Do you agree with keeping a horse in permanent isolation?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Another thread has got me thinking. By isolation, I don't mean as a temporary unavoidable situation. Or with a donkey etc. Or even individual turnout with horses in adjacent fields, or on a busy yard with other equines in sight. Although tbh, even any of those I'm not keen on, (excepting donkeys) as a permanent way of life, but accept for some horses, they themselves make it the only option. Ideally though, imo they should have company in with them the majority of the time. But, I think complete isolation except for humans is a form of mental cruelty when done long term. Something I've always believed, & those around me. Do people now consider this ok if it suits them? Do many of you keep horses isolated? Your opinions please!

morrismob

Visit site
No I do think horses need other company pref equine but at least goat or sheep.

You and I wouldn't agree on the way I keep mine at home. Most of them in separate paddocks except for youngster and they are kept in when fields are shot to pieces or weather is crap due to them preferring to be in.

BUT I do keep 5 so not in isolation and they all talk and groom over their fences and if they're in I tie up those that get on for a good old scratch over the door.

Will be interesting to hear from those that are kept alone and how they cope.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, it is probably my number one bugbear regarding the keeping of horses. It breaks my heart when I drive by solitary ponies in fields, out of sight or sound of other equines. I knew a woman who had a lovely small yard with six acres, two stables and a manege. She had had one solitary horse for a number of years and professed to love him dearly. When I asked why she hadn't got a companion, she said, 'oh I know he loves other horses, but I would be worried it would compromise the close relationship we have if I got him a friend'. Grrrr! :mad:

Littlelegs

Visit site
Morris, to clarify I'm not keen on company only over a fence, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I disagree with it, whilst its not my preference I don't have an issue with others doing so in situations like yours.

Enfys

Visit site
I have two that are kept alone, but hardly isolated as they can see others, they just can't touch.

Keeping horses in individual paddocks is one thing, and sometimes is the best for a myriad of reasons, keeping them completely away from other horses is another.

Zeus sometimes has mares or yearlings in with him, depends on the season and what I have available. In the barn he can touch and chat with whatever gelding I put next to him.

The other is a tank of a horse, his paddock is double fenced so that he can't reach anything else, he trashes gates and fences at will, and so far in two years we have never found a companion that he will tolerate, his owner won't even put her other horse out with him! I would actually love to bring a whopping great Belgian on to the place to give him a taste of his own medicine, but knowing this horse he'd have it cowering in a corner or running through fences trying to escape. :mad:

Last edited:

ladyt25

Visit site
No! There is/was a horse near us that has been kept on his own for years, having previously always had a friend with him (they were horses owned by a brother and sister, brother sold his horse). It was just so sad watching him. over the last few years he wasn't even ridden anymore so didn't even get to step outside his field :(

They said they couldn't put him with another horse as he would go ballistic when / if the horse went out without (no sh8t sherlock!). Over the last year though some younger lad has been riding him a bit. They temporarily moved the horse to another small yard with other horses but then horse came back to being on his own. The horse has now gone and I just hope they have moved him permanently somewhere with others. Either that or something's happened and he's been PTS (he will be about 22). Either way, better for him than the life of solitude he's had to endure :(

ellis9905

Visit site
no i dont agree with this, in my opinion they should always be kept with in sight/smell and preferably touch of one another- ideally able to groom and play with one another.

i appreciate some horses for welfare/issues may not be able to turn out with another, but i think they still need to be able to see other equines.

tessybear

Visit site
You Said unless the horse makes it such a way they must be isolated I stated if put in with others she starves herself and stand in one spot. She would also wall up and down by the tape. There are sheep around her and a fat Shetland about 3 minute walk away she whinnies to :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
No I don't agree!

Before we got him, Mac had been on his own for about 6 months, and as a result he'd totally shut down - His funny naughty 12.2 pony personality is now slowly coming back out :D

Archina

Visit site
If the horse has no reason to be on its own then I disagree with it, a horse should always have company.

There are some cases where its unavoidable though. I have a 9yr 16.2hh ISH called Genco who I adopted from rescue. He was a rig when i got him around xmas time last year but had keyhole surgery in the spring. When I first got him I put him out with one of my similar sized geldings as he was supposdly fine with company though I was told by one of his previous fosterers he could be a bit of a bully. He was fine for the first week and then started becoming a lot more aggressive so I then tried with one of my other geldings, same again, fine at the beginning then being quite vicious. So thought I would try something different and put him out with my 17.2hh ID gelding Troy as he was less likely to be pushed around and could possibly put Genco in his place. They seemed to get on really well and started playing but as each day went by their play got a lot more rough with Genco constantly annoying Troy then all hell broke loose. It was obvious Genco was the attacker and Troy was only fighting back, Genco somehow managed to get Troy on the floor while biting the hell out his neck and kneeling on Troys shoulder preventing him getting up. Poor Troy was screaming. :( Luckily Genco slipped off his shoulder which gave Troy the chance to get back on his feet and leg it for the gate being chased all the way. I somehow managed to get the gate open for Troy to gallop out and close it before Genco got there. Que vet to sedate Troy and give him some painkillers for his savaged neck, luckily Genco hadnt broken the skin so no stitches needed. :rolleyes: Safe to say Genco does not go out with other geldings, though since he has been properly gelded he is a lot better and I hope to maybe get him out with a couple of my mares next year as he doesnt react to them much at all anymore. He still trys to kill any gelding that comes near him.

