Do you wear a body protector when out hacking?

JFTDWS

Visit site
When you concussed yourself with the hat on, did the hospital tell you that if you hadn't been wearing a hat you wouldn't have had the concussion injury?

No obviously not - that isn't the point! I feel you're being obtuse - having a hat won't necessarily protect you, but it might, obviously not having one won't offer any protection, but you may still avoid injury without wearing one - I don't think that's a difficult concept to grasp ;) It's not a reason not to wear a hat, I'm not remotely suggesting that - it's merely an explanation of the fact that wearing a hat is not absolute protection.

Nah, I think that's sensible - if you're going to be kicked, better with one than without! - but that's a different matter ;)

Vero

New User
Visit site
I always wear a body protector when hacking. I have a young horse, and the other day one of my friends, who is a much better rider then me, had a bad fall off her young horse, as they were attacked by a bunch of dogs! So I immediately bough mine, she didn' t buy one yet though... You never know what is around the corner. I have invested in a body protector for females, and after 5 minutes I don't even notice it anymore. I even think it looks quite stylish. And now I know that I have done everything to protect myself from spinal or internal injuries. I would not forgive myself if anything happened to me when I was not wearing it!

midi

Visit site
I'd rather take a kick with a BP, than without one.

Can't argue with that imo! rather have even a little bit of protection than nothing.

However saying that I do not own or wear a body protector mainly because in the past the one I had I never wore and found incredibly uncomfortable.
If I could afford a racesafe or something comfy then yes I'd probably wear it out hacking, if I wanted a little extra security.

Chottsy

Visit site
I always wear mine, whether I'm riding the slow "beginners" 14hh cob, or a horse that spooks and RUNS when scared. Although tbh I've been closer to falling off of the 14hh cob when he thinks deer might eat him, so spins 180 degrees and gets away from it as fast as he can.
It started cos I promised my dad, and now I think that, knowing my luck, the time I don't wear it will be the time I will need it. So I wouldn't want to risk it.
Also a couple of my falls I have landed on the pole of the jump, and it probably would have hurt at least a bit if I hadn't had my body protector on, and that was for a friends birthday, we were playing pony games.
This is just my opinion, but I don't see the point of not being as safe as you can! :D

Jackson

Visit site
I wear mine always.... I hardly notice it is there (actually, it has the added bonus of keeping me warm in the winter) it takes a couple of seconds to put on and I would much prefer to have it on when I fall!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
No obviously not - that isn't the point! I feel you're being obtuse - having a hat won't necessarily protect you, but it might, obviously not having one won't offer any protection, but you may still avoid injury without wearing one - I don't think that's a difficult concept to grasp ;) It's not a reason not to wear a hat, I'm not remotely suggesting that - it's merely an explanation of the fact that wearing a hat is not absolute protection.

Nah, I think that's sensible - if you're going to be kicked, better with one than without! - but that's a different matter ;)

I wasn't intending to be obtuse, but you originally said that you could still get concussion, or worse with a hat or wear no hat and not be injured and that you had experience of both situations. I thought that you meant that you had had an injury with a hat which was made worse by the hat, that's all!

chestnuttyy

Visit site
...sooo next question... my BP is horrible, old and uncomfortable. Which brands do you all find most comfortable to ride in?

meesha

Visit site
Strange isnt it, it wouldnt even occur to me to wear by BP out hacking or hunting but I wont go out without a hat (have had a bad fall and split hat before) I wear it for XC practice but find it is a pain in the bum - hard to get on with it on and hinders movement but it isnt one of the snazzy new ones which are more flexible.

violethillx

Visit site
I used to be made to wear mine all the time when I was younger so now don't wear one at all! Probably should though..x

DH1

Visit site
Surely it's all about managing risk. I'm not expecting a hat or a BP to save my life but I do think that wearing either/ both lessens the risk or severity of injury. By the law of averages some protection has to be better than none.
Were I to do a list of 'fors and againsts' wearing a BP, I'm not sure of what I could actually put on the 'against' list:confused:

cold_feet

Visit site
I haven't read all the posts, so this might already have been said. I think this might be a question of age. I have hit the ground with and without a BP and know it hurts less with. When young you bounce. At my age ( pushing 60) you splat. So I wear a Bp to absorb some of the shock.

