Does any1 own Thoroughbreds for just hacking? without competing?

little_mistress13

Visit site
I have always loved the look of the breed and when I get better at riding that is the breed I want. Not for competing or anything just owning and hacking out.

Anyway this guy I know who used to be a professional jumps jockey who is going to teach me to ride better, keeps trying to put me off the breed. Saying I need a nice cob (but I am not a cobby person) He keeps saying TB's even when not trained to race it's in their blood the race. He keeps saying they are high maintenance horses and not to get one. I was planning on taking him with me when I do buy my first horse but looks as though I can't if I want a TB!

He does make a point. I know he is right but surly people own TB's that don't compete and get on fine? Do you think it is because he is an ex jockey? so to him TB's are for racing only???

little_mistress13

Visit site
I have been looking at cobby type horses online and nothing seems nice. I know that might seem horrible to say but it's like giving a motorbike loving guy a 50cc scooter and saying use this as you don't plan on racing. It just isn't the same when it's not what you like.

I like the look of Quarter Horses, Thoroughbreds... but these are all race horses. Any breeds look similar that are not as "speedy".

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had my TB for three years we have been to two competitions he loves hacking it would be his dream job .
But they do tend to be high maintenance and they are reactive and have the muscles for quick reactions so they are not for everyone .

khalswitz

Visit site
I have had my TB for three years we have been to two competitions he loves hacking it would be his dream job .
But they do tend to be high maintenance and they are reactive and have the muscles for quick reactions so they are not for everyone .

This. Mine is a fabulous hack and would be happy hacking out forever. However he CAN be sharp (despite being bombproof in traffic a bad day means horse eating rocks!) and can be very reactive, and when he does he is very athletic so his reactions seem bigger.

He is very high maintainance in that he needs rugging and feeding through winter or drops serious condition, is thin skinned so suffers from cuts and bruises and fly bites, and due to galloping around the field can be prone to pulling off shoes. He can also be very stressy if not happy, so for example in a herd he doesn't like or if he is boxes he can become difficult to handle or start weaving/box walking.

I love my tbs and they are so fun to ride, but they have a lot of blood and CAN be tricky. A decent tbx could be a fab compromise though if you want more than a cob but not a full tb. They cross VERY well with native types, esp (IMO) Connie's and highlands.

Lolo

Visit site
We advertised our ex-racer TB for loan recently as a happy hack with low level competition. His ideal life would be going on lovely long chilled out hacks with someone he likes, with the occasional XC thrown in for fun. He is such a good hack, never strong and although he can be a bit of a tit he's very sensible- he knows where to draw the line, and never does more than his rider can cope with.

But equally, he was strong and sharp when Al first got him, so a lot of hard work went into making him a lovely hack.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I've known some very quiet, normally steady TB's, but even with them you can't be a passenger, you have to RIDE. That may sound obvious but there was always that small chance out hacking that they would see a crisp packet on the verge and whip round before you can blink. Their reactions if spooked are FAST. Some can also get on their toes a bit when you get to a bridleway where you have cantered in the past. I had to put a lot of effort into not always cantering in the same place.

You can get fine built horses that are suitable for first time owners and yes, the right TB will suit, but you have to find that one and that is the really tricky bit.

I need a reliable horse due to past injuries, I've had wonderful rides on a friend's welsh D who was super fun, but really safe. My main horse is an anglo arab (50% TB and 50% arab) and any decent, average rider will have no trouble with her, but again you can't be a passenger. My quietest horse is my grey arab, she's still young (6) but I've been able to put total novices on her as she's really sensible. My other arab probably won't be a novice ride as he's much hotter.

Being a good hack that can cope with all the things that you meet out and about (burnt out cars, fly tipping, loose sheep, steam engines, speeding traffic that's too close, screaming children etc... all things that I have met) is a skill that can be underrated IMO. A horse that can do that job well and looks after their rider is to be treasured and can come with the pricetag to match.

You would expect that a TB would have more injuries over it's life than a cob, but of course there are always exceptions.

I agree that many native X Tb's are nice horses. Quarter horses have a good reputation, but there aren't a huge amount in the UK.

pinklilly

Visit site
I have an ex irish point to pointer that's the most laid back horse ever and has absolutely no attitude what's so ever and a flat bred that's a total diva, sharp, argumentative and unpredictable. He also tests the rider!

