Do you take your horses out and about on your own?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Its a bit of a running joke that I need a responsible adult with me (Im 34) so my long suffering friend accompanies me. My pony is a bit of a git (not hot or dangerous just a tool)

New Forest ponies... who'd ave em?

Fabulous! I have a few of these ponies. Yours sounds like a great character.

I mainly take my son to events but on the rare occasion I do something for myself I go alone. My mare is easy to do but a shouter at shows if someone else calls which drives me mad as she does it right down my ear.

Mine are taught to self load which makes things easier. I always look when parking to see where people's tie rings are and give enough room. As I have competed alone I do keep an eye out for others and offer help if they look needy!

DirectorFury

Visit site
When I was doing a lot non-horsey OH always came with me, mainly to drive (I don't have a trailer license), but also because M can be tricky. I can't trust her to stand when tied to the box and she's fine standing on the trailer 99.9% of the time but it's that 0.01% of the time that you don't want to leave her alone as she'll come out via any possible route. It's much easier to have a person with her to deescalate if needed! It's something we really need to work on and it's on my 'to do' list over the winter.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I completely admire you for going out and about on your own. I'd like to get to the point to be able to go on my own but at the moment I'd panic without a helper even though mine is always a non horsey family member, it's still an extra pair of hands.
Don't let one experience put you off though :) think of all the problem free trips out youve had.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I completely admire you for going out and about on your own. I'd like to get to the point to be able to go on my own but at the moment I'd panic without a helper even though mine is always a non horsey family member, it's still an extra pair of hands.
Don't let one experience put you off though :) think of all the problem free trips out youve had.
Thanks, I'm not put off, cos the chance of me getting anyone to tag along on my frequent trips out is non existent! It's interesting to hear other peoples experiences though and a bit of camaraderie is always a good booster :D

Foxychops

Visit site
I usually go alone to dressage, flatwork, pole clinics. If I'm jumping I try and get someone to tag along incase I fall off and need them to drive me home!!

millitiger

Visit site
I usually have a helper, even if my OH isn’t horsey, although also happy to take a lone horse out by myself to clinics or shows.

I do draw the line at eventing and always try to have someone with me then as so much easier

Boulty

Visit site
I used to the majority of the time with 1 horse & a 3.5 ton box. He was a bit awkward about standing on the box by himself when I first got him but he learnt eventually... (I think the realisation that it allowed him to stay dry when it was tipping it down helped... as did me realising he preferred not to be tied up & for me to move the partition to give him more space when left in there.)

I did have an extra tie ring put on the ramp side of the box for situations where access to the others on the other side may be awkward (mainly out hunting where there was often not a lot of parking room)... the benefit of having a pony short enough to duck under the ramp door if I had to open it with him tied there I guess (not my preferred thing to do but meant that I could if I needed to).

The only time I really came unstuck was when I went to a TREC in Scotland & got heatstroke... another competitor had to come to the rescue & drive us most of the way home as the next day I still wasn't up to the job... may have risked it in a car & just kept stopping but not in the lorry with the horse onboard!) but that was my own fault rather than anyone elses.

I did do some other entertaining things over the years like lead the pony nearly into the refreshment tent to get a cuppa post fun ride because I had nobody to hold him & I was cold (this was pre-own lorry & for complicated reasons one person was making about 3 trips to take the whole yard back & forth so lorry wasn't there to tie him to / put him on!). I also drove the poor pony from South Yorks to Leahurst & back in a hired lorry (I'd sold mine by this time) in one day on my own... did vaguely notice that just about everyone else had some kind of "moral support" with them (did have a slight issue that pony destroyed his leadrope clip on the way so had to beg to borrow one at reception & travel him back home loose)

My advice would be the be well prepared with things like your own water, spare haynet, rugs etc all being close to hand & organised so you can grab them at a moments notice & mention it to the show organiser if you anticipate you may need a bit of extra support.

