Do you go to shows alone?

alainax

Visit site
Would really like some tips and info on your experiences :)

I am planning on going to a few shows this year and was wondering how possible it is to do alone?

In the past my dad pulled the horse trailer, so there was always him, some of the family, the bf etc at the show. Or if I have been showing horses for friends, then the horses owners were there, some other friends competing in the same show etc...

So what happens if you go alone? What if your horse cant be 100% trusted to stand tied up - how do you go to the toilet, register for a class etc?

Id love for someone to go with me, but I really hate being a burden to people :eek: My dad would have to take a day of work, I could ask some of my friends but feels a bit cheeky :eek: Them wasting a saturday to stand around all day for me...

I looked at hiring a show groom too, how feasible is this? Is it silly when all I want is someone to keep an eye on him for 5 mins or so here and there :eek:

:confused:

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions :)

wench

Visit site
So what happens if you go alone? What if your horse cant be 100% trusted to stand tied up - how do you go to the toilet, register for a class etc?

Leave horse in box whilst go and get number etc, and perhaps go to toilet. Get horse out of box then tie up/let it graze etc. Never, ever leave a horse tied up next to a box on it's own, it's incredibly dangerous.

Make sure you have a drink handy in your transport so you can grab it.

Moody-Mare

Visit site
surely there will be someone you know there? If not, GET CHATTING! or move closer to me :D

I've always had the Bf there to help- He drives my box! I'd leave your horse in the box- far safer.. Seen too many horses get tangled up and panic and the owners no where to be seen! Give yourself plenty of time so you dont need to rush! wouldnt be the first time ive had to piddle in the box:rolleyes:

gingerdog

New User
Visit site
I'm quite lucky as my horse is a bit of a dope on a rope so would probably stand quite happily tied to the box. However, although his is good I personally never tie to the box as worry about other people's stupidity and have seen plenty of times when near misses have happened due to horses tied and left.

I tend to leave him on the box while I enter my classes, nip to the toilet, etc. Then come back and get my self and then him ready.

Usually I tend to do one class after another so generally stay on-board until after I've finished then untack and put him back on the box, then get a drink and sandwich and things, then go home.

To be honest, I tend to cope fine on my own I think its mainly about being polite and sometimes a bit cheeky ( I once had to ask a randomer's non-horsey dad to hold my horse while I re-walked the xc at a one day event as they had changed the course while I was warming up :eek: )

A definite is always tell someone (entries sec as you book in maybe ) that you are on your own and what colour your horsebox/trailer is and then leave a slip of paper in your windscreen with your name and emergency contact numbers etc just in case!

alainax

Visit site
Leave horse in box whilst go and get number etc, and perhaps go to toilet. Get horse out of box then tie up/let it graze etc. Never, ever leave a horse tied up next to a box on it's own, it's incredibly dangerous.

Make sure you have a drink handy in your transport so you can grab it.

Having a drink in the car is a good idea, never thought of that :) Maybe a packed lunch too *adds to list*

Its a trailer I have, i wonder if he will get anxious about being stuck in it, wont know till I try though. He a bit excitable, and it will all be new to him.

Yes I knew that it wouldn't be possible to tie him to the trailer and leaving, im sure he wouldn't be there when i got back or would have got himself into some sort of trouble :eek:

surely there will be someone you know there? If not, GET CHATTING! or move closer to me :D

:D

So the plan is to grab a random show person, say " hi - can you watch that big white fluffy one for 2 mins? Ill be right back :D"
Could work :p

The first show is a small local one, I so hope I can find someone I know :eek:
I've always had the Bf there to help- He drives my box! I'd leave your horse in the box- far safer.. Seen too many horses get tangled up and panic and the owners no where to be seen! Give yourself plenty of time so you dont need to rush! wouldnt be the first time ive had to piddle in the box:rolleyes:
Ok so I need to get him practising to standing nicely and calmly in the box then - sounds like a plan :)

Lmao @ the piddling in the box! It never even crossed my mind :p but I guess if they horses piddle in there... :eek::D maybe I need a shewee and plastic bottle :eek::p

alainax

Visit site
I'm quite lucky as my horse is a bit of a dope on a rope so would probably stand quite happily tied to the box. However, although his is good I personally never tie to the box as worry about other people's stupidity and have seen plenty of times when near misses have happened due to horses tied and left.

