Does anyone ever feel they are getting worse at riding?

maggiestar

Visit site
You know how sometimes you feel as if you're taking one step forward and two steps back? That!
I was kicking myself today - I had thought my canter transitions were improving (even, dare I say it, sorted) but today's lesson was terrible. The trot was bouncy, my legs were all over the place, I was leaning forward etc... Sigh. I really feel as if I should have passed this stage by now as I've been riding on and off for years. At the moment I can only ride once a week at a riding school but hope to go up to twice a week soon. Just feel a bit downhearted as I'd made a real effort to concentrate on my position and get the horse listening but it all fell apart. Does anyone else get days like this?

Echo24

Visit site
Absolutely. I was loaning a welsh pony who I hacked out on my own, cantered on hacks and jumped on. So when I took on a new share I thought my riding was reasonable. How wrong was I! Said horse tanked off with me on several occasions and really played me up, despite the fact I used to be a confident and assertive rider with my last pony.

I think we all get days when we feel we're making great progress and then have a rubbish lesson. I think it helps to have a change of direction, maybe go out for a hack next time? Then come back to it hopefully with a fresh mind.

maggiestar

Visit site
Absolutely. I was loaning a welsh pony who I hacked out on my own, cantered on hacks and jumped on. So when I took on a new share I thought my riding was reasonable. How wrong was I! Said horse tanked off with me on several occasions and really played me up, despite the fact I used to be a confident and assertive rider with my last pony.

I think we all get days when we feel we're making great progress and then have a rubbish lesson. I think it helps to have a change of direction, maybe go out for a hack next time? Then come back to it hopefully with a fresh mind.

It sounds like you're a great rider, charcoalfeathers. It must be hard making that transition to a new horse and to go out of your comfort zone but well done you for doing it! :)
I like your hacking idea, it would help to have a change of scenery but sadly my school doesn't have anywhere to hack so we're confined to the school. Hopefully when I increase me riding lessons it'll get easier!

Dumbo

Visit site
I feel like a rubbish rider on my horse! We hack mostly and I'm constantly trying to keep him on the verge, keep him off the other horse's back side etc.. I love riding him but I never really focus on my self.
I rode my friend's mare the other day and she was so responsive I felt like a fab rider!
Hopefully going to have some lessons on my boy this summer though :)

TrasaM

Visit site
No, you're not alone. Generally overall I know that I am improving; gradually :eek: however I've had lessons where nothing has rhymed. Hands wrong legs wrong aaaagggghhhh . Then there are days when it all goes really well and I start to think I've cracked it but next lesson I'll be back to same old me:(
I guess the progression path is not a straight line but in my case it probably resembles a cardiac readout from someone with arrhythmia. :eek:

maggiestar

Visit site
I feel like a rubbish rider on my horse! We hack mostly and I'm constantly trying to keep him on the verge, keep him off the other horse's back side etc.. I love riding him but I never really focus on my self.
I rode my friend's mare the other day and she was so responsive I felt like a fab rider!
Hopefully going to have some lessons on my boy this summer though :)
Hee hee, I think that's the secret :) Always ride the most responsive, cooperative horses - they always make us look good!

maggiestar

Visit site
No, you're not alone. Generally overall I know that I am improving; gradually :eek: however I've had lessons where nothing has rhymed. Hands wrong legs wrong aaaagggghhhh . Then there are days when it all goes really well and I start to think I've cracked it but next lesson I'll be back to same old me:(
I guess the progression path is not a straight line but in my case it probably resembles a cardiac readout from someone with arrhythmia. :eek:

Ha ha, you've got that right! It's definitely not a straight line. The weird thing is, my mind knows what to do but my body has other ideas...

Echo24

Visit site
The weird thing is, my mind knows what to do but my body has other ideas...

I think everyone does this - the countless times I've turned left with my instructor shouting at me to turn right!

I like your hacking idea, it would help to have a change of scenery but sadly my school doesn't have anywhere to hack so we're confined to the school. Hopefully when I increase me riding lessons it'll get easier!

Do you have a private lesson once a week? When I used to ride at a riding school, I would have one private lesson during the week and join a group lesson at the weekend. It gave me a chance to focus on what I needed to do, but during the group lesson could put that into practice without the pressure of having to get it perfect, while also learning to ride around other horses as well. It was also an eye opener to see how other people ride and pick up some hints and tips from other riders too :)

MissTyc

Visit site
Constantly.
Used to have a "perfect" position over fences, all balanced and comfy looking. Looking at my photos from yesterday I wonder what the hell happened. I look like I've never jumped before, let alone regularly for the last 30 years!

maggiestar

Visit site
I think everyone does this - the countless times I've turned left with my instructor shouting at me to turn right!

