Do you love or hate Arabs - and why?

htobago

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
not too fussed either way - i think they are beautiful to look at. have ridden one - poorly schooled so was cranky. and loaned another, she was great to hack we went for miles, but to look after a bit of a pain in respect of she cut herself a few times in the short space of time I had her and just stuck me as very "delicate" and was definately hot headed. But i do like them as a breed but not sure i'd have one again i like slightly more robust/rough and ready horses, like my heinz 57 pony i have now who i can just throw at anything (so to speak) and touch wood never breaks. I think the breed type says they are very "hardy" this always surprises me but i can only speak of the ones i've met.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do see your point Vicki - but I think maybe you were just unlucky to have a couple of accident-prone ones! I agree they can look very delicate, but normally (not always) they are a lot tougher than they look. My first horse was a 15.1 Arab stally - I bought him unbroken as a 4yo - this is a pic of him eventing (affiliated, Novice) as a 5yo:

Laddiejumping.jpg

He also did affiliated SJ and dressage, plus hunter trials and drag-hunting - carrying 13 stone - and was never lame, sick or sorry once in the 10 years I had him. A very tough, brave little horse.

I'm hoping Tobago will follow in his hoofsteps, and believe it or not, I chose Tobago as much for his athletic conformation and action as for his pretty face! Here is a bit of an idea of the athletic action, anyway (he's a 2yo in these pics, which don't do him justice):

Tobagomalverntrot2.jpg

tobagotrotting.jpg

Sorry - I don't mean to seem defensive - and this is kind of in reply to a couple of other posts as well, not just yours Vicki!

Anyway - athletic potential and all, he's probably not as 'rough and ready' as your pony! And I have to admit he did just come back from Twemlows with a slight graze on his near-fore fetlock, apparently caused by trying to rear up in his stable and get both front feet into the chest-high feed-bowl! It was a new game he invented. He likes games.
crazy.gif

htobago

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
QR -

I just like "crabbit" and useful looking arabs with a bit of substance about them. All this breeding to extremes has put me off the breed (think it's the egyptians) and some look like toilet rolls on legs that couldn't even carry a rider. Such a shame but it happens in all breeds when humans get involved!

[/ QUOTE ]

I (sort of) agree with you here, Shiraz - my preference in Arabs is for very exotic, dishy heads, BUT I want them set on to proper athletic bodies, that can carry a rider well in any discipline, NOT the dreadful ones with no depth of girth, over-long, spindly cannons, etc.

The show-Arab people love this boy for his exotic head, high tail carriage, etc., but vets, eventers, racing people, dressage riders, etc. comment on his correct conformation. One dressage rider, looking at the photo below, said to me "If I put my thumbs over his silly dishy face and ridiculous tail, I see a dressage horse!"

tobagomalvern0122cr2.jpg

Maybe try this experiment and see what you think LOL?!
wink.gif
smile.gif

xfeex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know what I think of him!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks xninax!

What are your thoughts on Arabs generally?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mostly prefer the anglo's or part breds, I do like arabs but they have to be a good one but that is what I think of most breeds.

I don't have a fav breed but I am a sucker for anything pretty that can do a job.

PiaffeRM

Visit site
I am sorry to say but I really dislike Arabs. Dont like the look of them at all, too fine, too funny faced........
crazy.gif

I love marmite though.

EstherYoung

Visit site
I always like to think that a good ayrab will take you into war and live in your tent. Actually one of ours wouldn't be a very good houseguest as he'd eat you out of house and home and then spend the night pulling your guyropes out for fun
wink.gif
but my older lad is that war horse. They're not all spindly little neurotic things whose sole purpose in life is to twirl round on the end of a bit of string snorting.

Htrottingstape.jpg

Absolutely everything we've asked Harry to do, he's done - ride, drive, hunt, jump, swim, etc etc etc... He's currently 22 and still going strong.

Hdriving.jpg

Even our Spud, who just makes us smile (the grey horse in my sig), and who used to be one of those snorting twirling show horses, has proved to be an excellent trail horse - if we ever have anyone over to ride out with us we always stick them on Spud because I know he'll look after them.

Personally I think the in hand scene is quite damaging to the breed amongst non arab people as it just perpetuates the 'useless, neurotic, scatty' myth.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
My old girl is an Anglo (straight 50/50), her arab lines are Crabbet. I have had her since she was 4 and she is now nearing 30, she and I have had some great times and fun together, she has taught me all she knows! Minty was a 'fun' ride but always safe and 100% honest.

I always used to say that arabs got a bad press and that they were not just the poodle of the horseworld. However, I absolutely HATE what the showing world has done to the arab, from the extreme (exotic
confused.gif
) heads that cause breathing difficulties to the plastic bags on the end of whips - just makes me sad, what was already a beautiful breed is being bred to look like a charicature of itself - sorry if this offends anyone
crazy.gif

pinktiger

Visit site
am sure its just me, or the photos, but he seems to be more of a substantial (bone type )arab type than that i have seen of late???????????????????????????????
confused.gif

he is beautiful in his own right and although wouldnt be my choice for me, he obviously is very talented!!!

EstherYoung

Visit site
pinktiger - there are all sorts of different strains out there, from the 13.2 wirey petite ayrabs through to 16 hand substantial brick outhouse Bahrainis (who, although purebred, look quite Iberian and nothing like the arabs you're probably used to - google Pearl Island Arabians). They should all be robust and tough small riding horses, but unfortunately when breeding trends turn into a 'who can breed the dishiest face on the most snakey neck' competition, the legs and feet go to pot.

But the good side with them not being particularly trendy as riding horses is that those of us who like them can pick up a ruddy good all purpose small riding horse for a relatively small amount of ££......and because the expensive show arabs aren't necessarily what you would want in a riding horse, it doesn't follow that the more ££ you spend will get you a better animal. If you know what you're looking for there are some serious bargains to be had. I dread to think what a reliable, sound, all purpose riding horse who will go anywhere and have a go at anything would cost if it were a more trendy warmblood or a coloured cob.

htobago

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
am sure its just me, or the photos, but he seems to be more of a substantial (bone type )arab type than that i have seen of late???????????????????????????????
confused.gif

he is beautiful in his own right and although wouldnt be my choice for me, he obviously is very talented!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is about Tobago, but as twiglet hasn't posted any photos here I'll assume it is!

I'm afraid the talented jumping photo isn't Tobago - it's my first horse (confusingly also a chestnut Arab stallion) called General Lee Gold. He was 5 in that photo, whereas Tobago has only just turned 4, and we're only just starting to back him, so not sure how talented he is just yet!

General Lee Gold had 8 inches of bone and was indeed a substantial 'Crabbet' type. Tobago is much more the refined, modern 'show' type, but still a powerful, athletic horse. I haven't actually measured his bone (must do that) but it will be less than General Lee Gold's, for sure, although still I think in proportion with his lighter frame.
smile.gif

Tobago has done the whole 'twirling and looking pretty on a string' thing, but will now I hope go on to prove himself under saddle...
wink.gif

Ainoga

Visit site
You can't beat them! Loyal, beautiful and simply breathtaking action... Oh and yes my mare can jump - she proved it recently by jumping out of our school, over a three and half/four foot fence in fine style!