Do you catch your horse using titbits?

Limbo1

Visit site
Try no to as makes the pony nippy but my mare can be a pain to catch so sometimes have to resort to it.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Have never done this (partly because would never have thought of, partly because herd turn out) but have always treated as I wish at other times.

Have (once) used a rattly bucket to help catch a loose horse with access to a road. But would have tried pretty much anything on those circs!

Britestar

Visit site
I have no choice because he's impossible without. Lucky he's not at all nippy. I use them like a carrot on a stick lure to catch and make him walk in.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I usually give them a treat once the headcollars are on. They now come running up as they know being caught = treats, but they were easy to catch before that. I just like to reward them for being good and not making me chase them for 2 hours! I have had a couple who were a nightmare to catch ;)

rachk89

Visit site
God no. He's bad enough about food, I don't encourage that attitude. Not that he requires any encouragement.

Visit site
Okay so....OP here.

I'll phrase it differently
Does using treats to catch make you a bad owner/rider? What do you think?

Thanks x

skint1

Visit site
Mine usually walks over to me, I do usually have a treat for him but if I don't he doesn't get humpy about it. He's not nippy or bargey either, I'm lucky

claret09

Visit site
my boy has lots of treats and he isn't in the slightest bit nippy. he always has a treat when I turn him out - it encourages him not to gallop off like a Lune, he has treats when I catch him - why not he is a good boy - I can catch him even if he has only been out for 10 mins if necessary - I always think about what's in it for them to come to you. he has a treat when I tack him up and when he has finished. he gets fed in the morning so he has a treat when I get there because I always used to feed him and now I don't. without fail he has treats when I leave - generally carrots and at least a packet of mints. he also gets them at random times during the day just because and no I have never had a single problem doing this. he is very spoilt but so what.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Okay so....OP here.

Thanks x

I don't see how one's method of catching a horse relates to one's riding ability!

In terms of whether you are training your horse into bad behaviour, that depends on the horse. If you have a bargy, nippy horse then giving it treats probably isn't the best method of catching. I always treat my horses, but not out of the hand if they start becoming demanding or nippy.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Always catch my oldie with titbits. He comes anyway but he gets spoilt rotten. Takes them ever so politely, never been nippy or mouthy and he's been getting them for 25 years.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My grey, for some reason, known only unto her, likes to test me about once every six months. Normally she runs over to me, but if she's having a contrary day, she'll give me a 'horse catching challenge'. She actually gives up pretty easily but if I *need* her in promptly, eg the vet is coming, I take a treat. She's so greedy that she cannot resist.

I don't think that makes me a bad owner, I like to think that I've outfoxed her, but I'm sure that she'll think of a new trick to scupper me one day. ;)

Fiona

Visit site
Hubby's grey mare had home a bit feral since turned out 24/7 so at the moment we are using polo's to catch her. Son's pony in a different field doesn't get treats as he starts to nip...

Fiona

rachk89

Visit site
Okay so....OP here.

Thanks x

I wouldn't say it make you a bad owner at all. Some horses are more difficult to catch than others. I spent 5-10 min following a horse around a field once with a bag of turnip to catch it.

Mine is shockingly easy it's one of his few good points. He will generally come over when called too, but he is always thinking of his stomach. He doesn't bite though, he is gentle but he is so greedy. My mum likes to give him treats though for any little thing, which I do tell her no. I think he only comes over because he knows the end result of being caught will be he gets fed at some point.

spugs

Visit site
One of mine doesn't have treats to catch as she's always really good but I have used them when teaching her to stand at the mounting block. My other pony is an absolute sod to catch and without food I have no chance!

Sparemare

Visit site
Mine are always desperate to come in. All the horses here hang around the gates in the hope that someone will take pity on them and bring them up to the yard for a feed. They would call to the dog if they thought he could put a head collar on them. So no. Don't treat them as no need.

JJS

Visit site
All of mine are perfectly good to catch and generally come to call, but all except my cushings pony still get a carrot or slice of bread each day in the field. None of them are rude, nippy, or bargey, and it makes me happy to treat them, so why not?