I'll definitely be seeking some support & company if & when I get my new youngster out & about as I've literally no idea what he'll be like & getting stuck in a strange place with an over-excited horse is not top of my list of things to do

Last edited:

Mari

Visit site
I do everything & go everywhere on my own. If I didn’t I’d never get out with my horse. I have a 3.5 box & never tie up outside. I tack up, untack, groom, sponge down, rugs & boots on/off all done in the box. For my horse the box is his safe place away from home.

zaminda

Visit site
I do a lot of my training alone, but manage to have fab OH with me when competing.
I was struggling to get the ramp up last year having parked on a bad angle, and someone came to my rescue. I usually find people helpful, although the parking too close thing isn't unusual!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Yep. 95% of my time with the horses is on my own. It is hard work - sadly not all of us have a shadow with an extra pair of hands!

Lessons, shows, arena hires etc all done on my own. I do call on friends here and there when I can but generally feel bad that they give up their whole day for my ponies but I am eternally grateful for anyone who does and have some super reliable friends.

I’ve been going out on my own for about 5 years now. If I didn’t, I’d never go anywhere!

Sorry to hear you had a bad one, my general experience is that people are very friendly and helpful. I know if I was helping a friend out I wouldn’t hesitate to ask someone else if they needed a hand!

Velcrobum

Visit site
As I said upthread I do everything alone just organised and horse is in box when unattended. OH has come along a couple of times but cannot drive the lorry (7.5T) and is terrified of trying. Defo one up for the females there!!!!!

humblepie

Visit site
I used to go out all over on my own then got very used to other half coming with me. I started finding that a bit restrictive as felt was encroaching too much on his time so last year started going out on own again as current horse now more experienced at competing. Main problem was horse didn’t like standing in lorry on arrival which Is very difficult if on own so used to have everything in tack locker ready to hand. Horse now happily stands so much easier. Took him away to three day show recently on own. Definitely times when I look around just for someone to hold horse for a moment and generally can’t find anyone so he has to go back in lorry for five mins! Other half has this year come to Royal Windsor Hickstead and Aintree - very grateful for help at those!

milliepops

Visit site
Yes I totally agree Bernster. When they are learning about outings sometimes it's too much for them to stand patiently while they can hear but not see the other horses moving in the lorry park though. so its something that comes with practice I think. Certainly took my others a bit of time to learn that they could get on and off the lorry and mind their own beeswax while doing so 😅

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am usually on my own. OH is not really interested. I have travelled on my own in all sorts of transport, as long as I can get the ramp up. He did have to come out to help on one occasion when the horse thought he was hunting and hurled himself round the lorry until the partition came off. He managed to wedge it open while I took him off, re hung the partition and went home!

I go alone to clinics and shows, but also to go out hacking. I just pre arrange where I will be parking, phone when I get there, use an app that will alert him if I don't move, phone when I get back to the box and phone when I am setting off, having eaten my picnic.

If it is a 'new' thing, as in first show, first time outdoors etc he will always come. Also if I am particularly needy that day :rolleyes:.

In a car park I have been known to get the folding chairs out to guard enough space to open the side ramp on my current box. I don't usually tie up outside anyway, always dress/undress them in the actual box. I have the boxes designed to allow a large space for this, whilst still having the box closed with a bar/strap/door/partition.

alexomahony

Visit site
Just read what happened MP - that's a real shame and very unusual as most people are super helpful I find - especially when alone.

Sky can be tricky to mount when somewhere new but someone will always let me use their lorry ramp :)

I often travel alone and haven't had any issues (yet!) - the trick is to keep everything handy! Another helpful tip is to teach the horses to load themselves, so you can stay on the ramp whilst they walk in past you - that way you can safely do up the breech bar before tying them to the front then having to whizz round!

little_critter

Visit site
Having a hose that will stand on the lorry and loads easy does make a huge difference! Mine can be a fidget tied up outside, and to get on, but he is good when he’s in the lorry.
I was lucky when I came off 2 months ago and broke my wrist. I was alone at a clinic and everyone was fabulous. While the instructor sat with me and checked I was ok, the group of riders went after my horse who was having a fab time round the xc course. Then loaded him on my lorry to wait while my friend took her horse home then came back for mine (luckily new horse stands nicely on the lorry, previous one wouldn't have). One husband watched my horse, while another person stayed with me until a lift could be sorted for me. Venue were happy for my lorry to sit in their car park for a few days until my OH could get there to drive it home.
I think the same instructor makes sure that everyone has happily loaded and left the venue before she leaves, in case you need a hand loading.

