Do you smack your horses?

Rosie'smum

Visit site
I have given rosie a tap on the nose for trying to eat her haynet as im putting it up, as a result she now stands happily behind me,(this also happens in the field) also with her tea i only have to show her the finger and she backs away and turns her head to i allow her to eat.
Where as my friends horses try to eat hay while im tieing it up or snatch at it in the field and are generally rude.

I do admit sometimes I am a bit hand happy and then think after what have i done and regret it. But she is generally a well mannered horse now then when i got her and generally dont need to tap her.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Yes if it warrants it - unfortunately if I put her on the naughty step and ask her why she chose to bite/barge (or whatever) mummy she doesn't say very much.

Likewise she doesn't give her field mates friendship bracelets or defriend them from facebook when they're naughty she does what she knows - nuzzles/grooms or turns her bum on them.

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
I have smacked horses for biting or kicking out or generally doing something dangerous, depends completely on the horse, most often it has worked and horse stopped the behaviour. Some horses I would never dream of smacking.

I have a horse that once bit me so hard on the ar$e I had a huge bruise for weeks, my immediate reaction was to smack her on the shoulder as I thought she was very bad mannered to do that, horse spun round and kicked out so fast that I didnt have a second to think and she actually knocked the cap off my head! 3 inches nearer I'd probably be dead. So before giving a horse a smack or trying to teach them some manners 'their way', remember they might just decided to teach you who's boss their way too!

So point of my post is to say, please be careful if trying to teach horses manners in this way, if we want to speak their language we must be ready for them to respond in their own language too ;)

Tonty Tont

Visit site
Thank you to all of those who replied, I've enjoyed reading all of the different opinions :)

When I said smack, I meant a tap on their shoulder, not a thump. I only physically reprimand them very occasionally, it's not a daily thing :)

On their own, the horses are lovely, but when they are together they become very aggressive. I would rather give them a smack than end up in a heap on the ground unconscious :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
It's horses for courses.

We have one that is the rudest lad ever. He'd lost any manners long before we got him. Over the years they've come back to some extent, but it's pointless smacking him as he'll just keeping going (barging). You have to get inventive with moving bits of him around (he no longer bites or kicks, just barges/tanks off occasionally now).

Grey Mare would be devastated if she were smacked, so a poke with a finger works with her.

Little Cob doesn't do anything these days to be reprimanded for.

Dizzy can be and is an **** if allowed to get away with anything. I let it happen once, and paid for it - she used her hind legs to get me to her teeth, which she used to hold me whilst she got me with her feet, and used her shoulder to squidge me in-between. When shes testing the boundaries her favourite is the squidge with the shoulder, where she gets a slap to tell her to back off; or the other one, which is to lift her head over mine, but not quite clear my head..., if I don't reprimand her she'll do it again, only a bit lower and faster; it bl00dy hurts! She gets a thump or a boot (flat of a welly) on the chest muscles for that, then she goes soft and loving and won't do it again for many months. She is a brilliant horse, but if she's allowed to push the boundaries back half an inch she'll take your head off.

I try and use body language and specific noises rather than anything physical, but if it's a dangerous situation I'll use whatever I need to to stay safe.

Horses definitely know the difference. In the field once with my last horse, Tiggy. I was taking her out and one of the two geldings that sometimes fought over her, went for me. I was just moving between her body (side on) and a big, solid gate post to undo the gate as one of the geldings came for me. Tiggy read the situation quicker than I did (I should have been quicker and protected her!). She arced her body around me, protecting me, and took the brunt of the blow from the gelding. If she hadn't either arced her body or taken the blow, I wouldn't be here. I must have been having an off day. Usually I knew there would be a chance that horse would go for whoever took Tigs out and I'd be ready for him, including smacking his butt or shoulder with a rope if I needed to. My inattention was noticed and the gelding thought he could get me. My fault.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Yep.

If one of my horses barges or threatens to kick out, that is unacceptable in my mind, and I have no problem giving them a slap.

In biting, barging or kicking they are challenging me as a leader, so they're told off. End of.

J&C

fburton

Visit site
Watch horses in the field. They still get punished from those higher up being idiots and who push the line. Apparently some just like to keep pushing. And sometimes in a herd situation you have disaster days in which the hierarchy is really challenged. A normal happy group can become chaos every now and again. Obviously lessons have not been learned.
Often it's a matter of interpretation. I've watched horses interacting, for hours on end. Most of the kerfuffle I have seen in what one would expect to be stable groups, where the herd isn't being changed by horses being added and taken away, is due to inappropriate aggression from bullies. In that case, there is no provocation from subordinate horses. I have seen cases of youngsters being "disciplined" by adults, but they generally learn their lesson pretty quickly. TBH, I have not seen what you describe as "idiots who like to keep pushing". YMMV, of course. How often does this happen? If on a regular basis, it should be fairly easy to document on video by someone.

