Do grey horses always look awful when first clipped?!

alexomahony

Visit site
Is it just me, or does anyone else experience issues clipping grey horses?

I just can't seem to avoid lines - my chestnut looks fab after being clipped - shiny, line free and smooth. My grey always comes out looking tram liney and unever. Please tell me it's not just me!

Bernster

Visit site
But it'll grow out in the next few days :)

I wonder if they have coarser hair? Mine seems to really love a good scratch and has quite itchy hair, which I never noticed with other non grey horses.

Visit site
I hate clipping greys! I do think their coats are different from other colours - they stab you more than bays or chestnuts!

I have mever had one come out in lines though!

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Ooh yes mine is like this too!! I think it’s the contrast - if you leave a bit more fur in one area it really shows up against the dark skin! Although that fancy brush brand - Haas I think? - has got different brushes for grey coats because they’re coarser apparently. I thought it was just marketing but maybe it’s true

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I struggle clipping my grey because it's not always easy to tell which bits I've done so I nearly always have to unpack the clippers again because I realise I've missed a patch! I don't find I get too many lines, I used to but now I've got into the habit of giving her a good bath the day before and then when I clip the clippers just slide through lovely.

This was my horse straight after clipping last winter3136802C-C885-4656-8132-1E0E3B1E1045.jpeg

Last edited:

tatty_v

Visit site
Yes, my grey always looks awful and covered in lines and the chestnut looks flawless! Luckily it grows out in about a week 😂

alexomahony

Visit site
Oh this makes me happy! Thank you everyone for responding and settling my mind!I agree I do think it's the contrast of coat and skin colour. Sadly as mine is so nervous of being clipped I have to use trimmers that are basically dog ones- they're super quiet and hardly move so I'm sure they don't help the situation! He looks better already today :) Phew!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Dolly looks like a carpet when she's just been clipped. She looks absolutely horrendous. Her skin is different colours underneath so she is mottled and patchy!

MissTyc

Visit site
I take a step or three back and evaluate from a distance. If it looks OK from there, it will look good within a few days up close. If it looks terrible from a distance, I've really messed up (usually the wrong blades!)

Annagain

Visit site
Archie in particular has quite a coat. It's almost like he has a downy, fluffy undercoat and then a coarse top layer which makes clipping him very tricky. Monty's coat is much softer and easier to clip but I think that's maybe as he's 5/8 TB. He's also very fleabitten so I'm not sure if he's different sort of grey? He seems to have a much more blue tone to his grey than Arch who is more pink. He doesn't get lines - or maybe the very obvious flea bites he shows when he's clipped mean they distract from the lines!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I use a medium blade on my piebald and he does seem to have exceedingly coarse hair, although it looks like silk in the sun! I watched a couple of clipping videos to refresh myself on technique and one thing I picked up was the 'hoover technique', which means going back and forth in a fan-like movement over the clipped area, which evens out any tram lines.

tatty_v

Visit site
This year I’ve sort of cracked it! A2C blades, a pony who has finally stopped being a PiTA about it (!) and going back over my clipped areas at a 90 degree angle. It’s not perfect, but by god it’s a million times better than previous years 😂

Attachments

• E609BED5-6A3B-4636-8672-1AF137AD9841.jpeg
    E609BED5-6A3B-4636-8672-1AF137AD9841.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 15