Do you take your horses out and about on your own?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
MP, I posted this morning just before heading off to arena hire....
Have now read what happened, what eejits!

That said, I had a rather tight lipped discussion once I pulled up today, I parked a few feet away from friends box as we had arranged to share the slot.
2 other boxes drove in, each parked to the side of me and my friend. The one beside friend ensured they were so close she couldn't get her side steps down! Despite being asked to move further, as there is a very large amount of space as it's a comp centre, they refused! So after a few words, I just shot off and got the YM out. She also got a gob full from them, then explained who she was, asked them to leave! Cue more rude words! But they did go, apparently they are well known to the venue, and are now banned from anything there till end of the year!
The other box on the other side of me then moved further away.....

Never used to be like this!
OMG :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Why are some people just so outrageously rude?!o_O

irishdraft

Visit site
Yes I go out on my own all the time but having had 2 accidents this year one out hunting and one in a grid work clinic which both resulted in broken bones and people reluctant to help me which was very disappointing as I've been a subscriber to the hunt for 20 years and been going to the yard the clinic was held at for about 10 years I'm not sure of the way forward. My OH is not prepared to come and I dont really know anyone who would be happy to wait whilst I do things I've always felt it's a bit cheeky .

Abi90

Visit site
I’ve always gone alone to stuff out of necessity rather than choice. I hate it, especially as Rosie used to be difficult to load alone but she’s got better and I now feel more confident going alone but I always worry that something will happen

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OMG :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Why are some people just so outrageously rude?!o_O
They were not even booked in. Apparently they turn up and wait in car park in case someone doesn't turn up, to then try and get a free slot!

To combat close parking on occasions, which does happen, I leave side ramp down, tuck headcollar and rope just inside for grabbing. Fuzzys are taught to be tacked up on the box and I don't unload unless I'm ready to get on.

still standing

Visit site
I have always gone out on my own because my friends are usually doing things at the weekends or competing elsewhere and I've no horsey family around. But I've found that people are very willing to lend a hand if just asked, and I nearly always need someone to hold my horse's head when mounting or to put up the ramp after I've loaded and it's never been a problem.
I agree though, about the close parking problem at showgrounds- really can't understand why people who know how much space a horse/ramp needs for themselves, can't see others need it too!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Following.. my aim was to take mine out and about on my own in the trailer. My only issue is the loading, having to train him to stand still while I go behind and do the rear bar, as thats the only issue I'd have I think. Guessing everyone else has managed to train it? or has more patient horses.. as hes very much "oh what?? Shes gone? Best back out and find her!"

beingachicken

Visit site
I don’t compete but always used to do lessons etc alone.
I did come a bit unstuck once a few years ago at a hunter trial when I returned to my lorry which is a side unload 3.5 ton someone had parked literally as close as you might in Tescos car park meaning my ramp was inaccessible as was my tie ring (not that that mattered overly as I couldn’t tie the horse up to move the lorry!) but I was left stood for ages with a hot sweaty had enough horse and nothing I could do about it :(
After a while I got someone’s attention and they came to my rescue!

teddypops

Visit site
I usually go on my own but occasionally I get my husband to come and take photos. When I took my newest pony out for the first time, I had to get someone who was also at the clinic to help load. I have also helped solo travellers help load their horses.

LegOn

Visit site
I think the whole world has gotten ruder in every aspect of life at the moment!!! I always hold the door open for people behind me but you cant anymore in public because you get left standing there like a bellhop holding the door open for like 5 mins because people are just rude & keep barging through!!

I'm very lucky I have a long suffering husband who comes to pretty much all my shows or schooling trips with me - mainly because if you dont have photos it didnt happen, right? :p But I'm happy to go on my own aswell, mainly because I'm happy to give people a hand when I have one or just politely ask for one if I need it.