Chottsy

Visit site
I have an Airowear one, one of the velcro ones. Although I have a childs XL which fits pretty perfect, even for my ridiculously long body! ha. I like it, if you leave it in a funny position somewhere cold it will be a bit uncomfortable, but all bps are like that. I suggest putting it in the airing cupboard for a little while, then putting it on when you buy it. But even when mine gets cold and weird, as soon as I've had it on for a couple of minutes, its nice and supple again, as I've warmed it up. I find the velcro ones more comfortable than the zip up front, but its choice. :D

Shantara

Visit site
Were I to do a list of 'fors and againsts' wearing a BP, I'm not sure of what I could actually put on the 'against' list:confused:

There was a rumour on my first yard about long backed BPs getting caught on the back of saddles and breaking the back of the wearer...goodness knows how true that is! Probably no truth in it at all, but since I was about 6 when I heard it, it struck fear into me which has carried on into adulthood :p

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I put on a hat, BP, point-2 air jacket, gumshield, hi-viz tabard, coat, hat band, gloves and pants, tell everyone on the yard and write down where I'm going and how long I expect to be, and tell my OH I love him just in case before I even enter a stable.

Littlelegs

Visit site
No. Only ever really wore them when rules say, & for occasional practice so it didn't feel restrictive when I had to.

starryeyed

Visit site
Depends on the horse - on my gelding, I rarely wear it hacking anymore - though I did for years.

With my mare - wear it whenever I'm on her! She's very highly strung & spooky and can leap from one side of the road to the other in the blink of an eye, won't be long until I'm on the floor so try my best to be prepared ;)

Would always wear it jumping or xc, or on funrides etc where I'll be going fast, with any horse.

Sleepeeze_dad

Visit site
knowing my luck, the time I don't wear it will be the time I will need it.

Never a truer word spoken as my wife's Sec D decided he'd go for a gallop across the school, do 2 rodeo leaps and spin in mid air. Yes I came off. No for the first time in months I didn't have my BP on.

I don't wear it much now - it is a racesafe jobby but I hate being sweatier than the horse when I get off...

Suby2

Visit site
Following a fall last year from my pony (she spooked when two dogs emerged out of some bushes) I bought an Aerowear (Velcro style). The fall wasn't that bad but I had either a cracked rib or soft tissue damage and it was extremely painful for several weeks. Being 60 plus I decided to always wear the bp because every little helps and I am now in the " I don't bounce any more" category.

pogface

Visit site
Have been reading this thread with some interest..... No I don't wear one for hacking, apart from schooling I don't do anything else, sj or xc I mean.
As a child I wore one for everything, but grew out of it and never replaced it.
At the moment I share a super safe cob, but nothing is 100% and anything can happen.
As DH says above, it is all about managing risk. I think a bp can and does make a difference, otherwise there wouldn't be the huge market for them!
Every time I get on a horse I recognise I'm taking a risk, whatever makes that risk safer is a good thing whether you chose to do it or not!
I'm taking on a loan horse at the end of this month and she is much more spooky and forward than the beauty I share now so I think I'll be looking into a bp for hacking.

Red30563

Visit site
I always wear mine (Aerowear Outlyne) when I hack out. I know it won't save me from every injury, but it does subconsciously help me stay relaxed, which has got to be a good thing. Plus it is better than any sports bra at keeping 'them' in place!! :)

igglepop

Visit site
I used to be made to wear one but one but i found that with falls i was having, the biggest problem i was being winded by the body protector. Which i felt was a greater risk than the possibility of a bad fall. As i seem to have the ability it roll out of falls (possible made of rubber) i know this is silly but i cant deal with the winded effect. If sombody can reconmend one that wont leave me gasping for air would happily wear one. Sadly tho at the moment i find it more dangerous as a little fall leaves me gasping for air unable to get up.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Interesting thread. I never used to but since owning the wrong horse and giving up in the past I do now.

Had the new guy 7 weeks he is a poppet but always wear bp just in case as the time I don't I will wish I had. Like others have said I am at the age where every little helps.

Chottsy

Visit site
See I have fallen off more times than I can remember over the last like 6 years whilst I have had my body protector, at work we would get put on the naughty ones in the riding school, my boss used to say "you're paid to fall off", although i seem to only fall off the beginners ones. HA. I have never been winded and I must be up to 20-30 falls now.