I tend to leave him on the box while I enter my classes, nip to the toilet, etc. Then come back and get my self and then him ready.

Usually I tend to do one class after another so generally stay on-board until after I've finished then untack and put him back on the box, then get a drink and sandwich and things, then go home.

To be honest, I tend to cope fine on my own I think its mainly about being polite and sometimes a bit cheeky ( I once had to ask a randomer's non-horsey dad to hold my horse while I re-walked the xc at a one day event as they had changed the course while I was warming up :eek: )

A definite is always tell someone (entries sec as you book in maybe ) that you are on your own and what colour your horsebox/trailer is and then leave a slip of paper in your windscreen with your name and emergency contact numbers etc just in case!

Some really great advice there thanks, the part about the note is clever too :)

Lol @ asking someones non horsey dad! thats something I'd be liable to do :eek:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
..... then leave a slip of paper in your windscreen with your name and emergency contact numbers etc just in case!

This ^ is something I always do even when boxing out to ride with friends. They all do the same too now, one even laminated her sheet of A5 - has 3 contact numbers for family & 1 for vet on it :)
You never know when a mobile might get too wet to make a call etc...or your mates horse bogs off.....

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I often go alone and love it. don't get me wrong its nice to have company but sometimes I'm easily distracted so going alone helps stop that.

I have an event checklist to pack everything the night before to make sure i have everything I need - this reduces stress as I know its all packed.

In the morning I get up, bath, plait and load up. Grab the dog on the way out and a travel mug of tea :D

I never leave my horse tied to the lorry unattended, I will always put him back on before going to get my number etc. generally a horse can't do much to themselves if properly tied in the lorry/trailer they can just make a commotion - and if that happens you'll have plenty of people offering a hand as horsey people can't help it :D

If you arrive at a show and are worried about leaving the horse on its own, put your mobile number somewhere obvious, and ask the people in the neighbouring trailer to keep an eye and call if any probs. It generally works well and most people are happy to do this.

You'll be fine, I just make sure I arrive early enough and get everything out in piles ready to use (eventing so all the dressage gear, then SJ gear, then XC gear) so I'm organised and prepared.

I like this :http://www.ruralsafetysigns.co.uk/featured.shtml but mine fell apart so I'm now laminating one instead!
Good luck :)

Andiamo

Visit site
I've gone on my own, trailer & 4x4. Mine is a nutnut, and will kick the trailer down if left alone for 5 seconds, most definitely could not be left tied up.
I always ask the person parked next to me - "would you mind watching him for 5 minutes while I nip to the loo" - people can be really lovely :)

On other occasions, I've spotted another "lone" competitor, and gone up to introduce myself in a friendly way...and have asked "are you here on your own?" - usually they are. Then I've suggested that we help each other out - and I'll say - "if you need to go to the loo or register or anything like that, please let me know, and I will watch your horse for you"...they always offer the same in return, and it usually comes as a big relief to them! It also gives you someone to chat to, talk things over with, you might even make a new friend! then you can find out which other shows they're going to, and you can see if you have any upcoming shows / classes in common, and then organise to meet.

It's not as scary as you think, you'll be fine :) I've only gone to shows on my own, I've never had a support team :p - although it would be nice :D

On another occasion, I was walking in to arena to do my second test, and I went completely blank - could not remember the test for the love of G*d. It was too late to pull it out of my pocket and have a look, the bell was about to go...there was a girl on a horse exiting the arena, with her Mum on foot beside her...as I passed them, I said, "oh my goodness, I've gone completely blank and cannot remember the test, maybe I should withdraw?" - the Mum was so kind - she offered to read the test for me!! She stayed back, and stayed with me and called it for me - what a lifesaver!!! She disappeared straight after so I didn't get a chance to find out her name, or thank her profusely...but anyway, it was wonderful of her to help.

You can also contact the venue a couple days before the event, tell them you are coming on your own, and ask if someone could call a test for you, if you need it.