In general I've worked with point to pointers and hunt horses ( some ex p2p'ers ) and they've mostly been good to hack and good in traffic. There's plenty out there of different temperaments, sme which may be suitable and some will not.

Tnavas

Visit site
I had many of them in my riding school in New Zealand and they are no problem at all. The majority of riders in New Zealand will have ridden/owned a TB for general riding, teenagers included.

Like ALL horses some are good doers, some not, some are hot, some are not.

When you go to chose one to buy make sure that you are happy with it. I suggest you DO NOT get one straight off the track and don't buy one that is thin and quiet, as sometimes once fattened up they don't remain quiet.

Just like when you go to buy ANY horse or pony, it must suit your level of riding and be kind and sensible so that you can gain your confidence, have fun and enjoy horse ownership.

This was my darling - he was with me for 14 years, taught people to ride, we showed, evented, did Endurance, games and dressage and hacked out most days. The pic is of one of my pupils at the SI dressage champs many years ago.

TnavasatDressageChamps.jpg

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Sure you can get TB's laid back and happy enough to just hack - you just have to be choosy when looking! My husband has a nice natured 17.2 TB that has raced. My husband is slightly autistic and though he is good rider he is often away with the fairies - but Frenchy looks after him

pippixox

Visit site
they all vary- you can get sharp cobs!
i have an ex-racer- he was in training and raced flat until he was 7- winning his last 4 races. he was my first horse (after 5 years of riding lessons though!). he is a star- who i used to school and do a few shows but now he is just a happy hacker and he has always had a brilliant reputation for just that. i have had him 8 years now. my dad can ride him, nervous and inexperienced riders have ridden him on a common, he has had a 5yo girl on lead reign, i can lead anything off him. he has horses planted behind him when needed! he can do a brilliant gallop and be responsive when asked, but is best at just pottering!
yes TBs are bred to be fit and responsive- but lots have quite steady temperaments and are just forward. some are actually quite stocky and hardy as well. although yes some are quite thin skinned and poor doers.

every horse is individual and i think plenty of TBs make good hackers

WindyStacks

Visit site
Tbh I think your friend is laying it on thick in a nice way to suggest your first horse be more suited to your current ability.

neweventer

Visit site
I've had a number of TB's, Some have been your "typical" Tb types, hot and alittle unpredictable whilst out hacking, but I have had two that were very quiet hacks. My chestnut mare was sold as a novice ride when I bought her. For a chestnut mare she was quite easy to ride but she certainly wasn't a novice! What they meant was she was bomb proof and never did anything silly! More people fell off her then any other horse of mine (and I only tend to let good riders on). They fell off as she was so sharp and did exactly what was asked the second they asked and the rider just didn't expect it.

I in my experience find quite Tbs few and far between. They do exsist, but most are at the best sharp

Without sounding horrible, is there a reason your instructor is advising you to buy a different type of horse? Maybe you should ask him why he thinks you shouldn't get a tb?

mairiwick

Visit site
My tb is mostly for hacking/fun rides etc. Hopefully we will get to winter and start to pop out and about for local dressage and sj stuff but only very low level! She's great, she can be spooky but she's not at all difficult to handle. I even had a friend ride her to get back some lost confidence from an accident on her own horse.
My first horse was a 6 year old gyspy cob type
He was beautiful but he taught me how to sit to overdramatic spooks!!! He was the horse that I fell off because of a crisp packet haha :)

swampdonkey

Visit site
I have an ISH and although she certainly looks the part, quite fine, leggy and beautiful she in temperament is more like a cob!! Maybe something like this might suit you better for your first horse.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
LM13 - this is a genuine question (I don't know you, so please don't be insulted, it's not meant that way at all) - have you ever ridden a TB?

