Does anyone NOT stable?

Darlabean

Visit site
If so, why?
I have good doers and a half acre hard standing as well as an arena for the horses I can use when fields are wet. I know I am priveledged and appreciate that. I read so often about horses in stables, even 24/7 and I know liveries have rules about turnout, but if horses living quarters were the same as those in zoos, there would be legislation against the type and amount of confinementto a 12 x 12 cage some use. Ok, responsible owners get them out and about from time to time but a stable is still quite a confinement for such a big animal but it’s not considered to be so. Is it because horses fall under the legislation of urban as well as rural work animals, still? Cribbing, weaving, wind sucking, box walking, kicking walls ....are these just products of our horses screaming to be heard?

Last edited:

dozzie

Visit site
Mine live out all year. They are only stabled if necessary. This could be the farrier coming the next day in winter, injury or a show. So reallisticallly, unless injured, they are stabled for my convenience, not theirs. But I have a lot of turnout. I can understand where turnout is limited they may be better in a stable for part of the time. Personally I would not be happy with a horse in 24/7 unless on box rest and even then, I think, with some injuries, some horses would be better off mooching around out in a field.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Mine live out all year too. Old cob is extremely stable-phobic and at approx 30 years of age it would do him no good at all to be standing in. Even when the horspital recommended box rest after stifle surgery my own vet, who knows him well, suggested a small paddock instead. Young cob is on schooling livery but also lives out with a companion. He comes in for an hour to have a feed and some hay after he has worked but goes out again as soon as possible. Touch wood both are healthy, vice-free and generally take things in their stride.

NZJenny

Visit site
In NZ, not stabling is the norm. Most horses here live out, year around and most horse owners don't even have access to stables. Mine happily live out in a rented 10 acre paddock, with only natural shelter. I have two retired, who are happily not rugged year around, and my current riding horse who is rugged according to the season and fully clipped out in winter. In the winter, we just put up with the mud and during the spring/summer I electric fence with tape, standards and a battery run unit to limit the grass.

I can only think of one paddock injury in the last 20 years and not had any problems competing either. All though occasionally I have wished for a stable, while scrubbing the mud off of legs in the dark for a dressage comp. during the depths of winter.....

windand rain

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 I simply wouldnt own a horse unless it could spend at least 8 hours outside preferably more. I personally think it is cruelty in the extreme to keep any animal in a confined space for long periods, Stables, dog crates and fish bowls are all places of animal torture. That is not to say they dont have short term benefits in the case of illness and all animals should learn to tolerate them calmly in case they are needed but only in absolutely unavoidable situations

JJS

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 I simply wouldnt own a horse unless it could spend at least 8 hours outside preferably more. I personally think it is cruelty in the extreme to keep any animal in a confined space for long periods, Stables, dog crates and fish bowls are all places of animal torture. That is not to say they dont have short term benefits in the case of illness and all animals should learn to tolerate them calmly in case they are needed but only in absolutely unavoidable situations

This with bells on. Mine are out unless there's some very good reason for them not to be. There are two stables between four of them available, so there is always space for them and a companion if anyone needs to be box rested, but they spend as little time inside as possible.

Spiritedly

Visit site
All of mine live out with the native ponies being unrugged all winter....smallest has a lightweight if he reaches the stage where he's getting too sweaty in his ridden work and needs a clip....they have access to natural shelter and are fed adlib hay. I have access to a stable if it's ever needed but we have a covered tie up area for when the vet/farrier is coming so the stable is only for real emergencies.
All of mine seem to prefer living out, even my wimpy boy, and I would hate for any of them to have to be stabled 24/7 but...with the exception of my youngster... they will all accept being stabled. I actually think my youngster has the equine version of claustrophobia as he won't travel in a trailer/box either :( When he injured his leg and needed to be confined we fenced off a small section of the field and he was quite happy so it seems to be the walls rather than the size of the area that he dislikes.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
in an ideal world i would like mine to be out all of the time but as i dont have my own place with loads of turnout i have to abide by the rules of the yard. mine is out 24/7 in summer but she is bought in to the stable for a short time to have breakfast and be groomed ready to ride then turned out again. in winter i ride first thing and she is turned out all day and in at night. i feel she has a good quality of life and certainly dont think she regards being in her stable as torture... my puppy is also in a crate when i am out or in bed and he doesnt seem to be bothered, i would rather he was safe and not chewing wires etc.