Lastly, I've also looked into getting a hired groom to come with me, but haven't done it yet. Maybe you could advertise locally and put a price/hr in the ad?

Good luck :)

Andiamo

Visit site
haha, just saw Moody-Mare's post - someone also suggested to me at a show (another a lone competitor) - to keep an extra bucket in the trailer - you can use it for a quick discreet wee if you need to :p - no one will ever know...

bellatrix

Visit site
Have you got any horsey friends you could take? I seem to be one of those friends that always goes and plays groom/photographer for friends at shows :p I actually enjoy it!

alainax

Visit site
Some really great advice! Thanks a lot for all the tips and stuff I hadnt even thought of!

It doesn't seem so daunting now :) and maybe a fun way to meet more horsey people :)

doratheexplorer

Visit site
I have recently passed my trailer test, so far I have taken B out three times on my own just for lessons. I will be competing him all summer, on my own!!

So far the best advice is to be really organised, have all your tack ready to go, set out your buckets filled with water etc...

alainax

Visit site
I have recently passed my trailer test, so far I have taken B out three times on my own just for lessons. I will be competing him all summer, on my own!!

So far the best advice is to be really organised, have all your tack ready to go, set out your buckets filled with water etc...

Yes I agree, being organised will take most of the stress out of it!

Im really a bit ocd about being organised :eek: I have already wrote a time table and the first show is still over 2 weeks away :p

I am still sure though there will be somthing I forget :eek:
/i have been alone. Ask for leg ups, borrow warm up fences. Horse goes back on lorry whenever im not using him, i never tie to lorry!

See.... this is my other big concern. Getting on!
We have just managed to get to grips with getting on from the block, I am thinking about taking my block with me :eek:

I had never really thought of loading him back up again when im not there, but now I see it makes alot of sense, like Arctic fox said they can really just cause a commotion.

The first show is in-hand though, ill decide on the day if im going put my brave pants on and get on him :p But I think id prefer to do that at a show where theres an arena, and not just a show field :p

Theocat

Visit site
I've done it twice now, with a trailer rather than a box. Mine won't stand quietly in the trailer :rolleyes: and won't stand quietly tied up :rolleyes: and won't stand quietly if you hold him :rolleyes: so I leave him banging for five minutes while I run to get my number, then unload him, tack up, warm up (so called = trying to chill out rather than actually getting decent work out of him), do test, untack, load and straight home again.

My only advice is think through what you need and have it ultra handy, and think in advance what you want to do with your car keys - I hid them in a rug in the trailer because I was too disorganised to think of string to hang it round my neck, and didn't have pockets, and couldn't reach my bra under a show jacket and stock!! For a first time, it might be easier only doing one test or class until you see how it goes.

I'm hoping mine improves with experience, but he's just SO NOSY! :mad:

People are always massively helpful, though, so don't ever worry about asking for help, etc! :)

I usually go back (at least to our RC events) so I can actually get a bit of the social side / help out a bit without worrying about a bored neddy making his boredom very clear :D

alainax

Visit site
I've done it twice now, with a trailer rather than a box. Mine won't stand quietly in the trailer :rolleyes: and won't stand quietly tied up :rolleyes: and won't stand quietly if you hold him :rolleyes: so I leave him banging for five minutes while I run to get my number, then unload him, tack up, warm up (so called = trying to chill out rather than actually getting decent work out of him), do test, untack, load and straight home again.

My only advice is think through what you need and have it ultra handy, and think in advance what you want to do with your car keys - I hid them in a rug in the trailer because I was too disorganised to think of string to hang it round my neck, and didn't have pockets, and couldn't reach my bra under a show jacket and stock!! For a first time, it might be easier only doing one test or class until you see how it goes.