But this is all somewhat academic in my opinion, because we're not horses so aren't obliged to behave as they do or participate in their hierarchy disputes. Just because horses kick and bite each other from time to time doesn't mean we have to emulate that behaviour ourselves if there are alternatives which work, and horses understand, perfectly well - which there are.

amandap

Visit site
But this is all somewhat academic in my opinion, because we're not horses so aren't obliged to behave as they do or participate in their hierarchy disputes. Just because horses kick and bite each other from time to time doesn't mean we have to emulate that behaviour ourselves if there are alternatives which work, and horses understand, perfectly well - which there are.
Trying to keep out of this one but I do agree here.
Also, if you are going to use the 'horses do it to each other' model and be their 'herd leader' then imo they have a right to kick you back! After all you are aiming for them to think you're a horse!
Surely establishing rules and respect for those 'rules' and each other is the important bit. I believe we should throw in our respect for horses as well, not just expect them to respect us! Using hitting when you have been warned by the horse and haven't listened is our fault not the horses imo.

It's taken me a long time to tease out where my thinking sits in the varied general horse world on these matters but I'm getting there I think.

scarymare

Visit site
Yes very definitely if needed. Horses are too big and powerful not to respect you. My 3 month old foal was a nightmare and used to come at me rearing/bucking and squealing when I tried to feed her and her mum. Not aggressive just over bold. A single smack with a lunge whip (not the string bit) was all that was needed to get her to back off and wait by the bowls. Sorry but I'm just not prepared to get double barrelled or risk injury and death just for an unmannerly horse. I would never even raise a hand to her mother though. The rest of them really don't need it tbh, although I do carry a stick when I'm doing the cob's feather mites - just knowing I've got it stops him striking out.

milesjess

Visit site
Rarely... Mines quite sensitive and tends to listen to voice commands more.

However, on the rare occasion when he doesn't listen and it's required I will give him a tap. Wouldn't call it a smack, more of a nudge. Never on his face though as it's taken me long enough to gain his trust.
If the situation arose though where he needed a firmer hand I wouldn't hesitate... It's not about being aggressive or abusive, it's about maintaining respect, boundaries and keeping a safe environment for us both.

Some horses do need a firm hand though, where as others don't. IMO disipline is essential to a safe, healthy relationship with any animal.

Everyone treats their horses differently and have opinions they do and don't agree with.

I love my horse but if he ever threatened to kick, barge, bite etc... Then he would be told in the way I see fit to deal with it, just the same if my dog was to growl or bite me... Not that they ever would haha :p

fburton

Visit site
Well said, milesjess. Your point about using the firmness or severity necessary to establish and maintain boundaries is a very good one. Horses are individuals and knowing your horse is crucial for deciding (or intuiting, because a lot of this is down to "feel") what level of correction will be effective without overdoing it. Often it takes very little, and something less than a smack is quite sufficient. Going over the top, especially combined with getting angry, can undo good work and lead to a loss of trust - yet horses are incredibly forgiving. On the other hand, too wimpy a response can quickly lead to the horse simply ignoring you. Judging how strongly to react is one of the things that makes it hard to get punishment right - on top of having to react in a split second (I used to think 3 seconds was okay, but now think it is too late), and controlling one's emotions.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I smack if needed and would be livid if someone didn't smack
My horse if he bit kicked etc.., consistent message is needed - horses understand - just watch them together in the field they physically reprimand one and other...

Marydoll

Visit site
My horse if he bit kicked etc.., consistent message is needed - horses understand - just watch them together in the field they physically reprimand one and other...

Really ... And if tney dealt with a bite as they went by your horse by punching his face or striking his face with a stick, would you still be happy ?
What im saying is, some folks have no respect with how they dicipline their own horses and will do so in an extreme manner, ive seen what ive described done to a horse for just being there, not charging anyone down or threatening but just being at the gate simply because the person was an agressive pig and thats how tbey treated their horse. Never give anyone carte blanche to lift their hands to your horse

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I will give mine a smack for discipline.

RE: smacking other peoples horses all depends on the situation for me.
An example I rode a friends horse whilst she was on holiday, I had to get it out of the field it shared with 2 others, the other 2 got very over crowding with me and I felt very vulnerable and when one snaked its head at me I did give it a smack, but I feel it was warranted for my safety

scarymare

Visit site

I must admit I had to really hold myself back from smacking my friend's horse the other day (she was there). It double-barrelled mine (I was mounted) and as I had owned her horse before her it was almost reflex. Stopped myself though cos I don't think she would have ever forgiven me. She adores it but it really did need a firm instant reprimand not the cuddle she gave it. Bet it will do it again.

indie999

Visit site
I wouldnt routinely but my big bellowing NO NO NO usually works for the old boy....however on the rare occassion it has decided to have a bit of fun with me ie on a windy mad day galloping by with a buck..I wouldnt hesitate to lob a stone/stick and have taken the lunge whip in but as I say this is a rarity. Most of the time he is as docile as a lamb!

