Does anyone out there ride will a hip replacement?

welsh1704

Visit site
Next month i finally get my new hip. i have been suffering some time now and i have really had to put my life on hold. i will be 28 in April. The only thing has kept me going and given me something to hold on to was the thought of riding my lovely pony again. That was my goal and my dream (apart from walking pain free without crutches). The surgeon has told me he would prefer me not to ride after the op. i am shocked as so many people do, people that are 30-40 years older than me.i started riding at 7 and been in the saddle ever since. i have had to give up due to pain and doctors orders before the op but i could live with that knowing that my time would come. i am feeling very low. Has anyone had a hip replacement, what was the doctors advice and do you still ride?

boxcarhorse

Visit site
Nick Skelton the showjumper does -and is very successful. There was a long thread on the British Dressage forum about this a few weeks ago - you should register and look it up. It was very inspirational with lots of people talking about how they ride as normal after a hip replacement.

Good luck with the Op!

Suby2

Visit site
I am interested in any replies on this subject as I have osteoarthritis in my hips, the right one in particular. I am still riding at the moment but take painkillers (which reduce but do not get rid of the pain) and struggle to mount and dismount. Luckily my pony is tolerant with my scramblings.

I am 62 but was advised by the consultant that I saw to hold off having the replacement as long as possible. I didn't ask about riding afterwards but will certainly do so when the time comes to have the op (if I am not too old by then!).

One thing I am curious about is whether there are different types of replacement hips i.e. are there any that are more suited to sporty people?

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
Not me personally but I know 2 women at the riding school I use for lessons. One is an older lady (60's) and had her op a few years ago and the only issue I think she has is mounting so she uses a higher block so she can swing her leg over easier. The other is a bit younger (50's) and has just started riding again after her op and is back trotting now after a few weeks of just walking to build up the strength in her ligaments etc.

As far as I know they both had the blessing of their surgeons

TTK

Visit site
I don't have a hip replacement but did have a lot of pain in my hips. The problem turned out to be caused by too wide a saddle at the twist. I got a saddle with a very narrow twist - but nice and wide for the horse's wide shoulders. I have never had any hip pain since. It is worth looking at how your saddle fits you as well as the horse.

Perhaps your surgeon is concerned about you falling rather than the riding aspect?

iconique

Visit site
I know someone who had a replacement earlier this year, they were on a stick and in immense pain up until then. She's now back in the saddle although a little frustrated as she couldn't pick up where left off - her description was being wedged on before and now it apparently feels very different. She's finding getting on and swinging her leg over the hardest part. I'm probably up for a replacement and just starting the referral stuff, older than op but younger than most.

They don't want you to ride for several reasons including the risk of falling off but also the fact that if you don't put that type of pressure on it, its going to last longer and you are going to have less problems long term.

Rose Folly

Visit site
I have a lot of hip pain on occasions (linked to lower back troubles not hips per se). Two tips that might help that I use are:

Getting on: Simply get on from a much greater height. I used to use a custom-made 'mounting block' of breeze blocks. Now a wall at the end of the stable yard has been flat topped with slate, and is at three heights for varying riders. Ther's hardly any leg swing, as your feet are already level with the sitrrup leather bars

Getting off: Take both feet out of the stirrups. As you swing your right leg over. grab the right stirrup leather in your right hand. Then 'toboggan' down the horse's left side, using the right stirrup leather as your brake. It saves that horrid concussion as you hit the ground. Elegeant - no! less painful? Yes!

Annagain

Visit site
A friend of mine rides after a double hip replacement. She was told by her doctor that riding isn't an issue but that falling off could be! Where the replacement meets the femur, the bone is weakened by the drilling of a hole for the replacement to be screwed into so there's increased risk of fracture there. Having said that, she's fallen off a couple of times and *touches every bit of wood she can find* has been fine. She finds riding much easier than before.

welsh1704

Visit site
Suby2,

My surgeon is giving me a plastic and metal him. These are better for sporty people as they ceramic ones are more likely to break. He said they are better for sporty people who want to carry on being active. Then he turned around and said no more riding.

Hope your op goes okay.

welsh1704

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies. Going to read through them now. My partner has said if the doc says no then he doesn't want me riding so that another battle. Glad you all don't think im mad! Cant believe how much it has upset me. My pony Ash is so good too. i really want to ride again.xx:eek:

karenb

Visit site
Hi there,
I had a total hip replacement 18 months ago at the age of 50 and was riding 19 weeks later. I ride a wide 17hh Irish Draught which I school, hack out, do farm rides and small X country jumps and last year did a 100 mile trail ride.
The op is fantastic, when you come round the pain has disappeared completely from the hip, although there is the discomfort of the op for a while. But you MUST do the very tedious phisio to build up the muscles that keep everything in place. I discussed riding with my consultant and I had a large ball and socket fitted for maximum mobilty.
Doctors and phisios will advise you not to ride because of the risk of falling and a dislocation which is very very painful and which will then weaken the replacement hip, but you have to decide for yourself ultimately what you want to do and then be sensible - better to give up the gungho stuff and puissance jumping and continue to ride I think.
Recovery will be different for individuals but I have had a great result and having chatted on other forums with other 'hippies' there are lots of us out there riding again.
If anyone would like to PM me I am happy to chat further.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Hi I've known loads of people who have continued to ride after a hip replacement.

