYS!

Last edited:

maree t

Visit site
I have sold a pony that took ages because I was "too honest" . i had one person come and look but she was too slow for them and the next person bought her. i had put loads of stuff on you tube, she had been and ridden her and seen some elements of her testing behaviour. She said she had an experienced friend who would help if she had a problem etc. Pony was described as not for novices etc . She convinced me of a home for life etc. i sold her cheap and away they went . She then phoned me a week later and asked how you get her head up to stop her eating grass while being ridden . I was speechless. i asked if she was getting help and she said her friend had moved away. She didnt want me to have her back but I made a big mistake. She is being very well cared for and loved two years later but I dont think they actually ride her anymore.
I also bought a pony that had been advertised for ages, he was a bit cheap and I was a bit worried. Why had nobody in their pony club snaped him up ? we went to view him and made an offer as he was great, the owners were very plausible so we took a chance . A year later and we are turning offers down. he is perfect games pony and does a bit of everything else. He is spooky and forward going but such a lovely person . My daughter tried out for the england team on him yesterday and we know we got a bargain .