maggiestar

Visit site
Ooh, but think about the stable stains! Your horse might get a bit dirty and then what?!
Sarcasm aside I applaud you for your enlightened approach. Your horses are lucky to have you.

Northern

Visit site
Both of mine are out 24/7, 365 days a year. Both thoroughbreds, Whilst I do have stables, I leave them open for the horses to use as shelter when they deem necessary (which isn't often!). I'm pretty lucky in that 24/7 living is pretty much the norm for horses in Australia, and I will always do everything in my power to keep them out of the stables in fields full time.

shanti

Visit site
My stables are used for when one is sick, when the vet/farrier come out and occasionally for my old mare if there is extreme heat. I have over 80 acres with plenty of natural shade and protection so that helps as well. I hate seeing horses stuck in stables all day. I'm in Australia and its not that common but I know a few people who think horses NEED to be stabled all the time so they perform better!

Supertrooper

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7, 365 days a year. He is a free spirit and hates being confined at all. He’s got a field shelter which he will only go in/out of to eat.

SEL

Visit site
This is the first winter mine have been stabled at night (fields struggle and turn to mud). They don't like it, I don't like it, but right now I feel lucky they actually get a decent amount of daytime turnout.

When my lottery win comes through things will be different!

MissTyc

Visit site
Mine are out all year. I have stables for them but I don't really use them. They seem happier being out and about. I usually have them in for a few hours during the day to feed, dry feet, have a cuddle, etc ... but not even every day.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Mine are never shut in, they have 2 open stables they can use as shelters. I'm lucky enough to have my own place now, and to have inherited a 20x20 turnout, yard and stables they can live on when our clay fields get too wet. So far this year they are still out 24/7 with lots of grass, but I'd guess we'll only have a very few more weeks before they are confined to the yard area.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 and I have never had to do anything otherwise. There's a barn but they choose not to use it. I'm probably quite fortunate in that the 3 places I've lived, have all been able to have 24/7 living out. Winter field here for example is 9 acres for 2 so even on clay there's no need to restrict turnout.

Bertolie

Visit site
My two are stabled at night all year round as per yard rules. We are on clay and the fields get really muddy in winter. Stabling at night all year round means we are able to have daily turnout in winter. It also means my fatties are off the grass at night with soaked hay instead. The horses seem to like the routine and are perfectly happy to stay in during the day if the weather dictates. They do have lovely large stables with plenty of room to move around and can groom each other over the partition.

sunnyone

Visit site
I too regard a stable as a prison cell or a private waiting room for feed or treatment. When at home , mine can come and go as they please almost all the time. The doors are shut only at meal times. Result is relaxed and happy horses with no vices.

Auslander

Visit site
I think we have enough people-bashing on here re shoeing/not shoeing, rugging/not rugging, etc etc - and I'm not thrilled to see another post that implies people are being cruel to their horses. Many many horses are happy to be stabled - some actively prefer it. Let's live and let live please.

Mine live out 24/7, incidentally...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think we have enough people-bashing on here re shoeing/not shoeing, rugging/not rugging, etc etc - and I'm not thrilled to see another post that implies people are being cruel to their horses. Many many horses are happy to be stabled - some actively prefer it. Let's live and let live please.

Quite. (And mine usually live out 24/7, too).

New poster sets off banging a drum about a subject that gets done to death on here, with lots of folk getting on their high horses :rolleyes3:.