Liz H

Visit site
We have 2 TBs and are happy hackers. They are not however a novice ride and as already said you cannot be a passenger. They can be bombproof one day and the next try to flee from a dangerous looking butterfly....
They are high maintainance and again as said react to the fullest extent to knocks that a native wouldn't even notice.
I previously had a TBxID who was a super horse, she still had the looks and spirit of a TB but would settle easier and a little more robust to injury
Good luck on whatever you choose.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
OP are you perhaps being stereotypical about types of horses? What I mean is, have you ever ridden a well trained cob? They don't have to be heavy in the hand and slow to respond to the leg, that is the result of poor training.

I also don't see why you want a TB just for hacking really. You could have a TB for hacking but you don't need one. Most people have them for their athletic ability. They are high maintenance horses and you can get a TB cross which would be finer built than a cob but without so many of the disadvantages of a pure TB. TBs seem to rule their owners lives, whereas low maintenance horses seem to be far more able to fit in around their owners lives without getting stressed out, having health problems or injuries as a result.

If its looks you're concerned about, I would try to look beyond the hair. Scruffy horses which look like overgrown ponies can be smartened up with trimmed heels, beard, ears, a pulled mane and the tail cut to a reasonable length. Put a bridle on that isn't too fine and suits a chunkier head and you instantly have a smarter horse.

Moomin1

Visit site
I learnt to ride on quite a few different ex racers when I was a kid. They were all real dope on rope types.

Personally, I wouldn't want one though, so many out there (I'm not saying all of them by any means) have terrible conformation, feet and don't do well with injury.

khalswitz

Visit site
TBs seem to rule their owners lives, whereas low maintenance horses seem to be far more able to fit in around their owners lives without getting stressed out, having health problems or injuries as a result.

Absolutely this. You can get lovely, very quiet TBs (although there are fewer of those sorts about) especially older ones who have had more training. But it is the management side that is more tricky - bumps and knocks, feet (mine has very good feet, but he needs shoeing every four weeks!!), and the straightness of the hocks tends to lead to hock problems too. Plus the number of injuries OTTBs can have is a factor.

For a first horse, something a little lower maintenance could be a good idea. Also, have you considered a Connie?? More like riding a TB, but easier to manage!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Retired polo pony would fit the bill nicely. Normally easy to handle, good in traffic, forward going enough to be enjoyable ride. There is a dedicated group that re-homes them.

ellie11987

Visit site
I have a TB that is mainly for hacking and schooling. She is absolutely bombproof out hacking and I find that with a lot of other ex racers, she's also perfect to gallop and easy to stop out on a field. She also has the potential to compete if money and time circumstances change for me.

However, as a first horse I would not say the stereotypical features are suitable. They are incredibly high maintenance, mine went for a year barefoot but it now shod in front every 4-5 weeks and requires a special diet high in minerals to help improve her feet which is very expensive. She also costs a lot in hard feed and haylage and needs to be rugged up to the eyeballs in winter. She is incredibly clumsy and has had months off for stupid things and spend £100's in vets bills. She can also be sharp when she wants to be and can overreact to things.

For a first horse, if you want an easier life, get a cob!

little_mistress13

Visit site
LM13 - this is a genuine question (I don't know you, so please don't be insulted, it's not meant that way at all) - have you ever ridden a TB?

Only twice. At a riding school and a friends. I am not talking about getting one now. When I am more confident but my instructor seems well against it. He says they are race horses in blood but I am thinking hes so against them as hes an ex jockey? so to him that is all their purpose is?

Equi

Visit site
I did. It was a disaster that ruined my confidence in riding (i was very bold before it, used to be out for hours over all sorts of terrain and have huge fun galloping across the fields. got to the point i was walking around my yard once and getting off and lunging instead) it was my fourth horse and i had a thoroughbred before, but it was older by about 10 years and had never raced or been on a race yard. the one i had bought was raced but never won and kept on a yard for most his life, so was a nightmare in a hacking yard.

It was not for me. I would not ride a tb again to be honest.