Do you have a private lesson once a week? When I used to ride at a riding school, I would have one private lesson during the week and join a group lesson at the weekend. It gave me a chance to focus on what I needed to do, but during the group lesson could put that into practice without the pressure of having to get it perfect, while also learning to ride around other horses as well. It was also an eye opener to see how other people ride and pick up some hints and tips from other riders too :)

I used to have a private lesson on top of the weekly group lesson but then life got in the way and I had to drop it. As soon as summer is over I'll have more time so will definitely pick it up again because, as you say, it's ever so useful to have that one to one attention. :)

maggiestar

Visit site
Constantly.
Used to have a "perfect" position over fences, all balanced and comfy looking. Looking at my photos from yesterday I wonder what the hell happened. I look like I've never jumped before, let alone regularly for the last 30 years!

It's so frustrating isn't it, lol! I guess we all have bad days and the trick is to keep smiling. Horse riding does bring out the perfectionist in me though! :))

sl114

Visit site
You know how sometimes you feel as if you're taking one step forward and two steps back? That!
I was kicking myself today - I had thought my canter transitions were improving (even, dare I say it, sorted) but today's lesson was terrible. The trot was bouncy, my legs were all over the place, I was leaning forward etc... Sigh. I really feel as if I should have passed this stage by now as I've been riding on and off for years. At the moment I can only ride once a week at a riding school but hope to go up to twice a week soon. Just feel a bit downhearted as I'd made a real effort to concentrate on my position and get the horse listening but it all fell apart. Does anyone else get days like this?

Are you posting on my behalf? :)

I had the exact same day on Saturday morning. I was riding a school horse and had a great start to a jumping lesson, however half way through things started to go wrong. Horse kept breaking canter, was difficult to make a transition from trot to canter and then used the other two horses in the school as an excuse to do something other than what i wanted him to.

What did i learn...that there is always room for improvement and it did make me step back and focus on riding the boy on a flat lesson rather than using another horse for flat work. I need to re learn how to deal with a very intelligent old school horse, who knows every trick in the book to do as little work as possible. My challenge, how to keep him going, focus on my position and DONT GET FRUSTRATED, because this tenses me up and then i put the tension on the horse, which tightens him up, causing his to be uncomfortable and then doesnt react properly.

I am also going for a hack on Saturday, which should clear my head. I like the horses have been looking forward to getting out into the fields and into the fresh air.

Keep going and as always, look at where you may have been going wrong and improve.

Pippity

Visit site
I used to have a private lesson on top of the weekly group lesson but then life got in the way and I had to drop it. As soon as summer is over I'll have more time so will definitely pick it up again because, as you say, it's ever so useful to have that one to one attention. :)

I have to admit, I've always found group lessons pretty useless. Before I got other horses to ride, I'd occasionally have one on top of my private lesson, just to have more 'horse time' but I never really gained anything. I get far more from a half-hour private lesson than an hour-long group one.

As an added bonus, the group lessons made me feel as though my riding was going backwards, because I was comparing myself to the other people, rather than myself.

PleaseVenus

Visit site
Yes :( I finally felt like I was getting better and now I feel like I've gone backwards. It feels like I fall off way too much, just at the slightest spook yet when I was little I got called glue seat lol.

sl114

Visit site
Yes :( I finally felt like I was getting better and now I feel like I've gone backwards. It feels like I fall off way too much, just at the slightest spook yet when I was little I got called glue seat lol.

Backwards like this?

rpessoa.jpg
:D

cobalobM

Visit site
i've recently changed yards and the other day I was in the school, thinking I was doing okay until a girl who looked a bit younger than me came in on her big grey sport horse type working in a perfect outline and had perfect position and doing lateral work all over the place, made me feel a bit rubbish!!!!

Jasmine86

Visit site
I've "apparently" got much better over the past year according to various instructors, competition results and other liveries. Been working on my position both on the flat and over fences, learning to jump proper courses, hold my horse together more etc. well cue lots of falling off!

When my position was awful I never came off - well once in 4 years! i was once told by a very bhs instructor - my dear you never learnt to ride, you learnt to stay on. I'm not too sure what it is you're doing with your body and god only knows how but it seems effective but it's as subtle and refined as a brick. My reply - thank you :)

Now in riding better and my confidence is better ive fallen off 4x this year but 2 of them involved 5 weeks out the saddle.

Ok so previously I didn't like jumping fillers, uprights, spreads etc. and now I will do courses of 90-1.05 but I used to ride a dirty stopper who never got me off but now if they stop I fly!

Hallage74

New User
Visit site
I've "apparently" got much better over the past year according to various instructors, competition results and other liveries. Been working on my position both on the flat and over fences, learning to jump proper courses, hold my horse together more etc. well cue lots of falling off!