I do remember I was first in the car park for a competition once - a low key local show but brilliant venue with a HUGE hard standing carpark, I pulled in & put down my ramp because we prefer front unloading (he can reverse unload but gets himself a bit worked up before he does it!) and another jeep & box pulled in & parked so tight to my ramp I wouldnt have keep able to walk in front of it to lift it up!!! I did ask them to move because it was just too close for comfort & they did, but literally parked the whole other end of the carpark!!! I dont understand some people!!! :rolleyes:

Velcrobum

Visit site
Have always been alone eventing and dressage. One memorable time I was parked at Purston BE when a mega swanky ginormous lorry parked to the left of my wagon where I was getting my horse ready. All good until the bloody pop-out living popped out nearly hitting me and horse. Cue some very blue language, hammering on the side of said pop-out. Owner came storming round to find pop-out over the top of my horses bum. Stopped dead in his tracks mumbled an apology when I asked "what the f*** are you thinking". He disappeared then pop-out popped back in, lorry started and relocated else where!!! I am not normally confrontational but I did totally lose it that day as we were both visible when the lorry parked. I must admit the general sense of entitlement these days is getting worse and worse.

Serianas

Visit site
Its a bit of a running joke that I need a responsible adult with me (Im 34) so my long suffering friend accompanies me. My pony is a bit of a git (not hot or dangerous just a tool)

Incidents that have happened in the past are, but not limited to:

Getting stuck in a gate because he was showing off to the resident stallion then expecting rescue while everyone but me and my instructor panicked (he panics about nothing)
Rolling on their muckheap
Bogging off back up the centre line after trotting down without breaking said trot causing me to get lost from laughing too hard
Having to be bribed out of the warm up with a sausage sandwich
Having to be bribed out of the arena with a sausage sandwich
Taking forever to load because my father was watching then sauntering on like a lamb after he had gone
Climbing a stack of conifers
Scratching his backside on the back of a very expensive lorry (they parked way too close)
Went to clinic with Geoff Billington and wouldn't let me get on, and as such he was referred to as 'knobhead' by an international showjumper all lesson
Was chatting up a mare that finally turned round and told him to get on with it and then he ran away in fear
Bonking a wheel barrow in front of a load of kids

The list goes on XD
New Forest ponies... who'd ave em?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I used to go all over the place on my own but have got less confident these days, I tend just to go to local places like clinics where there will be other people about. I do like it if I know there will be someone I know when I get there. I didn't used to be like this, I once drove with my trailer to the north of scotland to pick up a barely handled pony I'd bought, slept in the car overnight and drove back with the pony the next day. I had asked my other half at the time to come with me but the miserable sod had refused,

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Have done a couple of times now but only to places and venues that I already know. Mum doesn't like me going on my own in case something happens so she often comes with me if she can and if I can't find a friend (aka @clairekat ) to drag along with me (always appreciated Claire!).

Taliesan

Visit site
I'm sorry you encountered some people lacking in the brain department milliepops! You'd think that everyone out at a horse event would be especially considerate of everyone else there. :(

In answer to the original question, I travel on my own all the time. Sometimes my mum may come and meet me at a venue but this is usually just to watch and then help out if I need it.

Jack is a pro at travelling and chilling on the van - he doesn't get phased by any of it. Although he does have a habit of trying to untie himself and then going for a wander around the venue. He has only managed to actually get away once with me and that was because he broke the tie ring on the side of the van - I hadn't noticed how rusty and weak it had gotten so it was totally my fault. Luckily he has a good recall so when I called him back he casually span around and sauntered back to the van. This was much to the amusement and shock of everyone else in the car park as they were clearly expecting him to bog off!

I haven't taken my youngster out on the van to a venue yet but, when I do, I will most likely go on my own as I can't always guarantee anyone being there to help. I'll pick my venues carefully though and make sure I go to a quiet one where I know the people there are helpful and understanding, just in case something was to happen.

D66

Visit site
They were not even booked in. Apparently they turn up and wait in car park in case someone doesn't turn up, to then try and get a free slot!

To combat close parking on occasions, which does happen, I leave side ramp down, tuck headcollar and rope just inside for grabbing. Fuzzys are taught to be tacked up on the box and I don't unload unless I'm ready to get on.
Perhaps they thought if you couldnt get out your lorry they could have your place in the clinic.

