Do you visit your horse on xmas day?

CobSunshine

Visit site
I'm looking forward to visiting my horse tomorrow with his xmas hay/treat.

Family stuff in the afternoon.

Anyone else planning an early morning festive visit?

Sessle

Visit site
Yahuh, early am before the rest of the family come round, to give them hugs and kisses and their Christmas treats! :D

beeswax

Visit site
It wouldnt be xmas if i couldnt give him a big hug and a kiss, hopefully a lil ride down the road, an hour in the field and then tucked up in bed with his hay. That will hopefully be my xmas day.

Paddydou

Visit site
Doesn't matter how old I get I have to wake my family nice and early just to let them know its Christmas... I am hoping that my brother will have forgotten to unplug the phone this year...

But yes its part of the ritual.
Family awake at 4am - check
Turkey and brussels covering the kitchen while Mum shoos us all out - check
Animals all fed and watered by Dad and I - check
Dad getting half cut on wine and whiskey - check
Brother finally rolls up looking half cut still - check
Phone calls to other family - check
Everyone shattered after eating too much and going for long walks and playing triv - check
Pop all the animals to bed and do final checks - check

Couldn't bear a christmas morning with out seeing my boys! Just wouldn't be right!

Dolcé

Visit site
Just another day to them so usual visits (and lugging water at the moment) for checks and feeds. We have family coming and will make visits to stables before, between and after meals and just leave guests to get on with it for a bit!

mon

Visit site
Of course but live within shouting distance of home have normal amounts of visits, 3, at
8am, 4pm and 10pm ish

Javabb94

Visit site
of course!

he needs his prezzies!

im hoping the snow will go overnight and i can ride him on xmas day although i think im wishing for too much!

we only have half an inch but its the frozen ground thats the problem

diggerbez

Visit site
haha doncella :D

yes i'll do horse tomorrow as normal- except in his tea he'll have a can of guinness! my TB is out on loan tho so will be the first xmas that i won't see him :(
i actually get quite annoyed with people who expect you to sort their horse for them on xmas day because they have parties and will be drinking so can't drive...i figure if you've chosen to have a horse then its tough, get to the stables and sort it out... but will probably get jumped on for that comment :rolleyes::eek:

Visit site
Was going to post a thread re this myself ! Not really having any family I dont do Christmas so it will be another normal day for me, the other half has gone off to the pub as usual with his mates so I am spending Christmas Eve on my own too! If I didnt have the horses I think Id go round the bend!

Sorry that sounds really whingy, must be jealous of all you lot off to parties etc.!

ArabHorseLover

Visit site
yes, although they are field kept and out 24/7 ... so there isn't such a mad dash to see to them both too early, in order to fit everything else in! my friend and i (in fact, my OH has volunteered to come and see them both 'as it is xmas' :eek::D ) will be down in the morning, to check over all the horse's in the field , give them breakfast, sort out hay, water and rugs, give my two plenty of kisses and cuddles and a quick groom - and most importantly, help them open their presents! :D I'd love to ride in the morning, but this year a lack of both time and the ice/snow has put a stop to that. I love seeing to the horse's on xmas day, it wouldn't be the same without making a huge fuss of them both.

unfortunately, i don't think i'm going to be able to see them in the afternoon - but my two other friends are doing the afternoon shift and i should be able to spend a large chunk of time with them boxing day - to make up for it.

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
Absobloodylutely, cant imagine starting Christmas Day without a ride....after he has his presents and pint of guinness :) I usually dress him up in tinsel and love watching passer's by's reactions, lots of smiles even from the grumpiest drivers! Happy Christmas everyone.

Cadfael&Coffee

Visit site
I'm so jealous of you all :-(

I love doing mine on Xmas, but I don't have a car so I'm reliant on buses :-/ means yet again noones willing to pick me up, it's too far to walk and I don't have £100+ to spend on taxis :-(

Luckily there's a few people who all muck in to sort him out, so I'm not dumping him on a particular person, tho I'd far far rather do him myself :-(

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Definitely! They have already had their present of heavyweight rugs (had to give them early due to the snow :rolleyes: ) Mine are just fed on hay so I'm going to be giving them a food bucket full of their favourite treats and vegetables. Wish me luck - I have one swede between four horses and I hate chopping them up!

Enfys

Visit site
If I don't they won't get fed!

I get paid to look after most of them.

No different from any other day as far as I am concerned.

maletto

Visit site
I'd like to but I got stuck on the ice on the way there today so doubt I'll be attempting it tomorrow after a champagne breakfast!!

Mrs B

Visit site
Oh yes! Must give him extra cuddles and apples and kiss his lovely soft nose. Soppy old moo, I am!

Plus, the field is at the top of the farm and I love to hear the Christmas silence before any cars are about and to see the smoke rising from early morning log fires in the village... magical!

only_me

Visit site
Yep, YO is feeding/haying and turning out horses in morning, and then I will see my boy in afternoon :D

Although he is turned out in a field beside my house, so will see him all day :D

skychick

Visit site
Im not......just got home from the yard now. My YO is doing all our horses for us as our xmas present. In this weather its a bit of a godsend.
Will go to her on boxing day morning.
To be honest i think it will be nice for YO to have a quiet day at home with her family after getting the stables done in the morning without having us coming and going etc.

Mistyrocks

Visit site
I'm working so have 23 odd horses to look after however, the yard is sad we lost a mare to colic last night :( and then i'm home to see and ride Breeze before seeing family and doing xmas have boxing day off from work so i will be riding breeze then too, a normal weekend for me!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Absolutely how could we celebrate without two important members of the family.
Cappy gets his stocking, Fany gets hers. They have various treats, Cappy has his ginger treats and Kendal mint cake, only a tiny bit. Fany gets sprouts and parsnips, her fav. in a bucket.

Christmas has always included a visit to the stables, how could it not?
FDC