Do terriers wear coats?

paisley

Visit site
Bear with me - just got to get job ? then I could order ??? could I have a bobble hat for me and 4 matching lurcher/greyhound hats and a terrier hat? ??

I can see the family photo for next years Xmas card already! And I should probably get practising! :eek::D

oldie48

Visit site
Ours is a border terrier with a waterproof double coat. He's 11, healthy and very fit. He's never needed a coat. He enjoys a swim in icy water or lies down in frozen flooded fields, so there's no need for him to wear a coat. When he gets old and slows down a bit, if he seems hesitant to venture out in minus temperatures or his condition looks poor, we'd try him with one of the coats we have from a previous oldie.
We are one our third BT and they have all hated the rain. Stanley doesn't really like water or mud and will carefully walk round it, whereas his sister, who lives near, will wallow in both. I do put an equifleece on if the weather is really vile and if Stan doesn't want to wear it, he sits down and refuses to walk!

jumbyjack

Visit site
Parson Russell Laska is hairy, so much so she's like an exploded mattress but when I do manage to get her out she won't go out without her equafleece if it's raining, that's including the garden!

Smitty

Visit site
Mine does if it's cold or raining, he HATES it but shivers without.

He is only 5 but has had back trouble and has physio treatment so I try not to let him get 'scrunched up' with cold.

His idea of heaven is lying in the blazing hot sun, getting as close as he can to the woodburner, sitting right in front of a fan heater or if we are camping, trying to get in my sleeping bag (middle of summer!).

I think he takes after me ... ?

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
His idea of heaven is lying in the blazing hot sun, getting as close as he can to the woodburner, sitting right in front of a fan heater or if we are camping, trying to get in my sleeping bag (middle of summer!).

Same here with my little Pip. She's happiest when she's baking hot. I'm sure it cant be good for her ?
I always worry when she sleeps under the duvet all night !

palo1

Visit site
Do it! If you can get four skinny dogs and a terrierest to sit still for that long :) For some reason I see George in a little yellow sou'wester hat and coat ;)
Then there could be the naked charity calender ...!

I would love to see all of them, but particularly George in a yellow sou'wester hat and coat. Alternatively a tweed flat cap and tweed jacket. Probably with a pipe...:D

{97702}

Visit site
Clearly there will NOT be the naked charity calendar despite Paisley’s suggestion, my dogs are far too shy to do that ???

I’d have to think of a suitable theme for each of them!

L&M

Visit site
My fox terrier (smooth haired) does feel the cold so has a lightweight, fleece lined coat, that is also waterproof for winter walks. He has been know to shiver in the house on very cold days but he decided that a dog jumper was a step too far, so have to put the wood burner on instead!

My whippet goes totally against the grain as is always warm - gutted as was so looking forward to creating a 'wardrobe' for him, but suppose I should be grateful for the money saved...….

paisley

Visit site
Clearly there will NOT be the naked charity calendar despite Paisley’s suggestion, my dogs are far too shy to do that ???

I’d have to think of a suitable theme for each of them!
We could just have a collective 'All about dogs in rather fetching hats' section :D. Probs nicer than 'Lurchers in the nip (with George in the nuddy)
I'll stop now;)

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Yes my JRT wore one whilst pottering in the garden in the winter & also on a walk in his last couple of years ?

Currently in the garden my Collie Springer X brother & sister (now 11) wear Shires Tempest 100g coats if it's under about 8 degrees (or very wet) & an Amigo 50g or fleece under if it's freezing.

Beagle Bassett X is a complete wuss - he has a very fine coat - wears his 100g plus another 100g if it's freezing ? he has a very strong bladder & has been known to go 18 hours when it's cold & wet without needing the bathroom ?

My dogs have nearly as many turnouts as my horse ?

EventingMum

Visit site
As well as coats for the cold, wet weather terriers also need Christmas coats!
hakrQ8Rm.gif