Berpisc

Visit site
There is nothing that boils my piss more than the general public in supermarkets. Is no-one in a rush? Don't they have jobs to go to?! MOOVVVVEEEEE!
Reminds me of years ago when I was working at a dairy farm. I was putting in some long hours at the time; went to the supermarket for some bits and bobs, found myself muttering "cush then" at people.

Luckily no-one heard.

Sprat

Visit site
Reminds me of years ago when I was working at a dairy farm. I was putting in some long hours at the time; went to the supermarket for some bits and bobs, found myself muttering "cush then" at people.

Luckily no-one heard.

It would have been amusing if they had heard!

SOS

Visit site
Almost always alone whether it is a lesson to full on days eventing. Trick is be organised. Current horse isn’t great on the ground so not the easiest but I manage. I never tie to the trailer regardless of helpers or not.

I can’t rely on others for my enjoyment as id never get out I’m afraid.

Annagain

Visit site
I go everywhere alone and have done it with two horses in the past. Luckily they're both pretty well behaved if a bit noisy when I'm riding A and M's on the the trailer. The other way round is fine as A is too busy eating if he's on the trailer and M wouldn't dream of doing something as naughty as calling when I'm riding him. People are usually pretty helpful at my riding club, less so at 'business' venues.

I've also brought someone's horse home after they had a tumble and got whisked away to hospital. Luckily I could take him to my yard rather than making a detour and a friend from her yard picked him up as he lived another 1/2 hour further on but I was the closest to him with a space. I'd always help out if I could.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Me too I have rescued and been rescued over the years .
When I broke my hip jumping every just got sorted .
Everyone was wonderful.

Kat

Visit site
I go on my own fairly often but generally only for clinics, clear rounds, lessons or hunting. For competitions I can normally arrange for someone to meet me there. Hunting can be a challenge as the parking can be tight and isn't necessarily secure.

People are normally pretty helpful, I often ask someone to hold my stirrup while I get on and last time out hunting someone popped over and volunteered to hold my mare while I washed off.

My mare can't be left alone tied up, she unties herself and has wandered off in the past so I load her if I want to leave her alone. She stands happily on the box.

I get as ready as possible before unloading, and I travel with the saddle and boots on. So when I arrive I get myself ready, put everything I don't need away and then pop bridle on in the trailer. I unload, take off rug and headcollar, close the ramp and truck and hop on.

I leave my headcollar handy and pop that on first. Depending upon space/weather/distance from home I decide whether to wash off immediately or go home first. If going home I just take the saddle off, put a fleece on and load up. Bridle can be taken off on board.

It is really helpful to train your horse to walk on to the trailer without you having to go first. I walk mine up the ramp then wait at the top of the ramp to do the breach bar then I tie her up.

Long leadropes are handy too so that you can reach to do stuff while holding the horse.

daffy44

Visit site
I'm so sorry that you had a bit of a rubbish time MP.

I always go everywhere on my own, competitions, lessons etc, I am alone when I take youngsters out for their first times, when I have two or three horses, and when I was eventing, as well as now when its all dressage stuff. Honestly I cant say it bothers me, my horses are good, sometimes I have had to ask a passing person to hang on to a horse while I unload/load the other horse (when I have more then one), but generally I do it all myself. I've done it for so long this way that I'm not sure what to if I had someone with me!

Annagain

Visit site
Just remembered the time I dislocated my finger catching it in A's mane over a jump at a lesson. Someone came out of the lesson halfway through, loaded him up for me (still tacked up to save her time) and I managed to drive him home but my YO was out when I got back and he was stuck on the trailer as I needed two hands to open the ramp fastener. I had to phone my non horsey mum to come and open the ramp for me and then talk her though untacking him. Luckily she's not too far away and while not used to horses, isn't frightened of them.

oldie48

Visit site
I am always on my own but tbh as I get older I do find myself worrying more about breaking down etc. After a rather disasterous comp when I got two tests muddled up and ended up bottling the second one completely, i bit the bullet and asked on fb if there was anyone who would help me at comps and now I have a little list of people that I can ask (including MP) but I'm still travelling on my own, going to lessons etc on my own. Luckily Rose travels well and I have become pretty organised but unexpected things do happen even with older more established horses.
MP, please let me know if you are coming this way and if I am free I am happy to meet you.