Does anyone NOT stable?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 on three acres and I have an open yard policy giving them access to hard standing and two stables as and when they choose to use them .. which isnt very often. My fields get pretty trashed ... and low and behold they recover. I cant really understand how keeping a horse off a trashed muddy field for 8 hours out of 24 can help the field but happy to be enlightened and educated.

Erm....it means it doesn't actually get trashed? At least that is what happens with mine, but then I am lucky enough to have enough land to be able to move the horses around if the ground is getting poached.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Erm....it means it doesn't actually get trashed? At least that is what happens with mine, but then I am lucky enough to have enough land to be able to move the horses around if the ground is getting poached.

I guess we cant all be so wonderfully lucky then can we!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I think we have enough people-bashing on here re shoeing/not shoeing, rugging/not rugging, etc etc - and I'm not thrilled to see another post that implies people are being cruel to their horses. Many many horses are happy to be stabled - some actively prefer it. Let's live and let live please.

Mine live out 24/7, incidentally...

Quite, although you (and others) clearly use fences to shut them in, perhaps we should remove those and let them run free as nature intended? ;)

Anyway, my horses all get treated as individuals, and are looked after to the best of my abilities within the constraints I have (i.e. not hundreds of acres of natural pasture). One is out unrugged, 24/7/365, the two old ponies (both mid 20s) are out 24/7 in the Summer, in at night in the Winter, my mare is out at night in the Summer and in at night in the Winter. I have to limit her Summer turnout hours especially, as she not only gets affected by the grass, she also gets a photosensitive skin issue with her four white heels.

As an aside, my dogs, when young, are crated at night and when we are out - far safer than leaving them to chew/eat anything they shouldn't.

Adonissaan

Visit site
All the horses I've ever owned have lived out and most of them being UK native ponies would be fine all year non-rugged with no shelter but I'm a softie so would still put a rug on them and had my dad build nice big shelters in the field for them with some straw down, a haynet and a toy!

Auslander

Visit site
Quite, although you (and others) clearly use fences to shut them in, perhaps we should remove those and let them run free as nature intended? ;)

I don't need to remove my fences. The bloody things go wherever they like, regardless of whether I've erected a fence in the way or not...

No - they were NOT there when I left them last night...

23622118_10156416457115730_2297191392037598491_n.jpg

Nasicus

Visit site
It's down to what the horses want vs what they need. Both of mine will happily live out 24/7, and whilst the youngster does just that, coming in for the odd night if she's needed in the morning, the older one is out by day/in at night for the winter and vice versa in the summer as she will happily gorge herself stupid and laminitic if left out 24/7, and is miserable in a muzzle. She's perfectly content to come in though, it's warm, dry and she gets dinner/meds and lots of hay to keep her fed and occupied :)

happyclappy

Visit site
Never have and probably never will. They prefer being out and rarely get rugged. I see no reason to, they are all fit and healthy and happy.
They do have a large shelter with hard standing should they wish to use it.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
I’ve been on both ends. My last horse lived in most of the time due to being an utter pansy and would just stand at the gate when it rained. He flourished in summer living out 24/7 but again as soon as it rained he wanted in. Cost so much in shavings haylege feed etc.

My current boy lives out constantly. Isn’t bothered about the wet weather and is so much easier to keep. I 100% prefer to have them out, so much better for them. I’m a firm believer in animals living as natural a life as possible! We have the option of 24/7 all year turn out and can bring them in as we please. If it’s totally miserable we keep them in to give them a break from being soaked and to try avoid rain scald as my boy isn’t rugged. But yeah living out all the way!

Batgirl

Visit site
I'm cruel and selfish. Mine is stabled overnight in the winter and in the day in the summer.

This is for several reasons (in priority order)
I need a yard that I can get to - there are none in striking distance that offer 24/7 T/O
I need a yard with staff I can trust - I have this where I am
My horse needs to be stabled in the day in the summer or he melts.

At the time my horses needs became so priority that he needed 24/7 T/O I would either have to sell him or put him down as I won't move area and job to get it and he won't share a field as he is aggressive with other horses and unhappy.

I don't care if people think I am cruel - my horse, my rules. If the law changes and I couldn't find a place I could use then I would stop having horses. Until then. Judge me.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine are currently out 24/7, I have too much grass, they are all muzzled in daytime at present.
They have access to 3 field shelters, one is dirt floor, another has miscanthus and the big one has straw bedding (the smalls won't eat it but like nesting in it occasionally). They all have their own stable, and i have a couple spare .....

I have no mud.....

If the weather annoys me by throwing it down on a work day, then they will do an odd night in. It's good training for all of them to be in overnight and separated from their pals. It's much more pleasant for me to muck 3 boxes out at 6am than potter off with barrow to poo pick and get drenched! :)

So, I can do 24/7 out, but they do get stabled on random occasions in winter and summer :)

honetpot

Visit site
Mine live out unrugged as much as possible. If they are in work they live out clipped and rugged as much as possible.
As we are on clay, coming in means coming in to open barns with access to a thrash paddock 24/7.
I treated myself to some very smart second hand Loddon stables when we moved, which are only used if one needs to come in for extra feeding or the vet or farrier is coming. I also think it helps to reassure people that they are not entering Steptoes yard, the last posh vet, not mine, said it was a nice yard. Others wise everything else is old, muddy and vet students thought the ponies were rescued as they were hidden by a foot of mane.
I have never had one with a stable vice, and the last one that had a virus came back with it from a livery yard, so I must be doing something right.
I have kept a horse in a stable over winter because they there was no turnout at all, but they were exercised properly and had a huge light stable.
I think the thing I object about stabling now is that horses do not get enough exercise, company or forage. That stable design seems not to have progressed and its more about how they look and not about the horses needs. They are nearly all enclosed and dark when daylight and ventilation cost virtually nothing.
The in the old days, which I saw the tale end of, horses were kept in stalls, they always seemed to be content, as they could see and smell their companions. Perhaps it a rosy glow of the past but I can not remember one having a stable vice

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My horse is in at night from Dec to April but my mini shetty lives out 24/7, however he does have a massive field shelter that he uses ALOT, like when its hot in the winter, over night and if its raining, so having had this option for him, I would no longer be happy for him to be out 24/7 without a shelter as he clearly likes it in there!

