Do you assume 1 year per level?

sychnant

Visit site
Photo from our last competition, just because he's pretty! (I'm not, so please ignore my face, I didn't know the photo was being taken and I'm not sure what I'm doing lol )

We were both soaked at this point and the tests were ridden outdoors, but he really knuckled down and we rode Intro B and C, getting over 70% and first in both classes. SOO proud of him :)

14249945_10157399353190608_4884950465213650315_o_zpskepte6od.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Please correct me if I'm wrong but surely moving up the levels isn't just about doing the movements? Most horses will do the lateral work fairly easily and the medium work too to some extent but it's the quality that matters. I work with someone who likes to ensure the basics are firmly in place and that's made me re-think things a bit. At elementary for eg a BD judge will be looking for a bit more collection, that the horse is more up in the shoulder and showing a rounder outline, that the horse is supple on both reins but at prelim as long as the horse is relaxed, has a good consistent rhythm and is taking the bit forward in a nice shape and the rider performs all the movements accurately, then they will do quite well. So for me, it's less about the actual movements but more about the "way of going" which depends on the development of the correct muscles which depends on correct training and takes time. So for me every horse and rider combination will progress at a different rate.

agree, but the 'movements' definitely have a place in all this - at home, as a test to whether your improved way of going is actually that - i.e. can horse now easily perform 10m circle in trot (test of balance,self carriage, suppleness etc) or can he only trot like that on the track and if you try a circle, it all falls apart.

Also, riding the movements at home help to develop the horse and his way of going. So your circle might not be any good to start with, but by slotting them into your schooling, having to perform them will increase his suppleness, his self carriage and his balance :)

humblepie

Visit site
Didn't used to see the reason for intro but then getting an a racehorse straight off the track unaffiliated intro was great to get him to a few outings when we couldn't canter well enough. He pretty much then missed prelim and went straight to BD open novice. We are now 2 years on and doing novice and elementary. The way that the BD system works, we have not done much competing last year to keep in novice whilst my riding caught up with his winnings (friend had ridden him and got lots of points) and now this year haven't done much other as concentrated on qualifying various champs novice and elementary. Last few times out just done elementary and now moving towards doing the higher elementary tests. Happy to keep improving our novice and elementary work for now.

oldie48

Visit site
Totally agree, we do lots of movements at home that I don't feel we are ready to do in a test. The lateral work is great for improving his paces etc but just cos we can do a half pass in the school at home doesn't mean we are ready to go out and do medium. I need to be able to sit to his trot first!
agree, but the 'movements' definitely have a place in all this - at home, as a test to whether your improved way of going is actually that - i.e. can horse now easily perform 10m circle in trot (test of balance,self carriage, suppleness etc) or can he only trot like that on the track and if you try a circle, it all falls apart.

Also, riding the movements at home help to develop the horse and his way of going. So your circle might not be any good to start with, but by slotting them into your schooling, having to perform them will increase his suppleness, his self carriage and his balance :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Some comments in this thread have totally slapped me back down!
I've got a new horse due to arrive in a few weeks. I've never competed in my life, for various reasons. Old horses, no transport, costs etc etc
Today I saw a competition advertised locally and decided to enter at intro... Now I feel like a idiot.
The horse isn't young, I don't have that as an excuse
At what level is it acceptable to start competing?!
This morning I was so happy and excited at finally being able to start to do a little bit of something, amazing how a few comments can dash a mood!

sychnant

Visit site
I've got a new horse due to arrive in a few weeks. I've never competed in my life, for various reasons. Old horses, no transport, costs etc etc
Today I saw a competition advertised locally and decided to enter at intro... Now I feel like a idiot.
This morning I was so happy and excited at finally being able to start to do a little bit of something, amazing how a few comments can dash a mood!

I felt a bit like that! But you know what, Casp and I are having fun. If it wasn't acceptable to compete at Intro, there wouldn't be any classes available!

Be happy and excited and get out there and do it! Bits of this thread (not all by any means!) have proved to me that what other people think is not always the important thing :)

humblepie

Visit site
Totally just go for it. Don't worry about what others are doing or think as no one knows anyone's back story. As I say mine couldn't canter and neighed his way round his first intro but it was our first step. Have fun and don't worry. Good luck and enjoy

daffy44

Visit site
Totally agree with oldie48, moving up the levels is as much about the way of going as it is about the movements. I would also want to be working at home at least a level above the level I want to be competing at just so it feels nice and easy for both horse and rider.

But, I think ou should start at whatever level you feel comfortable with, we all have different histories and ambitions, so start wherever you want and dont be pressured into doing something you dont feel is right for you. Also every horse progresses at a different rate, some have just read the book and whizz their way up, others take more time, I really dont think its right to assume that any specific rate is right or wrong, there is only whats right /wrong for the individual.

GemG

Visit site

Personally I have never done an intro. BUT I've seen plenty of people doing them and really enjoying it. I think it's a great idea if you need to build confidence/build horses confidence in a competition environment. Or if you don't feel ready to showcase your canter yet in public ! I would say, get a few intros under your belt then see how you feel.

Don't let some rash comments put you off.

Bernster

Visit site
Totally agree with oldie48, moving up the levels is as much about the way of going as it is about the movements. I would also want to be working at home at least a level above the level I want to be competing at just so it feels nice and easy for both horse and rider.

But, I think ou should start at whatever level you feel comfortable with, we all have different histories and ambitions, so start wherever you want and dont be pressured into doing something you dont feel is right for you. Also every horse progresses at a different rate, some have just read the book and whizz their way up, others take more time, I really dont think its right to assume that any specific rate is right or wrong, there is only whats right /wrong for the individual.

Yep, yep. To Poiu/Sychant - go out and compete whenever you like! For me though, I over-analyse and don't want to go out unless I feel that we're more established at that level. Tbh I think I'm probably taking it too slow as we could use the ring/test practice and won't really improve until I knuckle down, practice and get out more. But intro is a great starter class, yes there might be people there at a much higher standard but if you're ok with that, then go out and have fun.

Bear in mind also that C&T is populated by more higher level riders ime so where they are coming from may be a little different.

tatty_v

Visit site
I see nothing wrong with starting at intro - I certainly did with my 15 year old pony who hadn't done much flatwork before and who was hampered by me, who had never competed before! Intro gave us a bit of breathing space to just settle into the competition environment without me worrying about hooning off in canter and exiting the arena stage right! x

eggs

Visit site
Start where you feel comfortable and move up when you feel ready. Don't be scared of long arena tests - I tend to find they ride better (I only have a 20 x 40 arena at home).

With one of my horses she started at Elementary as the busier tests suited her better - trotting endlessly around the arena for a Prelim would have given her too much time to think of mischief! With another horse he only did one Elementary test before going out Medium.

I tend to be working at least one level and playing at two levels above at home compared to what I compete at.

I used to find that when I went up a level my scores would drop a bit after a few tests. I think when I first moved up I tended to go for a clear round and just ride the movements. Then I would try and put more oomph in and would lose a bit and then find the happy balance.