Do horses understand kisses mean affection?

Nari

Visit site
My Welsh Arab hated any sort of cuddling, let alone kissing. If he couldn't get away he'd stand there with a look of absolute disgust on his face and be grouchy afterwards.

My ID used to love kisses, but not on the nose, no he wanted a proper kiss on the lips. When I first got him as a 2yo things nearly went very wrong between us because I couldn't understand why he kept coming at my face with his mouth slightly open and he was clearly upset and confused when I moved away. A chance conversation with his breeder's daughter made things clear and for the rest of his life he had proper kisses on demand - he'd stand there for ages lips to lips with his eyes nearly shut and a look of bliss on his face.

My current Welsh Cob would probably see it as grounds for calling the RSPCA!

Reacher

Visit site
My first pony when I was a teenager was very bright and quickly learned that if she gave me a kiss she got a treat. I think this started because I would hold a piece of carrot in my mouth for her to take (she was obviously careful as I still have a nose).

Leo Walker

Visit site
My mare loves attention in any form. She just wants to be touched and mithered with all the time. shes at her happiest with someone draped over her. I sometimes feel a bit sorry for her, because whilst I am kind to her and am happy to give out scritches etc I'm not one for dribbling all over them.

Equi

Visit site
I think as said before they understand it is a positive behaviour from the humans they tolerate. But i also think they get a lot of information from it too in that they sniff us and our breath stinks, but its our smell. They can't see us when we are that close to them, but they smell us.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I was going to say I doubt they know what it means, but thinking back, my arab x welsh little mare and her arab gelding boyfriend used to do a sort of 'lippy' thing up and down each others faces. It was a sort of nibbling but no teeth (or tongues!), very very gentle, they'd do it for ages and they'd both get a very dewy look in their eyes. They're both sadly gone now, I wish I'd videoed them doing it, never seen it before or since.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I suppose I have a fairly unusual set up, with a large herd containing several entires. The boys are quite 'kissy' with each other when they play. It's not kissing as such, but mutual mouthing. Sometimes it progresses into the rearing and unbalancing game, but often they just seem to enjoy the sensation of feeling at each other's muzzles for a bit. I don't think it's as alien to them as some posts suggest.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The one I mentioned before licks other horses on the side of the mouth or head, geldings and mares. He also does a lot of mouthing and biting games with my other gelding and yes it sometimes ends up standing on their back legs.

Mule

Visit site
My geldings have a game where they try to nip each other, they spend hours at it. They like to nip each others muzzles but i wouldn't describe it as kissing.

buddylove

Visit site
My little section a is a proper fuss-pot. Loves to rest his head on your shoulder and snuffle your face and hair. If I ignore him he grabs the buckles on my wellies and pulls very gently. He also loves to grab a zip and show you how he can unzip your coat. He is probably the most affectionate and interactive pony I've had. Rather like an overgrown Labrador.

fburton

Visit site
My first pony when I was a teenager was very bright and quickly learned that if she gave me a kiss she got a treat. I think this started because I would hold a piece of carrot in my mouth for her to take (she was obviously careful as I still have a nose).
I did this with a pony stallion I knew for 27 years - carrot, apple and the odd polo mint. It was the only way I fed him treats. It's not something I would recommend to others, but I was never bitten or hurt in any way by doing this as he only used his lips to take the food. It had the advantage that he never fussed about hands or pockets, but knew that my raising a hand to my mouth in a particular way meant he was getting a treat.

Occasionally I would blow a loud raspberry kiss on his muzzle and he would look both surprised and scornful.

Sometimes, when I was sat on the ground or on a tree stump, this pony would also come and rest his chin or his mouth (teeth closed) on the top of my head or in the hollow between my shoulder and neck. He would even fall asleep in this position.

In short, I don't think horses understand kisses at all, but may pick up on the intention behind them.

Visit site
My big ginger horse is a bit cat like - if he wants a fuss he will come and get a fuss, if he doesn't he will just walk away lol! He doesn't like being held onto, he doesn't mind a full face wrap for a minute or so but after that he would rather just rest his muzzle on your head or shoulder and have his eyes stroked from the side. He will stand like this for ages if he wants to. Gray on the other hand is a bloody pest! He is bored not doing any work and has turned nippy. But he has always been a bit colty. I am quite happy to swot him away but others are intimidated by him. He doesn't do hugs - he tries to grab your jacket and tug it off to play with. As I say, he is a complete pest! He would rather have his bum scratched than attempt a hug! At 16yo you would think he would have mellowed a bit ...

