Do you bank your stable beds or not?

Charlie31

Visit site
I saw a vet post on FB recently saying that you shouldn’t use banks in your bedding as actually the horse is more likely to get cast if you do than if you don’t. The way they explained it made sense to me and I liked the logic.

I’ve always banked my beds but am now considering stopping. I don’t have anti-cast strips on the walls though and I’m not sure the YO would like me putting them up.

So I just wondered what other people did and why. My stable is fully matted on the floor by the way.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Nope
Haven't done since I stopped using straw as a child. I do store clean bedding at one side of the bed but not actual banks. I don't think you can make big enough banks to actually work with anything other than straw and tbh most stables are too small to accommodate them anyway.

Denbob

Visit site
I have very small banks that are more like bedding stores so I can pull them down once I've taken the wet out and don't have to faff with half bags of bedding.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I’ve read said post but don’t intend to get rid of my banks as they do seem to mean that they keep F further away from the wall when he’s rolling which means he isn’t very difficult for one person to roll him back over when he gets stuck. Which has never been for long as it’s usually as soon as he comes in 🙄. I do wonder if there is an art to getting the anti cast strips the right height?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've had one cast with and without banks (same horse). I'm not sure how much difference they make. He just used to get enthusiastic rolling and try to go all the way over when there wasn't room. Nugget. He knew the drill though and would lie there looking pathetic, waiting for assistance ("hooomin, hooomin! Could you assist plz, I appear to be in a bit of a pickle?" ) while I ran around grabbing my hard hat, gloves and lunge lines. And getting him up was ok cos he didn't panic, just let you drag him out until he could get his legs clear. Oh the joys. At least he only weighed about 450kg wet through.

But yes. Tried banks, tried without. No difference. Needed and anti-numpty injection or something.

Fiona

Visit site
I still do banks in my shavings beds, even for the big mare who has never in living memory laid down in her stable.

Mad aren't I.

At least they act as bedding stores, and my connie likes to use his as a pillow when he has a snooze ;)

Fiona

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Nope
Haven't done since I stopped using straw as a child. I do store clean bedding at one side of the bed but not actual banks. I don't think you can make big enough banks to actually work with anything other than straw and tbh most stables are too small to accommodate them anyway.

Exactly what I do.

The last time I did banks was when training for BHS eons ago in 1980

SEL

Visit site
I have a stash of clean easibed in one corner of M's stable that is more of a hill than a bank, but I've never bothered with them.

Horses seem to get cast whether they're there or not. Plus my old horse used to pull clean banks into his bed and make a nest to sleep in - always distressing for the OCD yard manager

gina2201

Visit site
Nope. I don't bother.

I read a similar article ages ago that to be of any use the banks would have to so dense and thick to do any good - people tend to just 'fluff up' the edges which wouldn't stand a chance against a horses foot anyway so are pointless.

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
I still do banks in my shavings beds, even for the big mare who has never in living memory laid down in her stable.

Mad aren't I.

At least they act as bedding stores, and my connie likes to use his as a pillow when he has a snooze ;)

Fiona

Same I do banks in my stable, they are there so when I need more bedding after taking wet out its right there rather then having to always go get a bale. Plus my horse loves to rest his head on them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have always done banks with shavings beds so my horses have had a pillow to lay their head on...never did them to stop them being cast...however i took my old mare to a different yard who had rubber mats and they said they didnt want banks.....she got cast !!!!!! the only time in the 15 years i had owned her....so i put banks in again as i preferred them anyway....

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I used to years ago, haven’t bothered for years as I didn’t find it mad a difference, plus all my old gelding used to do was stand on the banks so not having them just mad mucking our easier.

pinkypug1

Visit site
I don’t really bank to avoid casting as my horse doesnt roll in her bed I do it as it makes the shavings bed look cozy and it’s something I’ve always done. Plus it’s a good way to store dry bedding. There seems
To be a trend now for very thin beds without banks whereas I’m
All for thick beds with substantial banks

chaps89

Visit site
I have the tiniest tiddly 'bank' at the back of Madams stable. It does nothing other than make the bed look a bit nicer to me. Getting rid of it just feels weird though. I've no idea why!

scats

Visit site
Yes, although currently only the back wall in each stable is banked. It encourages mine to lie away from the wall. I do also use the bank as a bedding store so it shrinks and grows day by day. They also make mucking out easier coz I throw the shavings at the bank and the poo rolls off, as ester said.
I’ve banked beds since I was a kid, can’t seem to bring myself not to.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Yes, great big solid shavings banks you can stand on and quite high.

Not to prevent him getting cast but to protect his head and legs if he did get cast and started thrashing. I like the idea of a bar and I'm sure the YM wouldn't mind, but I have no idea what height it would be most effective at.

I've read the reports and I know Leahurst don't bank and it's not standard in Germany to bank. And yet, I'd rather keep the banks. I have made them thinner but I can't seem to give them up.

I think I'm addicted to banks. Is there a support group?

Starzaan

Visit site
Always have and always will.

Though if I remember correctly the article said banks need to be 3ft to stop a horse getting cast, and mine are always higher than 3ft in straw, shavings or paper. I refuse to use wood pellets - can’t build big enough banks! 😂

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
So glad it’s not just me who does this. 😂

It doesn't really work on straw which is all we had at the RS I grew up on, I was shown the technique by the groom when on work experience at our equine vets and it's great for getting all the little biscuits out :D. Though as I have a very tidy beast usually only a weekend full muck out day job.

eggs

Visit site
Haven't used bank for years but I do have larger than average - 12' wide, 18' deep - brick stables. One of mine used to get cast as a young horse but he was happy to just lie there and wait for some-one to come and roll him back over. Now that he is older - and hopefully wiser - he hasn't cast himself in years.