humblepie

Visit site
Having a hose that will stand on the lorry and loads easy does make a huge difference! Mine can be a fidget tied up outside, and to get on, but he is good when he’s in the lorry.
Definitely. Mine is an ex racehorse who had run quite a bit so he was used to getting to the racecourse, unloading and into a stable. Bit of a change to stand on the lorry whilst I faff around! It made it a bit difficult at the start of the year when had to show passports and that did stress me a bit but he now realises to be patient and eat some hay.

milliepops

Visit site
Definitely. Mine is an ex racehorse who had run quite a bit so he was used to getting to the racecourse, unloading and into a stable. Bit of a change to stand on the lorry whilst I faff around! It made it a bit difficult at the start of the year when had to show passports and that did stress me a bit but he now realises to be patient and eat some hay.
Same, mine is also an ex racer so gets ants in his pants as soon as I park up the lorry at the moment. This was his 6th little outing so we are starting to see some progress and he also no longer sweats up travelling, but it will be a while before he can relax on the box.

Annagain

Visit site
Same, mine is also an ex racer so gets ants in his pants as soon as I park up the lorry at the moment. This was his 6th little outing so we are starting to see some progress and he also no longer sweats up travelling, but it will be a while before he can relax on the box.
Remind me what your horsey situation is at the moment MP? I can never quite work out which horse you're referring to! Millie is retired (has been for a while) and Kiera is off games is as far as I've worked out I think? Is this Salty or another one?

milliepops

Visit site
Remind me what your horsey situation is at the moment MP? I can never quite work out which horse you're referring to! Millie is retired (has been for a while) and Kiera is off games is as far as I've worked out I think? Is this Salty or another one?
Haha! Growing old disgracefully in the field are Millie and Twiggy (her mini me also from HAPPA).
Salty is living out with them while she cooks her foal.
Kira is off at the moment but will be coming back hopefully to start her walk exercise next week.
This is Darcy who is an ex racehorse i picked up from the trainer in the summer. Always need to have a spare! He came just at the right time.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes. Quite frequently. Never really had any issue with parking or people being unhelpful. However I am pretty self sufficient and pay attention to where I’m parking or being parked depending on the event. I tend to drop my ramps immediately and spread out as it were and never had an issue with space :)

Maybe I’ve just always pricked nice events :)

stormox

Visit site
I always go everywhere alone, right from when my horses are just starting to go out.
Have tie ups both sides of your trailer and at rear so you can tie them up the other side if someone parks too close.
Never take the headcollar completely off unless you are in the trailer. I put my bridle on before i unload my horse and put headcollar back on over it to lead out and tie up.
Leave your back ramp down when you go off to compete, so as people dont park close behind making it impossible to load.
After a while you and your horse will work out a suitable routine thats safe and easy.

milliepops

Visit site
FWIW I do have a tie ring on the ramp side and use that now and then with my established horse. But to use it safely with a green horse I need to put the ramp up, and because the neighbouring lorry had parked right across the only floodlight in the lorry park that would have meant then doing everything in the pitch black. The other side was well illuminated before they arrived :p Wrong place at wrong time but hopefully we won't cross paths again ;)

stormox

Visit site
Following.. my aim was to take mine out and about on my own in the trailer. My only issue is the loading, having to train him to stand still while I go behind and do the rear bar, as thats the only issue I'd have I think. Guessing everyone else has managed to train it? or has more patient horses.. as hes very much "oh what?? Shes gone? Best back out and find her!"
I trained mine by having a feed in a tub trug tied to haynet. Lead in and while theyr eating feed hop out the jockey door and do back bar and ramp.

Dancing lady

New User
Visit site
Over many years, I have predominantly travelled alone to clinics, lessons and competitions. I think the most important thing is to know you have help at the end of the phone if it’s necessary