I agree it would be easy to make a horse headshy etc and yes I have smacked and it hurts my hand. I do push away if I get a pushy horse and I wouldnt put up with messing around and expect respect. But its striking(sorry pun not intended)a happy relationship, I do want to make their time with me pleasant enjoyable too. At the end of the day they are bigger and stronger than us and most of the time they dont realise it! Thankfully.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
i have smacked my own horse and other peoples horses when my safety has been at risk. i would much prefer someone to hit my horse than to find out my horse had caused serious injury to someone else. I dont however ever smack a face, i tend to go for shoulder or chest.
I have also been known to 'bite' my pony. he was a naughty thing who used to bite for the sake of it not due to being scared or worried. So instead of smacking him i reprimanded him like i was his leader and bit him ( a pinch of his skin basically) he soon learnt not to do it and i told other people who handled him to do the same.
Horses need consistency and a firm hand is sometimes required at the end of the day they are much bigger than us and smacking them with our bare hands is not actually going to cause much if any pain in most areas of them its just a shock so they think. If you turn a naughty horse out in a herd and it does something wrong the ones higher up tell it off out of respect this is the same for with people. Agreed alot of the time a raised voice is all thats needed though

jenki13

Visit site
My horse came to me very nippy as she was always fed treats by the previous owners. Tried telling her off but it didn't work but one day she did it & I managed to smack her on the end of the nose within a second. She hasn't bit me again & I can feed her treats now with her waiting patiently.

I don't smack my horse around the face for any other reprimand. However I will give her a smack on the shoulder or on the side if she fancies cow-kicking me or swinging her bum towards me / being excessively bargey. A push & "move over" is usually enough to get her to stop pushing past or squishing me!

She also knows when she's being told off. For example she was a bit "fresh" walking out to the field the other day & decided to suddenly jump up, kick backwards & do a mini rear a sharp "Get Down" made her lead normally again until we got in her field where she attempted to run off then jumped, span, kicked (not at me) & general pratting about she got a "BEHAVE, STOP NOW! GET HERE" growl/shout. Stood & allowed me to take off the headcollar had the decency to look sheepish! :p Did tank off across the field afterwards though :rolleyes:

Oh & I have smacked/pushed horses on the shoulder/chest if I've had to deal with them & they are being bargey & haven't responded to a voice command. I wouldn't take a whip to these horse & I also know them well enough to know they aren't going to be upset by me asking for some respect.

Last edited:

foxyroxy1

Visit site
I do...

the right place and time....never a beating. Just a reminder to her that even at 16.2 I am her boss as she is only 4 and gets a bit pushy. I would also like to think that 'good trusted' friends would do the same for her....I wouldnt want her being naughty to others.

just my thoughts.....

and they arent children they're animals theres a slight difference

LaurenBay

Visit site
Yes, I have hit her before. She's very opionated and stubborn and really tried it on with me when I first got her. For an example, I went to turn her out, as soon as I opened her stable door she barged at it and almost knocked me flying! she got a slap around her chest and a loud "NO" she's never done that again. I also know my YO has hit her too, but I trust my YO judgement and if she does hit Ruby I know it's for a good reason.

Would I hit someone elses Horse? Yes, In fact I hit one of my YO Horses the other day for rearing when I was bringing her in, She's 16 and knows better! She got a slap on the belly and that was it. I told my YO and she said she would've done the same thing.

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
I don't hit mine since she knows exactly when shes done something wrong. She jumps to the back of the stable when she's done it so you can't get her. Not that ive ever tried since she is 22 and quite nervous(Arab aswell) but shouting seems to work just as well.

Sarah1

Visit site
Generally no, I don't need to.
However, he once bit me when he was much younger - it really hurt & I gave him a sharp smack just as a reflex - he's never bitten me since and he's not headshy or scared of me so I guess it worked!
FWIW, I don't think you're out or order for hitting the other horses if they were being disrespectful tho were I the owner I would expect you to tell me what you'd done. If Bailey was rude, barging and biting someone I would expect them to reprimand him immediately - actually I would be mortified if he behaved anything other than 100% for someone other than me!!!!!!!!
I don't think you can liken it to hitting a child - horses are far more dangerous than a toddler! Also THEY ARE HORSES NOT BABIES! :rolleyes:

Amaranta

Visit site
would you think it ok to smack another person's child? I don't see any difference, especially if you aren't in charge of the training or day to day care of that animal.

Sorry but there is no comparison here, a small child can not do the damage a half ton horse barging through you could do and yes, if someone else's horse was trying to run over me or my horse (usually because the owner has not taught the horse any different) then I would most certainly smack it one.

I rarely, if ever have to smack mine but then they are happy within their boundaries (set out by me) and don't usually feel the need to barge, kick or bite their leader.

Pat10

Visit site
would you think it ok to smack another person's child? I don't see any difference, especially if you aren't in charge of the training or day to day care of that animal.

Oh how I'd often love to smack another person's child - usually in the supermarket when they're running out of control and screaming all over the place. Unfortunately, I'd be arrested for it!

fburton

Visit site
I rarely, if ever have to smack mine but then they are happy within their boundaries (set out by me) and don't usually feel the need to barge, kick or bite their leader.
Are you comparing yourself to "herd leader"? How can you tell which horse is the "leader" in a herd? And is this horse protected from being kicked by virtue of "leader" status?