I'm hoping mine improves with experience, but he's just SO NOSY! :mad:

People are always massively helpful, though, so don't ever worry about asking for help, etc! :)

I usually go back (at least to our RC events) so I can actually get a bit of the social side / help out a bit without worrying about a bored neddy making his boredom very clear :D

You must have my horses twin :p Ill practice letting him stand for a wee while in the trailer at the yard, see how that goes :)

I bought a show jacket that has an internal zippy pocket, for keys :D

Really great to hear someone else with a horse with a similar mentality can do it :)

sam-b

Visit site
I often go out on my own, most recently with my newly backed four year old! I really find its just a matter of getting on with it and being organised! Generally most people will do you as fence or help you get on :)

Andiamo

Visit site
I always use the block in the warm up to get on.
At one show I was at, another lone competitor had brought a very sensible fold-up mounting block. It was very lightweight and easy to store. She kept it by her trailer and jumped on her horse there.

Hopefully your horse will stand still for you to get on? If not, just ask someone to hold the front end for you :)

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
I nearly always go by myself. either that or not go!
As everyone says, get organised, tack in layers - I event so it is packed in reverse order so dressage saddle on top. My dear mare cannot stand waiting on the box for hours so i always walk course the day before (I love doubling the diesel bill) so when i arrive i just have to nip and collect number. Trailer makes a lovely loo (not) why a bucket though? something else to clean. Have been known to reload mare between phases for the sole reason of needing a wee in the trailer and not trusting her to be sensible tied behind it........
and yes, ask folk for help, often they offer if they see you be yourself.

Llanali

Visit site
If I can manage two hunting dogs, a young horse and do two classes whilst pregnant I promise anyone can! I was not always efficient but I am now!!!

It's vital they learn to stand nicely; as much hay as they need and not being afraid of judicious application of hobbles as a training tool helps. I also make sure they will go on and off repeatedly all day long, I never tack up off the box ( in a trailer I just moved the partition or travelled without) and only remove saddle and boots outside box. In fact i dont even Have tie up rings outside. Having lost a young TB around addington car park years ago, I've never again unbridled when not securely between partitions.

Practise making sure your horse will stand whilst you do partitions/ramp etc. I get mine to the point of self loading now, so I stay at the back end for ramp.

Other than that and allowing loads of time for dog walking, course walking, loo finding and tea drinking, I don't do anything differently and like ArcticFox almost prefer being alone.

I take a mounting block- baby bump and big blocks on dressage saddle mean balancing on mud guards/wheel arches is easier said than done!

Enjoy- the collecting ring stewards and secretaries are very helpful usually, and you will soon find you see the same faces.

alainax

Visit site
I often go out on my own, most recently with my newly backed four year old! I really find its just a matter of getting on with it and being organised! Generally most people will do you as fence or help you get on :)

He's 6 this year, but the fizzy excitability of a baby! I think as you say, if I just get on with it, as a matter of fact it would be ok :)
I always use the block in the warm up to get on.
At one show I was at, another lone competitor had brought a very sensible fold-up mounting block. It was very lightweight and easy to store. She kept it by her trailer and jumped on her horse there.

Hopefully your horse will stand still for you to get on? If not, just ask someone to hold the front end for you :)

He doesnt go forwards, more backwards and spinning the quarters out. Although I may be able to have the trailer at his bum, so he has no where to go backwards to.

That would be another thing to try at the yard I guess :)

I nearly always go by myself. either that or not go!
As everyone says, get organised, tack in layers - I event so it is packed in reverse order so dressage saddle on top. My dear mare cannot stand waiting on the box for hours so i always walk course the day before (I love doubling the diesel bill) so when i arrive i just have to nip and collect number. Trailer makes a lovely loo (not) why a bucket though? something else to clean. Have been known to reload mare between phases for the sole reason of needing a wee in the trailer and not trusting her to be sensible tied behind it........
and yes, ask folk for help, often they offer if they see you be yourself.
ouch at the double diesel bill! :eek: hehe I was never aware of the weeing in trailers thing till today - I have been educated :D

If I can manage two hunting dogs, a young horse and do two classes whilst pregnant I promise anyone can! I was not always efficient but I am now!!!

It's vital they learn to stand nicely; as much hay as they need and not being afraid of judicious application of hobbles as a training tool helps. I also make sure they will go on and off repeatedly all day long, I never tack up off the box ( in a trailer I just moved the partition or travelled without) and only remove saddle and boots outside box. In fact i dont even Have tie up rings outside. Having lost a young TB around addington car park years ago, I've never again unbridled when not securely between partitions.