I will say though, if you are insistent in buying a tb, never buy it in winter. They can be very low in winter without the grass and can seem perfect (this is how i ended up with mine) in summer the grass goes to their heads and they are full of themselves. This is true for most horses i find, but one you can control and feel confident on in the spring is the horse for you lol

Last edited:

_HP_

Visit site
My tb only ever hacked with us as does my cob. Both were kept the same way...out all year round with ad lib hay, a token feed and unshod, ridden as and when.
My cob is much more flighty than the tb ever was ...it was just their personalities. Benji was a dope...Jack is an Arab in cobs clothing :)

I would suggest trying horses of all shapes and sizes when you are looking...you'll Either click with something or you won't regardless of breed but I would certainly not right off a tb...preferably something older a as first horse.
I work in a riding school for the disabled and we have an older ex racer there...he's very quiet and chilled.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I have had my tb 8 years and we just hack. Yard doesn't have a school and I have no transport. Mine loves it. He is totally traffic proof. No bother with buses, lorry's, cars, motorbike. It's the scary horse eating rocks, different shades of grass, scary flower etc that I have to worry about so in that way they are quite unpredictable as they spook at things you don't expect them to! Mine has the loveliest temperament and is generally a chilled horse
. Once he is stressed it is difficult to calm him down though. Mine lives out 24/7 all year round and with correct feeding is easy to keep weight on (is actually looking quite porky at the minute). However they are very accident prone and their spindly legs and bodies mean they can damage themselves a bit easier! These last few months he has been a walking vet bill....

Aeolian

Visit site
Like you I love TBs, not just their looks, but their responsiveness, aliveness and the spring and athletic feel a good one gives you. There's nothing quite like it. I've owned and ridden virtually nothing but TBs for over 25 years, all horses both in and out of racing.

There is a lot of sound and sensible advice on this thread, and you certainly should not own one unless you are good and ready, and have experienced help on hand. Riding school horses will most probably not prepare you for taking on most TBs, and they can be very high maintenance. Anyone who has been around TBs will have sad stories about ex-racehorses bought by well-meaning but inexperienced people at the sales for a few hundred quid because they looked pretty and were cheap. A recipe for grief, with the horses generally coming off worst.

So let's be positive: there is no reason why in time you shouldn't enjoy TBs. I think you need to get your riding up to a level where you are properly competent, and more importantly, confident, at all paces. For instance you need to be able to get right off the horse's back in canter and gallop, bridge your reins, know how to use your hands and weight to steady a horse, in short ride more like racing people, because most TBs on the market are ex-racers, and you need if necessary to ride them they way they are used to. You also need to develop enough cool to sit still and quiet as your horse jogs, spooks, whips round, performs aerobatics and tries to take off with you. Your ex-jockey mentor can help you with the riding, and you should pump him or her for as much info on TBs and how to care for them.

I would hope that when they realise you're seriously interested and a good enough rider, they would help you get on a quieter TB, and then sharper horses as you progress and gain confidence. The ultimate would be to ride out for a racing yard, but you do need to be thoroughly competent before putting yourself up for that, and it takes time. Don't think of owning one, though, until you've had experience of a few, and have got a good idea of what's involved in managing them. Oh, and have lots of spare cash handy. And if all you want to do is hack, what's the problem with that? For me most of the satisfaction of horsemanship is having happy, healthy, fit horses that know their job and do it gladly. Winning rosettes or races is an added bonus, not the main reason.

Very best of luck, I hope you get as much joy out of the Thoroughbred horse as I have.

PS: 'Aeolian' was the name of our best point-to-pointer, whom my daughter learned to ride TBs on, and one of the most lovable horses ever. Also a complete monkey and an iron-mouthed hooligan when he felt like it.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Your friend is absolutely correct.
Most thoroughbreds are more delicate than normal horses and as a result cost very much more to keep.
The other issue is that to keep them sane they require regular regular daily exercise which means at least three hours hacking per day every day to keep them nice and sane.
Unless you have the ability, time and finances then don't do it as you are likely to loose your confidence fairly rapidly.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I think its important to consider where you'll keep the horse too. Having your own land means you can set things up how you want them to cater for your individual horses needs, but most people are at livery. Lots of livery yards restrict turnout particularly in winter and most have barbed wire fencing and constantly changing herd members as people leave/new liveries arrive. These things would make it harder to manage a hot headed horse to keep it sane and sound. I know I can't be bothered. I would rather choose my livery yard based on riding facilities, adequate car parking, friendly people and proximity to home rather than be restricted in choice by whether or not my horse would survive in the field or turn into a looney for part of the year.