Do we live in a 3rd world country?

FionaM12

Visit site
Well, actually I am going to apologise to HtH for my little rant, it wasn't really called for, the unfortunate choice of wording just touched a nerve.

:D I thought your "rant" was very fair and accurate tbh. The idea that seeing a slightly thin horse for sale = living in the 3rd world is so ridiculous. I didn't think your rant was uncalled for and I particulary enjoyed your observation that they'd be eating the horse if we were! :D:D

LittleWildOne

Visit site
Sorry to lower the tone, but technically, we DO have a draught... and a pain in the bottom it is, too. :D

^^^Not strictly correct ;) There may be a water shortage in some areas, but I'd worry if and when people here in the UK have to start digging for water. A true drought usually involves every stream, river, lake or mudhole being totally bone dry for several months. People having to walk miles every day to find what little moisture is left deep underground.The people, their animals and the wildlife dying because the ground is too dry and hard to get even a cupful of dirty water ;):)

Anyway, OP, I can't see much wrong with the horse (for the price) or the advert.

The horse looks fine to me too, and again, no problems with lightly breaking to harness at his age. :)

Jayde87

Visit site
Who on earth do you think you are to suggest that someone is giving their horse the incorrect care? Yes, the clips a little on the dodgy side, but the horse does not appear unwell or uncared for. He may be a little on the light side but if you read the advert, the lady does say that when she purchased him he was severely underweight - so can you not appreciate the honesty and install a little bit of trust in humanity?

To use the comparison of being a '3rd world country' as a result of the advert is just disgusting. Disrespectful and unfair. You want 3rd world country? Visit Africa. You will soon see that the two of these factors can never be compared.

rhino

Visit site
^^^Not strictly correct There may be a water shortage in some areas, but I'd worry if and when people here in the UK have to start digging for water. A true drought usually involves every stream, river, lake or mudhole being totally bone dry for several months. People having to walk miles every day to find what little moisture is left deep underground.The people, their animals and the wildlife dying because the ground is too dry and hard to get even a cupful of dirty water

Not true, droughts are comparative to the usual rainfall in a particular country. Thus the UK definition for drought differs to less temperate countries but is still a drought.. Martlin was quite correct in saying that technically 'we' (well some parts of the UK) are currently in drought conditions.

A general definiton of drought is when an area experiences at least three weeks with less than one-third of normal precipitation for the time of the year.

In the UK an absolute drought is defined as a period of at least 15 consecutive days on none of which is there more than 0.2 mm of rainfall.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Drought.htm

Last edited:

LittleWildOne

Visit site
Sorrrrrryyyyyyy :eek::)
It's just that since the OP makes reference to a 3rd world country, I don't personally "get" how a water shortage (hosepipe bans but there's still running water in peoples homes) in the Uk can compare to the extreme drought conditions experienced in other parts of the world.
My apologies :eek::)

FionaM12

Visit site
Rhino is quite right- there is water stress apparent in parts of the UK.

Technically, yes we have drought conditions. But we all know what people mean when they say it's nothing like the level of drought in poorer countries. We can't compare our water concerns with those of people who have no safe clean water to drink and whose livestock and crops die in their fields, causing widespread starvation.

With climatic change, we may have that to come in this country one day. But not yet.

millreef

Visit site
Sorry for the lecture but as a geography teacher I feel it is my obligation to enlighten the OP. The term 3rd world country is not very PC these days as it's quite a derogatory and outdated term. First world was USA and European Industrialised countries, Second world was Soviet Union and all the communist states leaving all the others "Third world". With rapid industrialisation in Asia and the fall of the Soviet Union that world just doesn't exist anymore. And for your pleasure, here is one of my little boys who live in a developing nation!
[
picture.php

He's entire because it is unacceptable culturally to castrate a horse

Last edited:

rhino

Visit site
Sorrrrrryyyyyyy :eek::)
It's just that since the OP makes reference to a 3rd world country, I don't personally "get" how a water shortage (hosepipe bans but there's still running water in peoples homes) in the Uk can compare to the extreme drought conditions experienced in other parts of the world.
My apologies :eek::)

Don't worry :) We knew what you meant! Certainly no sign of a drought up here anyway :rolleyes:

LittleWildOne

Visit site
Haha ! True Rhino, very true.
If anyone is getting a bit short of water, we have PLENTY of it up here in Scotland. We're lucky to get maybe 6 dry days all year :D

Puzzles

Visit site
If you had seen horses in a 3rd world country, you wouldn't think twice about labelling this advert as such.

The horse looks as many 2-year-olds do: a little scrawny andyet to grow into himself but otherwise seems perfectly happy and healthy. I think he should definitely be cut though!

moana

Visit site
harrythrhorse - what planet are you living on?:confused:

That is a well looked after young horse, simply in it's 'gangly' teenage years.

We are far far from a Third World Country, please do not insult and deride:(