I havn't had one myself yet but when I was 25 I had a very very bad riding axcident and Broke my left hip and wrist. I had to have the hip operated on and they thought I may need a replacement. I begged then not to replace my hip as I was only 25 and they agreed to let the hip try to heal it's self. I've got a dynamic hip pin, A femeral plate and lots of skrews in my leg but thankfully the hip managed to heal enough to avoid a replacement for now. After my op my surgon told me never to get back on a horse again. I asked him why and he said due to the mettle work in my leg next time I fall off the bone won't break it will shatter :eek: .
I don't let it stop me riding though and I still ride some prity nutty horses. I'm just alot more deturmind to stay on these days ;) :p After all as I said to the surgon I could slip on the stairs fall awkwadlyand land on my hip or I could trip getting off a bus ect...... But then most people think i'm mad ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

I hope your op goes well and it helps you become pain free. xx

Amaranta

Visit site
This is a subject close to my heart as I am sure I will have to have a replacement when I am older as my hips are already stressed from riding wide horses.

One success story that is a comfort was that Delia Cunningham rode very well with not one but TWO hip replacements, she eventually retired from riding when in her eighties - an inspiration if ever there was one :)

welsh1704

Visit site
Yes, i have thought bout driving. i had a ds hip screw but the hip died around it and pushed it out of the bone. They removed it in August but then the hip completely collapsed in six weeks. Might be good to learn something new.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
CHEER UP EVERYONE!!!!! i have had birmingham hip resurfacing on both of my hips. the first was done when i was 60 and the other 18months later.. this type of hip replacement is usually used for younger people as you need to have strong bones. luckily mine were ok... i used to hobble around and ,before having the hips done ,had resorted to using a stick on some days when it was extra painful... now i can walk my dogs and ride for as long as i like....i always mount from a mounting block anyway as im not as supple as i used to be and my horse is not the most patient when i mount......my surgeon was happy for me to continue to ride but said that he wouldnt recommend someone start any new strenuous activity if they hadnt done it before...i can confirm i have fallen off a couple of times and the hips have been fine....i think some doctors are a bit cautious but there are loads of people who continue to ride after hip ops.....can you change doctor?

1Lucie

Visit site
My old yard owner had a hip replacement 18months ago and rode in summe (very quiet cob on hacks). Unfortunatly, she has just had her other hip replaced but she still intends to ride in summer lol!

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Not a hip replacement, but I broke my hip (snapped neck of femur clean through) six weeks ago this Thursday, when two horses ran me down in the paddock. I had it pinned (big pin down the inside of my femur and another holding the neck back together - X ray is available :p )

They get you up the day after your op and I was walking on day two. Home after 5 days in hospital. It is AMAZING how soon you can get about :)

I got back on my horse on 23 December (3 weeks to the day after op). It wasn't super comfortable getting on and I had a bit of a spaghetti leg when on board. I have ridden every other day since, more or less and yesterday did eight strides of canter down the school. My little horse is a star though :)

I am banned from jumping for another month and even then OH is not happy, as I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and he dreads me falling off!

welsh1704

Visit site
Chico moi thats what i had put in. i couldnt weight bear for 8 weeks and couldnt ride for 10 months. thats amazing . be careful as mine rotted away in 18 months hence hip replacement. good for you. take care xxx

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
A lady at my old stables who was a v glam late 50s had 2 hip replacements and rode every day. Her horse was a 15.1 steady cob and she mounted from the gate as it was higher than the mounting block.

I did sponsored rides which had parts resembling cavalry charges with her, her cob could be racy then, and she managed fine. She did more riding than anyone else at the stables.

I think if you are riding regularly already and have a horse that is reasonably well behaved, then it is a perfectly reasonable decision to carry on. Worse for your joints that you stop exercise and become overweight I would think!!

NB this lady rode with lond stirrup length, not much bend in leg and swore by her Heather Moffatt seat saver.

lme

Visit site
I developed arthritis in my left hip in my 20s & stopped riding because I had no sideways movement in my left leg and couldn't sit straight on a horse. The arthritis got steadily worse & by my late 40s, I was in a lot of pain. I opted for a Birmingham hip replacement (as mentioned above, it is designed for more active people who do sport) as it does not have a tendency to dislocate & would allow me to resume riding.

There are fewer surgeon's who are experienced in doing a Birmingham Hip replacement (I went to the Nuffield in Oxford & they were fantastic) & they are not suitable for everyone. I was lucky that although the ball had almost worn through my hip socket, it hadn't quite done so & there was enough bone left to do the operation, which (in simple terms) involves covering the existing ball & socket with a metal 'lining' rather than replacing them entirely.

I can now ride again (including lateral work using my left leg) & my surgeon was happy for me to do pretty much anything except serious running (it is jarring) and things like XC where I could land on solid fences.

