Does anyone have a sound horse?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have 2 ‘ridden’ horses a cob who has been sound for the last 10 years but has developed bilateral spavins which seem to not be responding well to treatment and my 6 year old who ‘isn’t quite right’ on a hind .. vet involved and being worked up next week ( he’s not bad - jumped a five bar gate out of the field yesterday cos he wanted to be in with the mare who was in season - he’s a gelding btw) but does anyone get a horse that is just sound any more... #havingabadday

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Ooh, ooh me ! I have a sound horse at the moment but due to injury, I'm lame and on box rest. One day, we'll both be sound and uninjured at the same time.

Wheels

Visit site
I have 3 sound ponies and one horse who is unsound on all 4 legs - taken one for each of the team!!

BMWKIPP

Visit site
My 28yo and my 11yo are both sound. 28yonis just a field companion now though and 11yocoming back into work after having a Cycst removed

Peter7917

Visit site
I think many, many horses are not 100% sound. Sound in the sense that they can do the job they are asked to do by us normal pleasure riders but if they were put into proper hard work then something would be wrong.

My horse is a prime example, he is sound to hack, sound to school, sound over fences as a general rule but I only compete him up to about 2ft6. In his previous home, a proper competition home, he was worked much harder and jumped much higher and was forever on and off lame. I've had him two years now and not an unsound day.

windand rain

Visit site
Ditto three!

Given how many in-work horses fail vettings, and the fact that most people don’t routinely do vet checks, I suspect many horses have moments of not being 100%.
This is my thought too nothing ever seems to be 100% when buying or selling so one asumes the same to be true in the general population

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ditto three!

Given how many in-work horses fail vettings, and the fact that most people don’t routinely do vet checks, I suspect many horses have moments of not being 100%.
I totally agree, I have one that I know is wonky at the moment but I am pretty confident that he will come right with correct work and physio, I'm not getting vet involved at this stage because nothing is ringing any alarm bells, it seems to just be footsore & tightness and has already improved in the space of a week. It's a judgement call at the moment.

At the other end of the scale I have one that i'm so paranoid about we have decided to have a pre-emptive veterinary review every 6 months just in case any little niggles crop up that could be nipped in the bud.
It's only something I have decided to go for because my previous competition horse had so much time off for injury, I tend to obsess over every little thing and I need a sense check from someone independent! That gives me the confidence to crack on. But she's performing way above what was expected given her type so I feel like I owe it to be extra vigilant.

skint1

Visit site
My TB mare, unridden companion, sound as a bell. My riding horse isn't actively lame but isn't sound so is more or less retired, horse I put an offer on has to be re-vetted as slight lameness shown at stage 3 of vetting so we agreed to stop, get physio advice and resume vetting (if appropriate) in a couple of weeks, will it, I don't know, so I am keeping the faith on the lame horse front

ihatework

Visit site
Milliepops and that is exactly how it should be!

Training, riding & management gets/keeps them straight & sound and then when they reach the realm of proper athlete fine margins count, and a close routine vet review is paramount (and normal) for UL horses

Charla

Visit site
Interesting thread.
My mare was ever so slightly, minutely lame on a left circle only. Most people couldn’t see it. I could. I think in someone else’s hand she would have been ridden as normal, but I knew she wasn’t quite right.
A lot of horses I watch being schooled don’t look 100% sound, but low level riders would never know and are completely oblivious.
I’m also shocked at how many for sale videos I see, and the horse is lame! Yet people comment how wonderful the horse looks!