Do fat riders make your blood boil?

Bluecat45J

Visit site
As with any sports as long as your equipment and that includes the horse is correct for the job that you require of it then no, larger built people should enjoy and get stresses at comps like everyone else.
But if the equipment is not matched to the rider then they should re-think.

moocow

Visit site
I think riding schools have a point if they dont have a heavy weight horse to carry an overweight beginner. years ago my OH started riging lessons and he was a good 14 stone plus. they gave him a love little horse but he was only 15 1 and wasn't that heavy. they would alwasy say to my Oh to kick him on, that the horse was just lazy but in fairness to the little horse, i think OH was too heavy for him and the little fella was knackered at the end of an hour lesson.

so i see your point. Possibly not the most tactful wording though
blush.gif

WelshRareBit

Visit site
Agree with everyone that says a horse should always be the right size and capable of carrying the rider be they big small, tall short etc.
I dont think Kerilli is being anything but thought provoking here just incase anyone wants to take offence!

not_with_it

Visit site
When watching at an unaffiliated dressage comp the other week there was a woman there who was obese and the horse clearly wasnt up to carrying her. The horse did 2 tests and was then passed onto another rider who was also overweight to ride another 2 tests. Now IMO that is cruel and my initial reaction was 'poor horse'
There was also a woman who used to be on my yard who was overweight, her pony used to groan and grunt when she got on and when being worked.

I have no problem with people who are 'overweight' riding, so long as the horse can carry them comfortably. What I dont like to see is people who are underhorsed.

Afterall most men weigh more than women and they still ride.

X

xspiralx

No, not unless they are riding inappropriate horses. I also think anyone at the top level of their sport, asking a lot of the horse, should watch their weight - its not fair to ask a thoroughbred type horse to gallop over miles of XC with an overweight rider IMO.

Like I said though, it depends on how well the horse and rider are matched. An overweight person on a good weightcarrier is fine. What makes me angry is when people ride unsuitable horses - there was a woman at an old yard of mine than was very overweight, and she bought a skinny 14hh arab - its back basically caved when she sat on it.

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
to xxkatyxx - " If they're riding a heavyweight cob fine. But the rider in the thread below makes me sick. They should have the ILPH on their doorstep. " - what rider in what thread??? brave actually pointing at someone!

fairhill

Visit site
I would hazard a guess that a lot of the top male showjumpers could be considered overweight and it certainly doesn't stop them from doing a fantastic job, and riding better than most of us can even dream of.

Worried1

Visit site
We don't live in a perfect world and we are not all perfect shapes.

I would love to be about 3 stone lighter! But your suggestion that fat riders shouldn't ride is both ridiculous and hurtful. Anyone who is slightly plumper than they know they should be are self-concious enough without people making ridiculous remarks.

While I have seen some mismatched horse and riders - generally this appears to be the exception rather than the norm.

Most people are very good at self-regulating i.e they won't usually ride something that they feel is too small or too light for them.

I could interpret your post as telling me I should be ashamed of mysel for buying, riding and competing Diva. However I don't - I know that while I may be overweight Diva and I are perfectly suited to each other - FLAB and all!
wink.gif

kerilli

Visit site
MizElz, as i said in my first post, i was talking about people who are a few stone overweight at least... not just 1/2 a stone or more.
i don't have any problem with adults riding ponies... for instance, i doubt anyone has told Karen O'Connor that she shouldn't ride Theodore around a 4 star because she's an adult and he's a pony! if she weighed 16 stone though, they might, i guess! as it is, she's slim, even though she's obviously a lot heavier than a small girl would be, and obviously has perfect balance.

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
I have seen larger people balance themselves well and ride fantastic, and then seen a tiny framed person come in and ruide awfully, jabbing there horse in the mouth and bouncy around like a pratt. it isnt about the weirght of the rider, its about how lightly they ride!!!

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
i'm afraid i agree with you Kerilli, especially when they dont ride well!
i'm no kate moss
grin.gif
but i find it unacceptable to expect a horse to carry very heavy riders especially when being asked to compete, esp. cross country!
shocked.gif

D

Donkeymad

QR

Riding Schools are a different matter. Many of their riders are very novice so ride heavy, and keeping a horse big enough to take these riders is often not possible, they have to keep a range to suit the 'average' rider, so have to, for very good reasons, apply weight restrictions.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
to xxkatyxx - " If they're riding a heavyweight cob fine. But the rider in the thread below makes me sick. They should have the ILPH on their doorstep. " - what rider in what thread??? brave actually pointing at someone!

[/ QUOTE ]

in the 'is this cruel' thread below.

burtondog

www.michellehudson.co.uk
I'm short and fat and love riding but to be fair there have been a number of occassions when I've been watching International Showjumping on the telly and thought that one or two of the top level riders look "less than athletic" to say the least. I just think how these riders might be even better if they spent an hour or two at the gym but no, it doesn't make my blood boil.

bensababy

Visit site
As people have said above - as long as the horse can carry the weight and is not suffering its a pretty silly statement to make!
confused.gif
I might make a bit of a controversial question here,its a bit off topic but what really winds me up these days is why stars like Beth Ditto being celebrated for IMO being obese,when skinny stars get blasted because they are skinny.... really fails to amaze me,as to me its just as unhealthy to be obese than it is to be thin..
confused.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
QR

Riding Schools are a different matter. Many of their riders are very novice so ride heavy, and keeping a horse big enough to take these riders is often not possible, they have to keep a range to suit the 'average' rider, so have to, for very good reasons, apply weight restrictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep our RS has a 14 stone restriction, we do have big horses (such as pickle) but prefer not to use there top weight limit my dad got down to 14 to learn to ride. He is now just under 16 but doesnt ride heavy and pickle can easily take it