Fiona

Visit site
I think we have enough people-bashing on here re shoeing/not shoeing, rugging/not rugging, etc etc - and I'm not thrilled to see another post that implies people are being cruel to their horses. Many many horses are happy to be stabled - some actively prefer it. Let's live and let live please.

Mine live out 24/7, incidentally...

Well said...

I've done both out 24/7 and in/out, and will continue to choose what is best for the individual horse in the future...

Fiona

blitznbobs

Visit site
My horses are obviously not the norm then... they live out 24/7 in the summer but come the beginning of October they are leaning on the gate at 4pm to come in ... I'd prefer they stay out - less work for me that way I'm the depths of winter the cob hides at the back of his stable when it's time to go out and has to be dragged to the field. Horses like people are all different but don't tell me all horses want to be out 24/7/365 ... because there is no way to know that really and if it's just reading their behaviour then mine prefer to be in when it's wet and cold.

Lintel

Visit site
Totally agree with your post OP, I've recently come from a yard where 24/7 stable confinement was the norm during 6 months of the year. Other than a few minutes turnout in arena or being ridden.
I now have mine at home, abit like yours paddock and hardstanding and they are both happy boys. I do however think that keeping them in the odd night or day is good for them- they certainly appreciate .. The peace away from each other too!

Visit site
Rosie isn't stabled because she refuses to eat and drink in a stable ... Diva is not stabled because our stables aren't exactly most sturdily built in the world and putting a CSNB horse in a dark box for hours on end, when she usually follows her seeing eye pony friend (Rosie) around at night (and uses the moon!), would be blatant abuse.

WandaMare

Visit site
I have mine at home and they can choose themselves whether to go in or stay out. They do both depending on the weather. I have had some horses that prefer being out and vice versa so like others have said its an individual thing.

I wouldn't like to accuse other horse owners of being cruel unless there was serious evidence to think so. If horses are happy to be stabled for long periods, are well attended to and don't show any signs of distress then really I don't see it as a major problem. As long as they have some turnout and adequate exercise then its not an issue imo. There are a lot worse things that happen to animals in the world. Its unrealistic to think that horses must have the perfect conditions all of the time, other animals don't and humans definitely don't.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I too regard a stable as a prison cell or a private waiting room for feed or treatment. When at home , mine can come and go as they please almost all the time. The doors are shut only at meal times. Result is relaxed and happy horses with no vices.

my horse is relaxed and happy and doesnt have any vices!!!!!. i really dont understand why you are calling stables prison cells, i bet your horses arent any happier than others who are stabled part of the time...

rowan666

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 have access to field shelter, hard standing and adlib haylege. I wouldn't keep them any other way, I briefly kept the boy stabled at night as he randomly prefers to be in but he needs turnout for his joints then he started refusing to go out in crappy weather and ended up being really really stiff so now he isn't given a choice

Achinghips

Visit site
Mine are on hard standing too in the evenings, lots more room to move about is great, far better than a stable if you can help it, especially for the oldies. Will always need a stable for emergencies, but a lovely set up, hard standing and with access to a stable. Save a fortune on bedding! What surface are your hard standing please, OP? I have gravel and a small concrete skirt in front of stables. I was thinking of opening my manège but a bit worried about picking ickle bits of poo off it and of pee making yard smell. Do they go back in fields for pee and poo?

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I couldn't imagine not having fully functional stabling and for those of you doing horses without you must be very dedicated owners.

Visit site
Oh my god, to all those of you going on about how stables are "prison cells": woa calm down.

Some horses need to be in for their welfare, some horses - god forbid - PREFER being in to living bitless/treeless/shoeless/nature nazi way. Just sayin', in case you didn't realise...

Our TB and geriatric Shetland wouldn't leave their stables at all in the winter if they had enough hay to last in there(!!!), but they like their food so will be forced out to graze eventually.

*retreats to super secure underground concrete bunker in preparation for the unholy roasting that is undoubtedly now heading my way...* :D

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Oh my god, to all those of you going on about how stables are "prison cells": woa calm down.

Some horses need to be in for their welfare, some horses - god forbid - PREFER being in to living bitless/treeless/shoeless/nature nazi way. Just sayin', in case you didn't realise...

Our TB and geriatric Shetland wouldn't leave their stables at all in the winter if they had enough hay to last in there(!!!), but they like their food so will be forced out to graze eventually.

*retreats to super secure underground concrete bunker in preparation for the unholy roasting that is undoubtedly now heading my way...* :D

no roasting from me, agree wholeheartedly!!!!!!! i am one of the horrible people,my horse is shod, ridden in a bit and a normal saddle,and is in at night in the winter, i must be an awful owner, ask my contented happy horse for her opinion....

Achinghips

Visit site
sorry, but I think op raises a good point. Hard standing combined with stables gives them even more freedom. That can't be a bad thing if they can't go on the fields!