Do dressage judges care if...

Velcrobum

Visit site
I do a lot of writing for dressage judges and usually the judge is busy writing their comments than looking to see what the rider/horse is wearing. 1 judge did put on the bottom of the sheet "check the rule book about stock colour" as the rider had a bright red stock with a Navy jacket. I still wear Tweed at Prelim and Novice level as that is perfectly correct. Yes a numnah is also perfectly correct and if that enhances the horse go for it.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
No, you don't know that. You know that the ones you wrote for didn't say anything. You have absolutely no idea how they were reacting subconsciously, because they didn't either![/QUOTE

Your tone is quite rude, I have no idea why, I am allowed my opinion , My opinion is , from my extensive experience of writing for the same judges , for years , Judges that by now are also friends , that talk to me while judging, that the things THOSE judges MIGHT be affected by are those things I mentioned. As those are the things that they talked to me about. It is all subjective and subconscious. However I can now score and comment quite accurately for each of those judges.
( in my head of course)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Your tone is quite rude, I have no idea why, I am allowed my opinion , My opinion is , from my extensive experience of writing for the same judges , for years , Judges that by now are also friends , that talk to me while judging, that the things THOSE judges MIGHT be affected by are those things I mentioned. As those are the things that they talked to me about. It is all subjective and subconscious. However I can now score and comment quite accurately for each of those judges.

I'm not sure why you are blaming me for responding to what you originally wrote, but I'm sorry you were offended by it. Thank you for your clarification.

Last edited:

Cragrat

Visit site
I don't think that the judge will know that they care, and I don't think this will affect all judges, but subconsciously it will be noticed that you are not in the accepted standard gear, which is definitely a white square and has been for decades.

And once in a while, there will be a judge who subconsciously scores a person in non standard gear lower. When it's very borderline between one mark and the next, they'll give the lower.

Please note that subconsciously means that the judge doesn't know that they are doing it. And if you doubt the power of subconscious messages, look up subliminal advertising, which is banned. Subliminal adverts are ones which are shown for such a short time on the TV that people don't consciously register seeing them. Yet they still make people buy things.

And some dressage judges do notice things. A writer told me her dressage judge had questioned why my friend was riding in a smart cutaway jacket but rubber boots (smart Aigles, not wellies!). and a judge once stopped me before my test and asked why I had not plaited (there is no requirement to plait). Both listed judges.

For those reasons, I would never compete at dressage in anything but the 'uniform' white square.

This is exactly what I was worried about - that subconcious feeling that because I haven't conformed, then maybe that borderline movement is a 6 not a 7 - which can add up over a test :(

But heartnening to hear that many do compete in numnahs, and are still successful. Maybe I will just have to up my game so there are NO borderline marks ! ;)

oldie48

Visit site
g I have heard a judge comment on one occasion that coloured horses look smarter in a not-white square. Owners of grey horses often come to a similar conclusion :p

These things have been talked about in a conversational way IME pre test but not when it comes to scoring .. so unless already told by a specific judge you know you're going to be in front of, I really don't see how you can know either way what is likely to give the best subconsious impression? And therefore going for smart and definitely within the rules is perfectly sensible.
I never used a white saddle pad with my coloured horse, it made him look dirty a discrete dark coloured one looked so much better.

Michen

Visit site
Going slightly off topic here but re “allowed” attire. I was at a BE Event in last year and arrived very late having spent several hours on the M4, alone, with my horse and a blown tyre.

It was a warm but not hot day and I was still pretty flustered, did an appalling dressage and decided to SJ without a jacket (now 100% within the rules at BE- which this was).

I got told off, by a BE80t steward - who was meant to be a trainer there to support low level riders, and made to feel like an idiot. I had to convince her I was within the rules and also told it was not smart (fine- agree- I’m usually in a tweed unless it’s 30 plus but I was in a smart white show shirt with a still plaited smart horse). It actually really upset me and left me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

I wrote, politely, to the venue and received a very condescending reply. I understand that judges etc are often being paid very little, and volunteers are obviously doing it out of the goodness of their heart, but I strongly feel that neither should make a competitor (who is in fact paying full whack to be there) feel small, stupid or scruffy when they are within the rules. Even worse if the one doing the telling off doesn’t know the rules themselves.

Off topic I know, sorry!!

McFluff

Visit site
It is also fair to say that many judges (IME every judge I’ve written for) actually prefer you to present in kit that suits you and your horse. I’ve been complimented for presenting in tweed and a non white square, both of which suit my horse better. I actually don’t own a white square, and I’ve won lots of classes. Good luck OP.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
It totally depends on the judge ...I know of points deducted for no gloves or not displaying numbers on bridle..in unaffiliated comps ...but I’d hope that movements performed would override type of numnah/saddlecloth worn.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It totally depends on the judge ...I know of points deducted for no gloves or not displaying numbers on bridle..in unaffiliated comps ...but I’d hope that movements performed would override type of numnah/saddlecloth worn.
but not wearing gloves and not wearing 2 numbers has a defined penalty in the BD rules, and even most unaff comps run to BD rules so the penalty is correct. That's different to choosing to use a different coloured - permitted - saddlecloth or numnah :)

maisie06

Visit site
...you use a shaped numnah under your saddle instead of a white square? I know they are meant to judge the performance of the horse and rider, not the tack-but they are human!

I've checked the rules - if we go affiliated again, then numnahs are allowed, but would I risk getting off on the wrong hoof, and possibly throwing away a precious mark or two, even if its a subconcious reaction from the judge?

I have fairly short-backed TB's, and in my opinion they look a bit daft in a square - and I simply prefer a neat, shaped numnah - it also gives a smaller sweat patch, and they are easier to clean!

Nope - I used to compete both of my cobs in showing turnout - a shaped numnah that was made to fit the saddle - very discreet and I wore a tweed jacket, never ever a problem and looked really smart.

windand rain

Visit site
Sub conscious can be very powerful though I would expect putting Karl Hester or Charlotte du jardin on a dirty hairy pony would still result in exceptional marks and yes I know they would likely get a good tune out of said pony but the fact they were sitting on it would be a few points in the bag, Just as in showing putting a pro producer on a mediocre hunter will put it up a few places. This is why people complain that amateurs have no chance but to be honest instead of being as good as a producer you simply have to try to be better

Highflinger

Visit site
I did a low level dressage test still wearing my highviz bib that I hacked over in because I simply forgot to take it off & only realised I was still wearing when I was coming down the centre line for halt & salute!!! I wasn't marked down & judge made a jokey comment that I was very easy to see....

Cragrat

Visit site
I did a low level dressage test still wearing my highviz bib that I hacked over in because I simply forgot to take it off & only realised I was still wearing when I was coming down the centre line for halt & salute!!! I wasn't marked down & judge made a jokey comment that I was very easy to see....

I've remembered to remove my hi-viz jacket before- but forgot the horse's legwraps and my hat band - again, luckily unaffiliated, so just got some jokey comments :)