Do you prefer Gelding or mares?

rcm_73

Visit site
Most people I know seem to prefer geldings and I find geldings are better for my two daughters as they tend to tolerate more than a mare. I myself have to mares and I prefer a mare to a gelding, not sure why I just tend to get along better with them, maybe I am a fairly quiet and laid back rider and I 'ask' my horse a question rather than 'tell' it what to do!

missyme10

Visit site
I've always preferred mares until I bought a gelding 3 months ago.
I'd only had one gelding before and he could be a horror so stuck to mares after that, I think I was just more comfortable with them and knew how to deal with them better.

Now I dont really care, I'd have either, although my filly has been such a horror this year with her first few seasons, she could convert me to geldings all the way lol

lynds81

Visit site
I don't mind either tbh... I would say geldings are often a bit more straightforward and less variable to ride on a daily basis, but mares will often go the extra mile for you if you have a really good relationship with them.

Enfys

Visit site
I currently don't buy geldings as I have no use for them.

As to whether I prefer them, if a horse does the job I want it to then gender is irrelevant to me, I've had good mares and geldings in the past.

wilsha

Visit site
Theres good points about both...geldings have a better temprament and i have one :) but you can get pink stuff for mares without your brother reminding you that your pony is a boy

Spit That Out

Visit site
Had both over the years and prefer geldings as the mares I've had have been a bit stroppy, squirting, messy in the stable and had their own views when riding...However i have had the odd grumpy, lazy gelding!!!
I wanted a gelding for my new horse, however if i had found the perfect horse and was a girly then i wouldn't have not bought her.
It never even crossed my mind as i didn't want to breed my own but there are a few people i know that have a mare and only wanted a mare to breed from if she can no longer be ridden etc...but thats a whole different debate!!!!

SVMel

Visit site
Was geldings all the way, but now have two excellent mares who have improved me no end. Not on the riding front, but my 'open mindedness'. They have taught me a lot.

Maybe thats because geldings on the whole appear more tolerant, I don't know. But I'm glad its happened the way it has for me!

Have a good balance now, two girls, two boys. But one of the girls definately OWNS me :D

Beckie65

Visit site
I prefer geldings, and reason for this is that i find they will have there tantrum there and then and thats it, my mum had a mare and she was very sensitive to her seasons and was awful to handle she was a right tart, but worst still she was cunning if she had a tantrum you knew about it as she would do anything to get you off, rear buck, bolt roll, and even trying to chuck you on barbed wire. If she did get you off god help ya lol she would lunge at you and bite. (only when she was in season she did this i may add) we did put her on supplements recommended by the vets it made a bit of difference but not alot.

Santa Clause

Visit site
this is tricky
my mare is the biggest pain in the arse, wont stay in her stable, wont stanbd on the yard, very bargy & is so unpredictable when ridden; somedays she'll be a plod along the next she'll be galloping round the school, vertical rears etc
No one will even tie their horse up on the yard is shes out :eek:

but then again i have never had a gelding, i would love one thats just not possible atm :(

KatB

Visit site
I've always been a gelding person.... never liked mares! Now I have a mare and I adore her. She is a bit trickier than the boys I've dealt with, but also very clever and quick to learn things. She is also a lot more affectionate and has more personality (and I have owned some very extrovert boys!) :D I would definitely have a mare again :D

Visit site
Generally geldings as they are easier to get on with! Although I have met a few fantastic mares so I wouldn't rule out having a mare completely. Also, they say if you build a strong partnership with a mare, she'll do anything for you.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I have both, but adore mares.
I love their sense of self and the fact that they couldn't give a toss when you say 'because I said so', -they want to know 'why'. They want to speak to you, have conversations, offer opinions and be listened to with respect. In return they give such loyalty and can be amazingly bright and brave. I love 'em.

Charlie007

Visit site
I prefer geldings!! I currently have a gelding that really should have been born a mare tho!! You have to ask him, not tell him, and if you can make him think what you want to do is his idea then he is great!! I have had a mare in the past and just didn't get on with them as well. But thats not to say if I was looking for a horse and a mare did all the things I wanted then I would buy!!

Umbongo

Visit site
Mares all the way. Just do not get on with geldings very much and end up arguing with them. All the mares I ridden have been temperamental...however I seem to have much more patience with them and once we click I feel like they would do anything for me....a relationship I have never had with a gelding.

Did have one gelding that I didn't mind so much but he was a bit stupid :p