Practise making sure your horse will stand whilst you do partitions/ramp etc. I get mine to the point of self loading now, so I stay at the back end for ramp.

Other than that and allowing loads of time for dog walking, course walking, loo finding and tea drinking, I don't do anything differently and like ArcticFox almost prefer being alone.

I take a mounting block- baby bump and big blocks on dressage saddle mean balancing on mud guards/wheel arches is easier said than done!

Enjoy- the collecting ring stewards and secretaries are very helpful usually, and you will soon find you see the same faces.

wow you make it sound easy! :eek: Thank you for your tips :)

Llanali

Visit site
Ha, it isn't to start with, but it certainly becomes easy with practice I promise. :)

It's just preparation at home- and I don't just mean the tack order and buckets- which is seriously organised and clever from the above posters!! Hats off for reverse tack layering! - but the prep for the horse. It would be a tricky position to get to the show and realise your horse won't stay on the trailer for 30 secs whilst you whizz and stick the bar across :) I put a feed bucket over te chest bar a few times if I am worried ;)

I did leave the dogs at home for the first few attempts when I first went alone mind you. As long as your horse is on the box, they are safe for you to leave and the rest is not really any different to riding at home, except verything is at arms reach and not strewn across the tack room, kitchen, hay barn.... Or at least it is for me!

whizzer

Visit site
I used to compete all the time by myself,never bothered me &i quite enjoyed just having to look out for myself! I was mega organised & luckily have a fab horse who will stand tied to the lorry all day. He was less keen on being left in the lorry but just fidgeted & didn't do anything terrible. I used to take cash & keep it in my breeches pocket. I'd take 1 bank card & just hide that,keys & phone somewhere on the lorry. I used the lorry ramp to get on or find a handy fence, luckily I have a great memory for dressage tests & jumping courses, horse didn't need to jump many warm up fences, in fact less the better as he was very keen so I'd just tag onto someone in the warm up & pop a few. I'd often get talking to people & if I was unsure about anything I'd just ask.

whizzer

Visit site
Also I after a few years I acquired a Jack Russell terrier & used to leave him in the lorry cab with valuables, anyone who was foolish enough to open the cab would soon have regretted it!!!

showpony

Visit site
I wouldn't have the confidence to go out alone just yet . BUT at my first registered dressage debut couple wks ago my friend had gone to the loo and the girl parked next to us came up and said she didn't recognise me ( local venue with mainly the same people competing) started chatting and asked if I needed any help, she even loaned me a bridle number holder As I didn't have one. she was so so so nice and went on to win the class. we came third. The following week I went to look at a local sj comp, gave 3 people leg ups , helped put fences up and down and caught a naughty pony that jumped out of arena. So my motto is if you can help others don't be afraid to ask for help yourself.

liannexsx

Visit site
I remember going to shows with a girl on the yard when I was an early teenager as a groom. Even though it was Bsja and I didn't jump, I loved her horse and loved going to shows! I remember her giving me a fiver for it, and I really didn't want it, the day out itself was brill!

NaeNae87

Visit site
I take my horse out all the time and compete with him. I don't mind, even though I may not have a helper or groom I have made friends with people I compete against regularly.

I make sure I have everything organised and in order before I leave. I find I relax a lot more if I know where everything is. I organise it so My dressage stuff is at the front or on top and easily accessable. Then SJ and finally XC (as that is the order my classes normally run in).

I leave my horse at the float by himself most of the day. We tend to use float yards over here. They are like portable pens that attach to the side of the float. The horses can be left by themselves with have and water. They can move around and roll and see other horses without you worrying that they will get themselves into trouble when tied up. They get stored on the side of the float when not in use.
floatyards_zps35d433b1.png

capel1_zpse55e86cd.png

JennyNZ

Visit site
I do everything on my own. Show, dressage and endurance ride.

If I'm taking out a young horse for the first time, I'll leave it in the float while I go get back numbers etc, and then hang around to make sure they stay tied up ok.

But once we are past that then - no problem.

The only time I ask for help is if I'm doing a really big endurance ride and feel I need a strapper. :)