Do you catch your horse using titbits?

Boulty

Visit site
I mostly don't "need" them to catch the current pony (he has the occasional "moment" if they've all been charging about like loonies, esp if it's someone other than me catching him) but previous one could be an arse to catch at times so I'm all for a little bribery and corruption! He knows that he only gets the one and I tend to keep it in my hand rather than a pocket so he doesn't go sniffing around for more. He also gets treats for loading as he can sometimes decide that he's really rather not leave home today and I like to keep him sweet. Other than that he gets the odd leftover bit of apple / carrots that are about to go off.

yhanni

Visit site
I give my boy a treat when he's got his headcollar on, when I've got on him, when I get off him/finish lunging him and when he's turned out and got his headcollar off. He knows when he's getting one so doesn't hassle me in between.

Archangel

Visit site
According to my YO mine hear my car at the top of the lane. They are usually waiting for me anyway but if I arrive at any other time they come galloping over. I think they see me as 'the help'.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I don't need to catch one - he comes to me and follows willingly even without a halter. However, I sometimes do treat him with a carrot, just because I like him.

eggs

Visit site
I don't give treats when catching in or turning out but I do at other times eg. after ridden work. None of them are nippy.

southerncomfort

Visit site
My daughter's pony was a monster to catch when we first bought her. I didn't catch and then treat but for a couple of weeks I would randomly give her a treat in the field and then walk away.

Mostly she is fine to catch now so I don't need to give her treats, however if she is feeling a bit 'awkward' I bring out a bucket with a few nuts in.

If I do ever give a treat i usually throw it on the ground for them rather than hand feed.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes and no, depends what I have in my pocket at the time and if I think one of them will need bribing! My two get a bit pushy if they are treated often so I tend to avoid it!

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
For catching in my horses will get one treat each once they've come over to the gate, stood quietly and allowed me to put headcollars on. When turning out they get a treat if they stand quietly and wait will I take headcollar off. They both know once they've had a treat that's it.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I love the way some of the answers imply your horse doesn't love you if it doesn't come galloping to the gate, even though you don't have a titbit for it :)

I've always used a bribe to catch difficult horses, never used to bother with the easy ones, but my horses are currently in a huge field with an enormous hill in the middle, which they are usually on top of, so waving a carrot or rattling a few nuts in a bucket is a great way of getting them to come to me and saving my legs. It also means I can see them move, if I'm just checking and not bringing in.

They'll occasionally come to call if they want to be brought in, but I'm fairly sure it's not because they lurve me and crave my company :)

Annagain

Visit site
Mine don't need them and don't get them all the time. They get them about 80% of the time. I give them a shout from the gate and A is there in seconds 95% of the time. M takes a bit longer but the thought of his brother getting all the treats and him missing out usually drags him up eventually. The only time they don't come is if it's particularly hot and they're hiding under the trees.

Neither is pushy or nippy about treats as they only ever get them when they're caught, after a ride when they're untacked or when they go back to the field (and even then not every time). I had to start this when I first got A as he was a bit lacking in manners and I used them to train him to stand still to have his headcollar taken off rather than trying to leg it as soon as he got to the field. He now stands at the gate until I'm out of sight!

AandK

Visit site
He doesn't need titbits to be caught but he gets them anyway.

This for my gelding, he gets treats once caught and does not get nippy (he's easy to catch but does not come to call!). Same for my mare, she can sometimes be tricky to catch but never nippy (she will come to call every time but sometimes naffs off again once she sees the headcollar!).

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
In the summer the only way I can catch the elephant is either take every single horse in the feilds around him away or bucket of nuts. In the winter he is screaming at the gate to be brought in at 2pm

9tails

Visit site
This for my gelding, he gets treats once caught and does not get nippy (he's easy to catch but does not come to call!).

Same, she also gets a treat when being turned out and waits quietly while I open and close the gate. She has beautiful ground manners.

Lucyad

Visit site
I have never actually considered NOT giving a treat when catching! They are never nippy, but always get something as a reward for catching.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I don't hand feed either of mine, my cob because he gets rude (spoilt by previous owner) and the pony because he is my daughters and NOT nippy and I really want it to stay that way.

I do feed them routinely in the field in winter though, and when I do my cob has his headcollar on so I can hold him and he can't nick the ponies feed, so I guess that's similar from his point of view. He's always been very easy to catch, but since I've been feeding in the field he'll now come to call.

I always give a treat when turning out if I think they might charge off (e.g. if been in for a while), usually NAF minty treats. I don't hand feed it, I ask them to step back and then drop it on the floor in front of them. I knew someone badly injured after a horse shot off on turnout and kicked out (purely excitement not malicious) so I prefer to get out of the way whilst they are eating.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Mine come to their names.

I'm sure it's because they love me and I'm the bestest horse keeper ever !!

Nope because they know at some point there will be food. I know my place.

FDLady

Visit site
Yes.. and no. My mare is her typical grumpy self and insists everything is on her time. She is the easiest thing to catch (not once since owning her has she walked away from me or refused) but she likes to watch you approach the gate... then watch you stumble across the muddy pit around the gate... manoeuvre across the paddock... watch you slip onto your backside if its wet... you can approach and tap her on the nose and she'll follow you back without a headcollar like a tag game but she doesnt do "coming over to greet" unless she wants in for food or its wet and miserable.... if she sees a carrot though she's like a magnet haha old girl can shift across that grass in seconds to get her treat. Slow and stiff with arthritis? Pfttt

.... so.... does using a treat make me a bad owner? No... just means im dry and sane by the time i get to work if im in a rush in winter.... in summer i just tell myself the exercise is worth it.

Pippity

Visit site
Mine's an absolute arse about being caught, even though he's usually just coming in for his dinner, so sometimes a treat's the only way to get near him. He hasn't turned down a Stud Muffin yet, although the appeal of apples waxes and wanes.

You can see him weighing it up in his head - "Do I want an apple enough to be caught? Hmm. Oh, go on then."

DappleDown

Visit site
Sometimes - if necessary. It depends on the horse and the situation. Being mobbed for treats is dangerous so I think it needs to be avoided if possible.

That said, our new youngster appears to have had an uncertain start and needed coaxing that I was ok and not trying to harm her when attempting to catch her, so over time a treat in hand changed her mood from aggressive, to cautious, to 'ok you aren't soooo bad....' Now no treat needed.

Sheep

Visit site
One can be an absolute knob to catch, it makes life easier for both of us if I bring her a treat ;) the other is generally very good, but he always gets something too, just because! Neither are gobby or nippy at all, so it's pretty harmless.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
No I call them and they come in but that's only because they know if I call them it's usually for their food and in the summer they love coming in out if the sun so come to the call even though they are not fed in the summer. I ride very rarely so the chance of having to come in to be ridden probably doesn't enter their heads.