Do i make the leap?

Hollylee1989

Visit site
My horse isn't in work anymore, and I think it's time to pull the shoes, but I'm terrified! He's currently field sound, has navicular disease, worried it won't work for us. Any tips/advice please

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I always do mine when the ground has a bit of give in it. Before I even think of taking them off, I make sure the horse is on a barefoot diet.

I then take the shoes off when the foot is long, and simply let them be for a month. Then, I would start to shape.

I would also say, don't stress it. If it something you decide was a mistake, you can always nail some shoes back on!

palo1

Visit site
Give it a whirl!! 2 of our horses (thanks to our farrier) step into and out of shoes as needed. The above advice is spot on; decent diet, reasonable footing for a week or two and a nice long foot to start with will help. It is lovely to see feet un-scrunching from their shoes and it can head off issues before they become problems. A good farrier will be an asset in this endeavour!

Leandy

Visit site
Yes, give it a go. Certainly take any back ones off. Personally I would aim to take off the front ones when the ground is relatively soft and likely to stay so for at least two or three months but that depends what your ground is like really. Think how much cheaper it will be!

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Google 'Hoof Rehab navicular' and read up on the current research. Loads of research has shown that navicular can be improved by taking shoes off and following a trimming programme. It may not work for every horse, and you can always go back to shoes if you feel you are not getting anywhere. Good luck!

alibali

Visit site
About 10 years ago, before I became aware of the benefits of barefoot, I took the eggbars off my retired heavyweight 16.2 cob. He had been wearing them for many years due to navicular. I felt as worried as you do about it. He was absolutely fine, field sound immediately. I now know it was probably the best thing I could have done for him!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Google 'Hoof Rehab navicular' and read up on the current research. Loads of research has shown that navicular can be improved by taking shoes off and following a trimming programme. It may not work for every horse, and you can always go back to shoes if you feel you are not getting anywhere. Good luck!

This my horse was diagnosed with navicular about 4 years ago took his front shoes off after researching about it, he had 3 months field rest and was sound and has been fine ever since his 17 now and still in full ridden work.

Hollylee1989

Visit site
Thanks all, shoes are coming off on the 23rd. Anything special diet wise for barefoot? Currently fed topchop zero, boswellia, dengie lesiure vitamins and minerals, salt and magnesium oxide. (Good doer so strip grazed whilst in the field), fed hay.

Regandal

Visit site
Thanks all, shoes are coming off on the 23rd. Anything special diet wise for barefoot? Currently fed topchop zero, boswellia, dengie lesiure vitamins and minerals, salt and magnesium oxide. (Good doer so strip grazed whilst in the field), fed hay.

I would ditch the Dengie v & m and get either a Pro Earth or Forageplus balancer, Equimins also do a good one. Good luck ?