When my position was awful I never came off - well once in 4 years! i was once told by a very bhs instructor - my dear you never learnt to ride, you learnt to stay on. I'm not too sure what it is you're doing with your body and god only knows how but it seems effective but it's as subtle and refined as a brick. My reply - thank you :)

Now in riding better and my confidence is better ive fallen off 4x this year but 2 of them involved 5 weeks out the saddle.

Ok so previously I didn't like jumping fillers, uprights, spreads etc. and now I will do courses of 90-1.05 but I used to ride a dirty stopper who never got me off but now if they stop I fly!

Had a very similar experience - I was quite proud of my ability to stay on !!!

TrasaM

Visit site
Yesterday RI decided it was time I did some jumping as we've not done any for ages. Last time we tried I didn't have my jumping head on and whilst very funny was pretty awful. I mean I do know by now that I shouldn't be sitting bolt upright going over the jump whilst giggling like an idiot :eek: :p
Anyhow yesterday went really well; bum back allowed with hands and bum straight back in the saddle on landing. yeeehhhhey :D and survived a humungous buck from mr horse... Now if only I can guarantee that I can do same next time...uuuummm.. This riding business is complicated.

Penumbra

Visit site
Hi, I often feel the way you do. I'm a uni student, and I've been riding on and off for years, but at the moment I just don't have the time to ride a lot except in the summer. This winter I've managed about a ride a week to keep me ticking over, and when I ride more in the Summer, by the end of it I am a much better rider- stronger in my legs and more assertive and just generally more confident, so I think the only solution is to ride as much as possible, and over time, you will get an improvement (although I agree it is not linear, and I was a better jumper as a young teenager than I am now).

I do think once a week group lessons are probably not enough to improve quickly as by the end of the week, you have forgotten lots of things you learnt last time.

However, in group lessons, you do get the benifit of watching others ride- you can see their mistakes and what works for them, and try and avoid them yourself. If I am struggling with an exercise, it really helps me to see someone else do it successfully!

When you have more time, perhaps treat yourself to a half hour lunge lesson, as this will help you focus on what you're doing wrong, not the horse, and is an excellent way to improve your possition.

Rhubarb

Visit site
I restarted lesson this January after a 22 yr break. I've been having half hour weekly lessons and can totally identify with the OP. One week its my hands, then the next legs, then seat, back to hands!! Today it was my canter.. I just couldnt sit as deep as I had the previous week. RI kept telling me to relax my thighs which is jolly hard when you are concentrating on a 20m circle and tryimg to keep your hands quieter. Finally got it by the end of the lesson. On the other hand I got the horse in a lovely outline and did some great trotting...something I couldnt do 4 months ago!

I recently did a week long intensive course with a dressage trainer. I had two lessons per day including plenty of lunging. I found it really useful and felt i had made real progress. Unfortuanately I didnt get to ride for two weeks after the course and felt I'd gone backwards.. But not as far as before the course!! More a case of three steps forward and one back!!

Toffee44

Visit site
Not alone

Will hack anything but seem to have lost the ability to school.

I really need lessons but have no school and no transport to take me.& every one here is £40+

She had been working so well in an outline in walk and trot and then few days ok as if I had never worked her will ride again Monday hoping it was the wind etc.

Three years in I don't know why I bother. In bad horsey place atm I think. Happily could sell everything!

wotnot

New User
Visit site
I have only been having lessons since August, but used to ride occasionally as a kid and spent summers as a teenager out hacking - but had never had lessons. I just used to get on and go, but I find the riding school horses so difficult to get anything out of.

I ride my friends ex-racer when i visit her, (she has retrained him incredibly well) and just have to touch him and he is listening and reacting and whatever i ask for from my theory he just does and he goes in a straight line / diagonal in whichever direction i ask. I ride a couple of other non-riding school horses and struggle to get them to stay in a straight line, but easy to transition.
The riding school horses i just struggle to ride as im not confident using a whip and they simply dont respond to the leg.

Riding school tomorrow, so i shall probably feel useless again after that!

maggiestar

Visit site
I have only been having lessons since August, but used to ride occasionally as a kid and spent summers as a teenager out hacking - but had never had lessons. I just used to get on and go, but I find the riding school horses so difficult to get anything out of.

I ride my friends ex-racer when i visit her, (she has retrained him incredibly well) and just have to touch him and he is listening and reacting and whatever i ask for from my theory he just does and he goes in a straight line / diagonal in whichever direction i ask. I ride a couple of other non-riding school horses and struggle to get them to stay in a straight line, but easy to transition.
The riding school horses i just struggle to ride as im not confident using a whip and they simply dont respond to the leg.

Riding school tomorrow, so i shall probably feel useless again after that!

I know exactly what you mean about some riding school horses not responding to the leg! My RI said the best thing to do is 'ask once, then if no response, then tell!' A quick tap is much better than constant nagging with the legs. If you're wary of tapping the horse, try lightly tapping your own thigh - the sudden movement sometimes gives the horse a bit more impetus :)