The Wee Coloured Job loves a hug! He will happily be fussed over by anyone! Most of my shetlands would actually. My Darty and Welsh D are the same as Jeff - if they want a fuss they come over, if they don't they ignore you.

Mine don't get treats though. A treat really is a twice a year thing! People always worry about giving Jeff anything from the hand as he is 17.2hh and comes in with a glint in his eye and his mouth WIDE open! But as soon as he gets to your hand he takes whatever is in it so delicately with his lips it's quite comical!

Mule

Visit site
The beast got a few nose kisses today. He has grown his winter coat, his head is all fluffy, and he looks cute so I couldn't resist:)

scruffyponies

Visit site
My stallion used to love having his front teeth rubbed. My vet at the time who was from NZ said he knew a racehorse that liked the same thing. A friend's stallion loved having his chin whiskers pulled. Strange animals.

I do think that stallions are inclined to investigate everything with their lips, and find it both soothing and stimulating to have their mouth played with. Colts are inclined to be bitey with it, and I have found that it can be stopped by encouraging them to 'play' with their mouth. I tickle their lips with my fingers, which triggers their grooming lip motion - a game which they all enjoy. One of them likes to do it to my nose (not recommended, obviously!).

Leahhmilliee

New User
Visit site
I think there must be some sort of understanding, if they can pick up that a squeeze or a voice command means forwards as a very basic example, then I don't think we give them enough credit, my horse, is a grumpy git for any affection if he knows he going out for a ride he wants to get on with it or if he's being turned out, but on a winters evening when he comes in, while we wait for the kettle to boil for a warm feed, we have a big cuddle and he absolutely loves it, it's the only time of day when he really relaxs, he'll start to doze off, and then when the kettle clicks, he would look up and be like right thanks mum that was lovely food now, I'd like to think he knew that kisses and cuddles meant I loved him, I'm sure he did, the funny old git that he was! X

Mule

Visit site
I remember the first time we placed in eventing, the beast got so many kisses he looked completely bemused:D Kind of pleased but definitely bemused

F&B

Visit site
my arab x welsh little mare and her arab gelding boyfriend used to do a sort of 'lippy' thing up and down each others faces. It was a sort of nibbling but no teeth (or tongues!), very very gentle,[/QUOTE]

Must be an arab thing, my arab x does this to other horses that he likes & to me, very similar to a human kiss I feel 🙂

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I think as said before they understand it is a positive behaviour from the humans they tolerate. But i also think they get a lot of information from it too in that they sniff us and our breath stinks, but its our smell. They can't see us when we are that close to them, but they smell us.

Just about every horse that I get near to, I put my nose near the horse's, and we exchange breaths. I'm sure that I learnt this as a child from watching Barbara Woodhouse on TV; she explained this as being how horses introduce themselves to one another, so they are reassured when people do this.

I know a few horses who love to grab hold of things with their lips and tug at them; shirt or coat collars and sleeves, hats, anything left hanging on a hook within reach. They'll grab a bridle off the hook and toss it around. Some repeatedly slide open and shut the top bolt of the stable door, and will escape if the bottom latch isn't shut.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'd think if the kiss was always accompanied with nice gushy voices then they would learn that its some sort of affection. To be honest, they probably understand it the same as us patting (hitting!) them on the neck when they've been good.

One of mine loves giving kisses but thats purely because as a teenager I spent a summer clicker training him and giving kisses was one thing he could do for a treat. Funny how he forgot all the other tricks except this one years later... not so funny when he tries to kiss me having just eaten his sloppy feed.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
J constantly touches his nose to my hand if he is unsure (or my foot if I am on him).

Generally I am going to say yes though as it makes me feel loved ;);):D:D:D

little_critter

Visit site
Thinking about this, I would assume they understand the intention is good.
When you were a baby did your parents sit you down and tell you that when they pucker their lips together and press them against you it means they love you? As a child you must have learned for yourself that kisses = love. I wonder do horses learn the same thing.

