Do you prefer riding in long boots or short boots?

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
For the last however many years, I have ridden in my Dublin river boots with fluffy tops. This is handy as it means I don't have to change boots in the freezing cold for riding, and the steel toe caps always seem to come in handy. They do sometimes slip down at the top when I'm riding, but once I pull them back up they're fine.

Yesterday I set off to the gym in trainers and gym clothes, but found it completely rammed with no machines free, so I decided to go and see the horse instead as he's a few minutes drive away. I hadn't anticipated riding, so I didn't have any riding stuff but I thought I'd hop on and ride without stirrups as I don't think riding in trainers is safe. Towards the end of my session I did a few minutes of trot with stirrups in my trainers and couldn't believe how much better my entire contact was. My leg felt as though it was in the right position (I have a very responsive gelding with a barrel belly as he's half Welsh D so it can be hard to keep my leg back and keep contact), I felt more balanced and more in control of my legs in general.

Does anyone prefer short boots to long boots for this reason? I'm not sure if it's just the Dublin boots which are quite thick and inflexible. Should I maybe try a less rigid long boot?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I find I put my leg in a better, longer position that I can wrap around the horse, when I'm wearing long boots. With shorter boots I seem to grip up more. Thank goodness there are options we can choose from!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
hate riding in short boots, I have hypermobile ankles so I really appreciate the stability that stiff long boots provide. It took a while to get used to as I was used to having much more feel but it means you feel the horse elsewhere more, I think - I get more feedback through my seat now that the sensation through my boots is duller.

coss

Visit site
For the last however many years, I have ridden in my Dublin river boots with fluffy tops. This is handy as it means I don't have to change boots in the freezing cold for riding, and the steel toe caps always seem to come in handy. They do sometimes slip down at the top when I'm riding, but once I pull them back up they're fine.

Yesterday I set off to the gym in trainers and gym clothes, but found it completely rammed with no machines free, so I decided to go and see the horse instead as he's a few minutes drive away. I hadn't anticipated riding, so I didn't have any riding stuff but I thought I'd hop on and ride without stirrups as I don't think riding in trainers is safe. Towards the end of my session I did a few minutes of trot with stirrups in my trainers and couldn't believe how much better my entire contact was. My leg felt as though it was in the right position (I have a very responsive gelding with a barrel belly as he's half Welsh D so it can be hard to keep my leg back and keep contact), I felt more balanced and more in control of my legs in general.

Does anyone prefer short boots to long boots for this reason? I'm not sure if it's just the Dublin boots which are quite thick and inflexible. Should I maybe try a less rigid long boot?

I suspect the key to your leg being in a better position and feeling the contact etc was all better was the fact you'd done work without stirrups! I used to much prefer long boots but now don't mind if they are short or long but always have chaps/gaitors on if short boots.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Always in long leather boots.
Hacking I have an old pair to use
Schooling I always wear my comp boots. For me nothing worse than getting on the horse at a comp and it feeling different.

AFB

Visit site
Much much much prefer long boots, but proper long boots. County boots give you nothing positive (unstable footbed, thick unfitting leather and no ankle support) so I can understand why you would prefer being without them.

claret09

Visit site
short boots every time. goes back to showing ponies as a child. hate riding in long boots, completely different feel. my boy reacts totally differently - like wearing mufflers

Nudibranch

Visit site
Long boots, unfortunately with summer coming. I'm another hypermobile and my ankles just cave in short boots, so anything more than walk becomes a bit silly.

Elsbells

Visit site
No ones mentioned safety, so I will.
Having had a bad fall at gallop, if I hadn't of been wearing my long Ariats im convicted I would of suffered a badly broken ankle. As it was I thankfully only suffered a blackened and swollen one for 2 weeks instead! I was also able to get back on and ride back as the long boots acted as an effective splint.
No short boots for me, no never.

Bob notacob

Visit site
omg ,dont get me started on the subject of rider biomechanics. It all starts with the position of the stirrup bar because that is the fixed point about which all the forces act. Footwear, foot size ,ridgidity at the ankle ,they are all relevant.What works for one rider most definately doesnt work for all

WandaMare

Visit site
Short boots at home for schooling, long boots for jumping and hacking. I prefer the feel of short boots and chaps but from a safety aspect I agree with Elsbells, long boots have softened the impact of falls on my lower leg many times, so I wear those for more risky activities.

scats

Visit site
I prefer riding in country boots to be honest, although my competition boots are fairly comfortable for a long boot.

I don’t like riding in short boots without some chaps. It doesn’t affect my leg position at all, but I feel naked...

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
If I wear short boots without chaps, I find the stirrup leather rubs against and irritates the inside of my leg so it doesn't help your position when you are trying to avoid contact.

Nicnac

Visit site
Used to love short boots but can't stand them now with or without chaps or riding in country boots or similar. Has to be long leather riding boots for me but not stiff ones as don't like those either - fussy much?! Find the Ariat ones with suede on the inside of the calf (Bromonts?) give good feel as softer.

Visit site
Short boots all the way! I like to be able to bend my ankles! They have saved me from flying out the side door more times than I care to count! If I'm in long boots it's very thin leather showing ones.

skint1

Visit site
Short boots! I have just bought a new pair of Woof Wear riding trainers or whatever they're called and they seem very comfy to ride in. Not that I ride a lot at the moment, but when I do, I think I will be happy in those!

buzyizzy

Visit site
Love my jodhpur boots, always buy Loveson ones and they are just so comfortable. Dublin half chaps over jods or full chaps over shorts. I do have cheap long boots, but never wear them.