Does anyone use a Sat Nav when out riding?

phantomhorse

Visit site
Just wondered. I'm new to my area, do have an OS map but am still concerned about getting lost in the middle of nowhere. Just wondered if there was such a thing to help direct me?
When I'm riding I should add!

Last edited:

terrierliz

Visit site
I use a handheld GPS which has OS maps downloaded onto it, if I am somewhere that I don't know, it doesn't give you directions like a sat nav but you can plot a route before you set out and then check if you are sticking to it.

It's easier than carrying a compass and a large OS map especially if it's raining.

otter2

Visit site
i have done :D i have a sat nav app on my phone, it's nice as a security thing i find because i like to explore!

Happy Hunter

Visit site
we did have to use one on the phone once - got a bit carried away wandering!
you can always retrace your steps!

Im thinking the tom tom sucker pad might not stick anyways.... ;)

stella65

Visit site
not used one but ive known people use sat nav on there phones like others have said just make sure plenty of battery life as i would think it uses more life when using sat nav although could be wrong :rolleyes:

3Beasties

Visit site
I have an App on my phone that maps my route and tells me how far I have ridden, never used it to help me find my way home yet but I'm sure it would if the need Aries!

bumper

Visit site
I got lost once, out with a mate last year, took us ages to find our way back. OH pointed out on my (very late) return that I DO have GPS with maps on my iphone, so could have pinpointed our position and direction at any point...worth having but only if you know you do lol!

A couple of years ago, I actually had to flag down a car on a lane, to ask where I was!

Mince Pie

Visit site
I have sat nav on my phone, also one of those time/speed/distance/calories burnt apps which is useful for fittening work.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I use View Ranger on my android (HTC Desire) phone. uses the built in GPS coupled with OS maps to give you a really detiled pinpoint position and obviously shows all the bridleways. :D
Works very well