Bernster

Visit site
Mine is mouthy too, likes to ruffle you with his lips, smell you and generally mess about with your hair and stuff. Have to be careful though as he also liable to grab pony tails and pull zips and things. I'm not very kissy with him but, now that I know him better, and he's less pushy about it, I do let him fuss me a bit. But most of the time he just wants to know what's in my pockets and gets annoyed when I try to clean him !

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
My horse will let me kiss her face and nose but always steps back if you put your arms around her neck. I did wonder if this was some protection thing as she has a bad neck and doesn't want me hanging on to it (not that I would) but I have come to the conclusion that she does it not because she dislikes it, but because she likes to see what is in front of her should she miss my hand going into my pocket for a nut for her.

She is a generally nosy horse anyway and moves around when anything goes past her, sometimes I feel I have to justify the reason she is doing this isn't because she wants to shove her bum in your direction and kick out, more that she is simply moving to a better position so she can view the horse once it has walked past!

I do think as others have said, that horses will pick up on the 'love' when you fuss them and associate this with a gentle voice and kind pat much in the same way horses will mutually groom each other because it has a calming influence and also a social element, where it works really well as an appeasement in the wild.

little_critter

Visit site
My horse will let me kiss her face and nose but always steps back if you put your arms around her neck. I did wonder if this was some protection thing as she has a bad neck and doesn't want me hanging on to it (not that I would) but I have come to the conclusion that she does it not because she dislikes it, but because she likes to see what is in front of her should she miss my hand going into my pocket for a nut for her.

She is a generally nosy horse anyway and moves around when anything goes past her, sometimes I feel I have to justify the reason she is doing this isn't because she wants to shove her bum in your direction and kick out, more that she is simply moving to a better position so she can view the horse once it has walked past!

I do think as others have said, that horses will pick up on the 'love' when you fuss them and associate this with a gentle voice and kind pat much in the same way horses will mutually groom each other because it has a calming influence and also a social element, where it works really well as an appeasement in the wild.
Mine does the same, I can't hug him because he always wants to keep an eye on my hands (for treats) so backs up if I hug him.

pansymouse

Visit site
I don't think most horse like being kissed or hugged, it's just some are more tolerant of it than others. Mine doesn't like it or tolerate it but she does love having her head just under her forelock rubbed - that is pleasurable for her and make her pleased to see me. Overall I don't think horses feel affection as we understand it.

Mucking out - still

Visit site
One of ours definitely loves being kissed and gives kisses (tongue included - yep!!) AND he kisses our other horse. Other horse is hilarious in his efforts to avoid being kissed - defo not his thing :p

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
A good relationship is one in which both party's wishes are respected.
All horses like different things. One of mine sometimes likes to kiss you full on the face, but more often likes head cuddles (your arms around her head).
The other does not have any time for kisses, but likes you to lay your arm over her neck. My old girl liked to put her head on your shoulder and have you cuddle her neck.
You need to find the consensual way of interacting - all you kiss forcers!

maggiestar

Visit site
I don't think most horse like being kissed or hugged, it's just some are more tolerant of it than others. Mine doesn't like it or tolerate it but she does love having her head just under her forelock rubbed - that is pleasurable for her and make her pleased to see me. Overall I don't think horses feel affection as we understand it.

I guess they're all different but I've definitely known very cuddly and affectionate horses. I used to work on a livery yard and there were two geldings in particular who used to give 'hugs' and follow you around and nicker hello. They would lick you and accept silly human kisses back. They were never fed titbits so it wasn't a food thing, they were just very friendly. I think it was affection in their own horsy way.

maggiestar

Visit site
A good relationship is one in which both party's wishes are respected.
All horses like different things. One of mine sometimes likes to kiss you full on the face, but more often likes head cuddles (your arms around her head).
The other does not have any time for kisses, but likes you to lay your arm over her neck. My old girl liked to put her head on your shoulder and have you cuddle her neck.
You need to find the consensual way of interacting - all you kiss forcers!
Definitely agree with that! They're all individuals. There was a mare I worked with who absolutely hated humans and would regularly try to kill me when I mucked her out or tried to tack her up. For my own safety I took to tying her up outside whenever I mucked out, and found that just giving her that bit of space helped a lot. Then one day she lowered her head and put it in my hands while I was chatting to a colleague. They teach us so much.