Do you take colour into account when choosing a stallion?

angrovestud

Visit site
We breed for coloured racing we use to stand a 75 % TB coloured now (RIP) he sired 5 or more eventers, our coloured stallions full brother being one of them out eventing, he also sired our coloured racehorse so there are some high end quality coloured stallions

bakewell

Visit site
We breed for coloured racing we use to stand a 75 % TB coloured now (RIP) he sired 5 or more eventers, our coloured stallions full brother being one of them out eventing, he also sired our coloured racehorse so there are some high end quality coloured stallions

Undoubtedly! And I think they have a special appeal for man people too.

TBH If I put her to a PRE stallion with the aim of producing a primarily dressage horse I'm going to take on board springfeather's solid with sabino pointers, although white marking is rarer in Iberian breeds. I also want to avoid a double dilute if possible with *this* breeding although I don't mind them generally. If she's carrying cream (or something else) that might limit me on stallion choices. Need to pull my finger and her tail to find out!

If I put her to a sporthorse or similar stallion to produce something a bit more scopey over a fence it's a different ball game.

Scarlett

Visit site
I bred my first, and only, foal last year. My mare was a bay roan when I got her and is now fleabitten with dark points. I really, really didn't want a chestnut or a grey however I found the perfect stallion in the perfect situation and he was chestnut. Foal is everything we hoped for except she was born bright chestnut and at 18 months is now already going grey. Not the bay colt I had hoped for but perfect in her own way!

Bedlam

Visit site
I breed for eventing and couldn't give two hoots what colour they are! Having said that I am very interested in colour genetics and am sorely tempted to get my bay mares colour tested to see what their colour genotype is - purely for interest. I honestly would say that when choosing stallions the colour is possibly just above the name of the great grand sire in determining which to choose.....