Do you wear a body protector when out hacking?

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Interested to see whether most people do/ don't...

I normally don't, however after having a fall today and hurting my back I'm starting to think it might be a sensible idea...

Cocorules

Visit site
I do as it onjust makes me feel I have done what I can to protect myself. I break more easily these days!

chestnuttyy

Visit site
I don't unless I'm doing lots of faster work or jumping a couple of logs.. I really should though :eek: Just not in a habit of wearing it I guess.. Hope you're okay! xx

Bruised spine... and dented pride!

I think I'm going to make more of an effort to wear mine now, it could have potentially been a bit nasty

Blitzen

Visit site
I don't wear mine unless I'm doing xc. But my mum wears hers most times out hacking, if its really hot weather or her horse is in a particularly dopey mood she doesn't bother, but then spends half of the hack going "oooh I feel like I haven't got my seatbelt on!" Lol. She's a nervous rider, and I think it just makes her feel a bit better, like the grab strap on the saddle; she's never needed it but likes to know its there!

I*HM

Visit site
I generally do, especially on the road as I hack on my own.
The odd time when I'm at the yard and I take a schoolie down the fields or that I'd go without :eek:

Shantara

Visit site
I'm the same as you. I didn't until I had a fall (I did have it on that day, purely by chance!!) Now I wear it all the time. I've always worn it for jumping though.

BeachBreaker

Visit site
I do, the horse I own at the moment is still very baby out hacking, but even prior to him, on my older, much wiser horse I always wore it. I had a very bad accident when I was 15ish out in the woods when another previously owned horse went up and over, landing on top of me. I came away with a couple of broken ribs and if I had not have been wearing my body protector I don't think I would have been so lucky.

Jazzy B

Visit site
Funnily enough the last few times I have been out, his feeling very bright and very spooky and it was a bit windy on Friday so I put my BP on - glad I did - serious leaps! :rolleyes:

PingPongPony

Visit site
Always, after a very bad fall 2 years ago, had a quiet, calm and slow canter down a grass verdge that we have cantered on millions of times before, horse just put her front hoof down wrong and we had a rotational fall, she fell on top of me and rolled into a ditch. Thanks to my BP i had no bruises or broken anything but i hate to think what might have been if i didn't have my BP on. It just sort of proven to me that you don't have to be galloping about jumping things to have an accident.

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Having a fall just makes you think a bit more... it wasn't naughty behaviour we were having a good canter and he jumped sideways at something in the hedge.

I'm starting to think no matter how safe you think your horse is, they all have the potential to be unpredictable.

Parker79

Visit site
I do now....I had one of the older type...hated it! it rotted in the garage. While I pottered about on my mare I didn't worry...but once I started riding other peoples I invested in an Airowear...I use it all the time now. Doesn't interfere like the old ones did.

I also find I dont slouch as much....I used to be a nightmare for slouching towards the end of a hack (not in the school) but I have found I do not do this anymore...I think the BP helps as slouching in it is uncomfortable.

quirky

Visit site
Nope. If I thought I was going to need a BP out hacking I would give up hacking.

This ... sort of :cool:.
I used to wear a BP whilst hacking with my previous horse as he was a loon at times. Not all the time but he would have random episodes. I ended up not taking him hacking as he could've been a danger to himself, motorists and me.

My current horse is practically bomb proof on the road now, but I did wear a BP after she was first broken as she wasn't very confident and would shoot forward when worried.

katie_southwest

Visit site
I do now....I had one of the older type...hated it! it rotted in the garage. While I pottered about on my mare I didn't worry...but once I started riding other peoples I invested in an Airowear...I use it all the time now. Doesn't interfere like the old ones did.

I also find I dont slouch as much....I used to be a nightmare for slouching towards the end of a hack (not in the school) but I have found I do not do this anymore...I think the BP helps as slouching in it is uncomfortable.

I find this too, whenever I have it on it makes me sit properly :D
Should wear mine every time really, Im a terrible sloucher :)

DH1

Visit site
Yes, without fail. Occasionally my mare can spook for England, and I don't seem to bounce like I used to.
It's a bit like the Hi viz thing, the safer the better as far as I'm concerned.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I always do - I had a bad fall a few years ago which lead to me being thrown into a wooden telegraph pole - if I hadn't been wearing my bp I expect I'd have had several broken ribs.

I'll happily SJ or ride in the field without a BP but I always hack in one.

Parker79

Visit site
My hacking is pretty eventful these days....loose ponies, loose crazy pigs, countless deer, fluffy bunnies (cant forget those!), cyclists, walkers and the worst of all......shetland ponies!!! hehe

Even the most bombproof horse will pop in a nasty shy...especially when orienteering bods sneak up out of bushes with maps and sticks....truly treacherous!!:D

Never without my BP now

JingleTingle

Visit site
What, you had a friend who died out hacking? A BP will save you a few bruises, but I highly doubt that in a fall bad enough to be life threatening that it would make much difference.

How very naive and inexperienced you must be m'dear if you truly believe that. Yes I have actually lost THREE friends who where injured and died as a result of their injuries out hacking. Admittedly one of those would not have been saved even with a body protector on, the other two possibly may have survived. But then I suppose what I call going our for a hack and what you call going out for a hack may be vastly different?

In our day a hack included almost all of the elements that you might call going XC - but for some people I do realise a slow pootle around the fields and bridleways for an hour or two is their hack - even so I think they would be more than wise to take all precautions that are now available to riders.

I am bewildered why some people find this unacceptable or in some way demeaning their riding skills?? Says more about the over confident rider who feels they are invincible than the more sensible owner who weighs up their options and settles for what they feel is safe and least likely to lead to heartache for both themselves and their nearest and dearest. If by wearing a BP and hat out hacking I can avoid either my dear husband or my much loved children having to wipe my arse and spoon feed me then I will continue to do so.:rolleyes:

chestnuttyy

Visit site
I must say I'm impressed with the amount of very sensible people :). I shall be joining the BP wearing club from now on!

HappyNeds

Visit site
I always wear a bp when I'm on horseback, without fail.

My reasons:
1> I cannot control all factors whilst I'm riding. This even more so when out hacking.
2> If something serious were to happen, I won't have to torment myself with 'If only I had been wearing my bp maybe things would be different?' - this way I have peace of mind I've done my best to protect myself and my family.
3> Both myself and my husband have had falls where we've been told by the paramedic, 'good job you were in your bp'. That's good enough for me!
4> I promised my lovely caring husband that I would always wear it when riding, and so I will. I know he loves me and wants me around as uninjured as possible, and so it's worth the slight inconvience of wearing it.

Just my reasons, and why for us it's as normal as putting our riding hats and gloves on before we go out.

blackislegirl

Visit site
No, though my hacking options do not include jumping (sadly). This may sound a bit old school, but I have always been taught by BHS instructors that BPs are for fast work, basically XC, and do not aid a good position for other disciplines. I don't think I'd find a BP very comfortable for hacking anyway, though I do love the feel when I get the chance to do some XC.