I was back at work (on crutches) 3 weeks after the operation & driving after 6 weeks. It took a while to regain full strength in my left leg (they cut through the muscle to do the op as they would with any hip replacement) but I'm incredibly pleased with the result.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had my new hip for two years now.
I ride three horses a day do dressage jump will event again this year I am enjoying hunting again and although I was cautious at first now I never give it a second thought my hip was great mobility . I did have a lot of soft tissue pain as lots of contracted and out of use stuff got going again but massage and physio sorted that out.
I bought myself a five year old TB in August something that would have seemed impossible before mu surgeon was happy for me to do any stupid thing I fancied except running ( long distances not to catch bus )
My BF had one just after me and she is back to climbing and seriously scary mountain biking.
I was back on a horse five weeks and three days after surgery and have never looked back it's like getting your life back.

Goldenstar

Visit site
should add I had a total hip replacement as surgeon have gone off Birmingham s for women I have a type of ceramic hip ( they call it the pink hip ) designed for active women .
It has more mobility than my BF ,s plastic hip but that does not seem to hold her back at all.

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
I had both hips replaced at 17 ( a total replacement rather than partial). A couple of months later I was riding again and riding a lot better than I ever was before they were replaced.

A couple of years ago I had both knees replaced. Same again although if ever have to have knees replaced mounting can be interesting until you are used to having a 'normal' joint again. The biggest risk with riding with hip replacements is dislocation of the joint so do your physio religiously and make sure you're as toned as you can be in your hip area as the muscles will provide support after the op.

Don't worry, all is not lost and surgeons always look on the worst case scenario. Mine made me promise faithfully not to ride as having two done is a lot riskier than one. Be honest with your surgeon and they will probably be honest with you.

ETA; They wanted me to have the ceramic replacement but I was too short to have it so had to have the metal ones (almost had to have those specially ordered but they just about fitted! :D)

Lastly, good luck. Don't worry, you'll be flying fences soon and wondering why you ever worried ;) :D.

Last edited:

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies. Going to read through them now. My partner has said if the doc says no then he doesn't want me riding so that another battle. Glad you all don't think im mad! Cant believe how much it has upset me. My pony Ash is so good too. i really want to ride again.xx:eek:

Lots of surgeons say no more riding. I think they imagine every rider to be hairing over steeplechase courses :D. My surgeon grilled me on what sort of riding I'd be doing and put it like this to me;

"If you would rather ride over fences and hunt than stay out of a hospital bed then go ahead, I have no issue with it but if you do decide to ride at that level and end up in here needing a replacement please don't complain to me when you are out of the saddle again. Deal? :D. However, if you'd rather stay at the level of hacking, the odd jump and just being a bit more relaxed than you have my absolute blessing and in fact it will be good for you providing you give yourself the needed healing time. I do not want to see you back here in a couple of weeks time with one or two dislocated hips because of your impatience Miss Belle. I have heard about what you've been asking the nurses and I don't approve :eek: :D"

My surgeon sadly is retired now :( but the aneasthetist I had for my knees is one of the one's who is in charge of fixing the jocks who fall badly during race week here and the sister on my ward rode out for one of the local trainers and her son is an apprentice jockey so all were aware that horses are really in the blood and all understood the need that most riders have to get back in the saddle. As long as you are sensible and communicate with your surgeon you should be fine :).

Very best of luck with it all anyway :) xx

amandap

Visit site
I've had a total replacement of my right hip. I do have a lot of weakness in that leg from before the op. My advice to anyone is get it done sooner rather than later. Providing you can get a correct diagnosis that is.
My problem is leg weakness nothing to do with the replacement itself.

Ps.Good luck for the op welsh1704. Being pain free is just THE best. I was not advised not to ride outside the post op time limits and the surgeon saw no problems. I have a ceramic hip and the problem with them is severe jarring possibly causing it to smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I've had a total replacement of my right hip. I do have a lot of weakness in that leg from before the op. My advice to anyone is get it done sooner rather than later. Providing you can get a correct diagnosis that is.
My problem is leg weakness nothing to do with the replacement itself.

Ps.Good luck for the op welsh1704. Being pain free is just THE best.

how long ago did you get it done ? I had terrible weakness as I got going again but Lots of dressage training ang getting hunting again has really sorted that out.

amandap

Visit site
Six years now. I have gained a lot of strength but being old (lol) there are limits to my desire to get it strong enough for 'fine' riding. :eek: I have lost my terrible weeblyness (inability to balance) thank heavens.

welsh1704

Visit site
Tinker Belle thanks i ov need to see how my op goes and then sit with my surgeon and let him know what i am planning to do. Your right they see the grand nation or maybe flick onto eventing and they think we all do that. i would be happy to walk around the school for 10 minutes a week. ( although im sure it would not be long before i want my dressage lessons haha). My cross country and jumpingdays are over. as long as my riding isnt.

Thanks to you all for your help and kind comments. its given me hope again. have my pre op next week and a hip workshop.

How long before they get you out of bed. pain free living here i come xxxx