MizElz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
MizElz, as i said in my first post, i was talking about people who are a few stone overweight at least... not just 1/2 a stone or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

point taken - so does this make me (at nearly 3 stone overweight) too fat?

wizoz

Visit site
Actually, when I think about it, last night watching the Lucinda Green Clinic on Sky, there was a very large lady riding the most gorgeous coloured cob type and I did feel very sorry for it
crazy.gif
They were learning to jump xc and admittedly it was only small fences but when she got it wrong, I really felt for the poor horse. Lucinda kept saying, "this horse can jump, you're just not making it" as it kept ducking out to the side of a 2ft 6" roll top skinny
blush.gif

And gosh did the horse have a pop on it
shocked.gif
I almost felt it was a waste of a good horse, as she probably wouldn't have the guts to jump it higher than what they did last night, although, I could be wrong
wink.gif

So I guess what i'm saying is, yes she was large........ and i'm bl00dy jealous, cause she has a nice horse to jump and I don't
tongue.gif

X

xspiralx

I am sure everyone who is taking offence needs to take a step back and consider the post. I don't think kerilli is talking about somebody who is a bit overweight, after all, 12/13 stone is only the weight of an average man!

I think her post refers to people who are very overweight riding inappropriate type horses - ones not built to be weight carriers, being asked to do hard work. As far as I know, there's nobody on here who is like that.

kerilli

Visit site
umm, i did not say anywhere that "fat riders shouldn't ride", Worried1. i asked whether other people thought they shouldn't compete.
i was thinking particularly of big heavy event riders, riding xc for at least 5 mins at the lower levels, 11 at the top level, on quality horses. not riders on strongish types, which can well cope with the weight.

Marilyn

Visit site
I am amazed! As long as the horse can carry the weight, i see no problem AT ALL...people riding badly with severe bits when they have no idea what they are doing gets my goat...taht's cruelty, but simply being overweight...absolutely not!

ajb

Visit site
God what a strange question...well having been a fat rider and lost 6 stone a few years ago (and kept it off) I cant say seeing bigger riders bother me other than as Worried 1 says they would probably like to be lighter and I want to say that they would find riding and doing stuff around the horses easier if they were however loosing weight is a mind thing and its bloody hard-dont get me started on that one as I know how hard..having said that if the horse can carry the weight and they ride ok then I dont see its a problem..rather a fat rider with soft hands who rides well than Kate Moss type who looks the part in white jods but jabs her horse in the mouth each stride ....there are worse things for a horse im sure than a few extra lbs....

skewbaldpony

Visit site
No, it doesn't, and being rather overweight myself, what does make my blood boil, is people dripping on about how a Welshie shouldn't have anyone over 7 stone on it. Piffle. Native ponies are little weight carriers, and ridden properly, can carry twice that. And some of them are way too much of a handful for a fairy light child, in attitude terms alone!
Seeing a person who is 'over - weight' as in over the weight that a horse (usually a horse, a TB type, not a pony) can carry, yes, that is poor horsemanship. Having seen a Section B tow off out hunting with a farmer who must have weighed 16 stone, most of it solid muscle, do I think that was cruel? No. the pony was as fit as a flea and a TB would have broken its neck over that country!

SpottedCat

Visit site
All I will say on this is that it is interesting that whilst people openly commented on two different american (I think they were both from the US) eventers on a recent thread, saying they both should lose weight and it was plain wrong and unfair on the horses for them to try and compete at the highest levels whilst being overweight (I'm paraphrasing here obviously!), now everyone thinks it is absolutely fine? How bizzare!
crazy.gif

lexiedhb

Visit site
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING RIGHT??? How dare you.
confused.gif

A heavier rider can be just as effective as a slimmer one, more so in some cases.

How you can even suggest "fat" riders should be banned from competing is UTTERLY ridiculous, as is suggesting that the riders weight is significant in wether they are balanced or not... a slimmer novice could be just as unbalanced.

Yes this is coming from an overweight person (im 16 stone, and a size 18). Yes I ride, yes my 17hh chunky type (not cob) copes with my weight very well..........I really object to anyone saying someone cant do something on the grounds of their weight, height, race etc.......

Like has been said numerous times on here, if you cant say anything nice, perhaps its better to say nothing at all!
mad.gif

bensababy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, when I think about it, last night watching the Lucinda Green Clinic on Sky, there was a very large lady riding the most gorgeous coloured cob type and I did feel very sorry for it
crazy.gif
They were learning to jump xc and admittedly it was only small fences but when she got it wrong, I really felt for the poor horse. Lucinda kept saying, "this horse can jump, you're just not making it" as it kept ducking out to the side of a 2ft 6" roll top skinny
blush.gif

And gosh did the horse have a pop on it
shocked.gif
I almost felt it was a waste of a good horse, as she probably wouldn't have the guts to jump it higher than what they did last night, although, I could be wrong
wink.gif

So I guess what i'm saying is, yes she was large........ and i'm bl00dy jealous, cause she has a nice horse to jump and I don't
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that last night - what a fantastic horse..rider just needed more confidence!

WelshRareBit

Visit site
Again I dont think Kerilli is out to cause offence, taking it personally isnt worth it in my opinion.
Lexie your horse is obviously completely capable of carrying you - therefore you're not even in the bracket Kerilli was talking about anyway!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Not unless they're too heavy for the horse they're riding.
I do think though that if you're at the top of your game (or perhaps that should be 'profession') in a very strenuous and taxing sport like eventing, you would do your best to keep the weight down for the sake of the horse. Having said that, it doesn't seem to have held a couple of American lady riders back.