Leo Walker

Visit site

This! Mine is in during the day in summer and overnight in winter. I'm on a livery yard and thats how it works. I wouldnt ever keep a horse in 24/7 but this routine seems a perfectly adequate compromise. Current horse wont live out anyway, and starts getting agitated and jumping out and bringing himself in if I try and leave him out

catkin

Visit site
Quite. (And mine usually live out 24/7, too).

New poster sets off banging a drum about a subject that gets done to death on here, with lots of folk getting on their high horses :rolleyes3:.

Well said both of you

Sometimes things are a very stark choice - what you'd ideally want to do and what has to happen are different:
ie pony out all the time = laminitis = die. part-stabled = no laminitis = don't die.

different strokes for different folks (and horses)

scats

Visit site
Quite! Mine is in during the day in summer and overnight in winter. I'm on a livery yard and thats how it works. I wouldnt ever keep a horse in 24/7 but this routine seems a perfectly adequate compromise. Current horse wont live out anyway, and starts getting agitated and jumping out and bringing himself in if I try and leave him out

Same. If I left the Diva out 24/7 on our summer grass, she'd be dead in no time. Mine on the yard are in during the day in summer and in overnight in winter. They get at least 7 or 8 hours turnout a day during the winter, plus work 5-6 days a week.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

Well said!

Mine would live out quite happily... but the area I'm in has pants turnout in the winter so while they are out today, they have no grazing and will be asking to come in this afternoon to their hay. It's just they way things are, it's not a perfect world so we make the best of it.

I don't think it's helpful to liken a stable to a zoo enclosure because horses are domesticated and so it's possible to meet their other needs in different ways. Mine are exercised without fail when stabled, for example.. whereas you probably wouldn't want to take a zoo animal out for a run :rolleyes3:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

yes exactly. mine come in when it suits me-rest of the time they are out. don't give a rats arse what the OP thinks.

paddi22

Visit site
mine live out 24/7 anyway, but before my stable were built there was a while i struggled without having a stable there. One winter in particular was dreadful i struggled without one because I needed a stable to
- box rest a horse
- one got abcesses all winter and needed a lot of poulticing
- one got a bad cut and needed the leg kept dry to bandage
- generally early morning starts for shows were impossible in bad weather in winter with no stable
- i discovered one horse really wanted to come in at night and sleep on a dry bed. when i kept him out he didn't perform as well. he loves being out during the day, but hates to be out in winter at night
- if you need a vet at night it's handy to have somewhere with a dry floor, walls and lighting

Beth206

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7, all year. She has open access to her stable and a hardstanding where we put the haynets in winter. She is only stabled during winter if I have the farrier coming early morning and I want her feet to dry out. It is very hard to find a yard near me where you have all year turnout - I do compromise with having no facilities but would much rather my horse be happy than having alternate days turnout or for her to be turned out in an arena for a couple of hours each day.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

Quite. Not all horses are able or willing to live out 24/7, which is why there are different routines available for them.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 on three acres and I have an open yard policy giving them access to hard standing and two stables as and when they choose to use them .. which isnt very often. My fields get pretty trashed ... and low and behold they recover. I cant really understand how keeping a horse off a trashed muddy field for 8 hours out of 24 can help the field but happy to be enlightened and educated.

If I had a horse on livery my preferred yard locally dont do winter turnout. Each horse gets an hour or so in a trash paddock daily and the owner is responsible for riding it daily or taking it for a walk in hand up the driveway .. oh actually I think they have a horse walker now. It is what it is, its not my preferred method but if it needs to be done it needs to be done, live and let live but be proactive as an owner and get the horse out as much as possible, be that for a walk, ridden, a good groom and fuss ect just to break up the day!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Mine are in during the day in the for most of the year and in at night in the winter if we have horrendous weather. Usually they can't wait to come in and have a good kip, especially if it's hot or the flies are about.