Do you trim a bridle path?

Do you trim a bridle path?

• Total voters

QueenDee_

Visit site
Just curious really! How many people trim a bridle path in their horse's mane, and how many don't?

For those that do, whats your main reason for doing so?

Allykat

Visit site
I do trim just an inch. My horse has quite a thick fuzzy mane and there is no clear division between mane and forelock. I think the bridle sits better and it gives a clear definition of where the first plait should be.

Shay

Visit site
It would never occur to me not to! I accept all my horses are clipped to some degree. But if you don't trim a bridle path - especially on traditionals - getting the bridle on can be a bit of a tussle with which bit of hair is supposed to be which way under the headpiece. Why make the horse uncomfortable if you don't have to?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
God yes! The mane there gets in the way and tangled and they always manage to get that patch between their ears caked with more mud than any other part of them.

be positive

Visit site
Yes I do but not the natives unless allowed by the breed standards for showing, a pain with the really hairy ones, it makes a far neater job for anything being plaited however fine the mane you end up with some of the plait under the bridle.

Fiona

Visit site
Yes I always have a small one, but new 12.2 has a huge 2 inch bridlepath (plus another shaved bit at the bottom) which I'm going to have to try to grow out 😣

Fiona

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Nope not on any of mine. Stopped doing it years ago. My oldie is a headshaker and I read once that some horses symptoms eased when their owners stopped trimming a bridlepath and I thought it was an easy thing to try.

Never bothered since even with the Welsh hedge :D

Sparemare

Visit site
One I have to, otherwise it would be impossible to even get a head collar on, he’s got such a bush of mane. The other I don’t. In fact I’ve never even trimmed or pulled his mane, as it never grows.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
No. I used to but now find it's much nicer to let the hair grow, comb a little bit forward into forelock and the bridle goes on top of that. SO much neater.

HashRouge

Visit site
I've said no, but only because my two are retired so they're allowed to go au natural. One is currently rocking the most impressive witch's knot I've ever seen - no idea how to get it out! However with a ridden horse I would.

Laika

Visit site
Nope - mine has a pathetic mane and a lovely forelock so there's enough definition between the two without much of a faff!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't like them, but I said yes ;)

I never mean to do it, but if we are having a My Little Pony grooming day and I am faffing then it seems to get done :eek:

I never do the bottom of the mane though, take too much pride in not allowing the hair to rub. We have a lovely smooth line right until the mane finishes :)

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
No.

I have arabs and although the showing fashion is to have an extended bridlepath cut, I personally don't find it aesthetically pleasing and i don't find that their manes cause any trouble with how the bridle sits. So no bridle paths here. In fact i don't trim them at all (I would clip if required) but whiskers, fetlock hair, ear hair etc... is all left alone and the tails and manes are left long.

Visit site
No.

I have arabs and although the showing fashion is to have an extended bridlepath cut, I personally don't find it aesthetically pleasing and i don't find that their manes cause any trouble with how the bridle sits. So no bridle paths here. In fact i don't trim them at all (I would clip if required) but whiskers, fetlock hair, ear hair etc... is all left alone and the tails and manes are left long.

I've never understood the fascination for that the extended bridle paths on Arabs and miniature horses either! Looks daft to me!

I don't trim them on any of my own. My plaiteds get it parted and plaited forward. The rest are natives so I would never dream of it! We trim them on the horse's at work but sometimes I do wonder where people think bridles sit in relation to where they have chopped. ..

FDLady

Visit site
Nope i have never done any of mine, even the scruffy cob as i dont really see much point. I often cut it for clients though as requested when im clipping/tidying up and i have to admit despite being a very easy going person it is one thing that eats away at me on the inside if it hasnt been done right previously. Im all for a nice neat and tidy one but some of them that i get asked to correct are completely in the wrong place or random sizes.