Anyway, the point to my story is that some horses just dont like other horses! lol

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I deduce from that - that if a horse doesn't like other horses, something VERY traumatic has happened to it. And that it is therefore condemned to a very unnatural life. Does that sound right ?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My boy is quite happy to be kept on his own. But to explain: our situation here is that we are in an area where there are LOADS of other horses around though; so not quite being in a situation where a horse is, as someone else has described, in an isolated field totally alone. Here there is a lot of hustle and bustle, people passing, other horses trotting past etc etc.

StormyMoments

Visit site
no i dont agree with it - before we got Rio he was kept in complete isolation for all of his 8 years and was only let out of his stable once a week or when he was being ridden. the last horse he had been in touching distance of was his own mother and other then that the only time he saw other horses was in parades and they are too busy performing to even notice other horses.

he seemed a bit miffed at first about the other horses and then it clicked and he began to get very excited when he was walked down towards the field as the other horses were there :) hes now befriended Taz and although he is in individual turnout with a 12ft gap between the fields due to the mares, hes a lot more settled. the only time he is ever out of sight of other horses as there isnt a stable for him around that side that is suitable for a stallion and the stable next door wont fit taz in and im definatly not putting a mare in there as there is only a 4ft wall and then wooden slats... that is not going to keep him in if hes determined and he has a normal size door not a taller one so he could climb the door too if he wanted! plus one of the mares is an escape artist and he has a corral around him so she cant get near him :)

ponypilotmum

Visit site
I deduce from that - that if a horse doesn't like other horses, something VERY traumatic has happened to it. And that it is therefore condemned to a very unnatural life. Does that sound right ?

I've got one who dislikes other horses. I believe he was taken from his mother too soon and hand raised. He can go out with others but gets depressed and drops weight, and is much happier on his own away from others.

meesha

Visit site
No, they are herd animals. My 2 groom each other all the time - sleep near each other - or one sleeps one stands watch etc.

If someone keeps a horse on its own then the horse cannot display its natural behaviour. To say "my horse is happy on its own" is a classic - how can you know ? just because it isnt dropping weight doesnt make it happy. You have responsibility for your horse and its welfare - if you choose to deny it company you are taking away one of its basic needs... but hey ho ! its your horse to do with what you please !!.... isnt it !

Waterborn

www.waterbornstud.co.uk
No, it is probably my number one bugbear regarding the keeping of horses. It breaks my heart when I drive by solitary ponies in fields, out of sight or sound of other equines. I knew a woman who had a lovely small yard with six acres, two stables and a manege. She had had one solitary horse for a number of years and professed to love him dearly. When I asked why she hadn't got a companion, she said, 'oh I know he loves other horses, but I would be worried it would compromise the close relationship we have if I got him a friend'. Grrrr! :mad:
This

meesha

Visit site
if you have tried your horse with others for a reasonable length of time (introduced gently etc) and he/she doesnt settle then that is different ! There are always going to be unusual cases. But to not try him/her in company !!!! different matter.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Absolutely not. It always saddened me that my best friend at school kept hers totally alone. From the age of 9 to 30+ that poor pony lived a solitary life, the only company she ever had was when we met up for hacks. It must have a serious psychological effect. In her case I think she just became a sort of shell. I imagine mine would go totally nuts.

Archina

Visit site
hahaha said the wrong thing AGAIN ! ;) I'm butting out.

lol of course not! :D There are instances where traumatic incidents can affect a horse to socially interact or attack another horse. I know Genco probably had at least one traumatic experience in his life (he came from Ireland after all :p )I just really doubt it had anything to do with other horses and more to do with him being a rig. :)

FreddiesGal

Visit site
Most of them in separate paddocks except for youngster and they are kept in when fields are shot to pieces or weather is crap due to them preferring to be in.

Just out of interest, how do you know that they prefer being in? My mind always wonders when people say things like " Oh, he just LOVES being ridden in this bit"..

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I personally wouldn't do it, but I know someone that does (although there are horses adjacent for about 4 months of the year during summer) and he's been like this for as long as she has had him (20ish years I think, certainly over 15). He's happy, fat as butter, not stressed and lives the live of riley. He's well rounded, perfect gent at shows and meet-ups with other horses.

While I understand horses are herd animals, I thought in the wild they can and do spend a fair amount of time being solitairy (thinking more of stallions)?

Littlelegs

Visit site
I do understand some horses, for their own benefit, or safety of others can't mix, in which case you need a set up where they can still be close by.
I've actually found the opposite to others, in that our pony didn't become a loner from isolation. Rather she's very social. She was isolated from 3mnths to 1. She's still fear aggressive in some situations, although rare these days, & only with good reason. She went through a major phase of separation anxiety after being introduced to company, but fine now. Except if you leave her last out, when she stresses. I think being adopted by my mare has worked wonders, both for her issues from isolation & being weaned too early. But, while very finely tuned to possible threats, her herd instinct is skewed. She has little concept of respecting a horses space. Or that some horses don't want to play, or make friends with her. And in 4yrs I have yet to see any flight instinct, she is all fight.

morrismob

Visit site
Just out of interest, how do you know that they prefer being in? My mind always wonders when people say things like " Oh, he just LOVES being ridden in this bit"..

Because they stand at the gates and look bloody miserable, I leave them for as long as possible but when they haven't moved for ages I know they want to come in. It's only in the winter and its only 3 of them, the others are quite happy to be out in all weather. Now it might to how they have been conditioned before getting here. I have one who calls as soon as he sees me or the back door opens and yes they do have hay out...... So how do you know when your horse is happy or unhappy with his lot ?