Does anyone use a training band system - PAP?

Birker2020

Visit site
My physio has recommended this after seeing my horse for an acute SI strain.

I am going to buy one on Friday and start using it as part of the rehab and training exercises to develop Lari's core and hopefully this will help build some top line. Anyone used this product, was it good?

https://www.performance-animal-physiotherapy.co.uk/trainingbands

1637069411527.png
1637069593991.png They are training bands (Therabands) which are attached to special clips on the saddle cloth. The resistive band system works to increase engagement, activate and lift the core to help build and maintain topline, and ultimately condition the horse to be able to maintain and control self carriage. They can be used during riding, in hand activities including long reining and lunging.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I looked at getting the BumBuilder - same principle, different brand - but in the end stick with my Pilates bands! I have one going under his tummy and one behind his bum & either use both or alternate.

I definitely saw an improvement but don't use it much now as I moved yards earlier this year and we have much hillier hacking which we both prefer to lunging or long lining.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have the original equicore one and whilst it’s pricier than the others on the market, it’s with good reason in my experience. It’s a great bit of kit and works wonders for those needing to build up their back end or coming back into work, especially if you don’t have the luxury of hill work nearby.

humblepie

Visit site
You can just use a tail band or pilates band as others have said. I must admit I did splash out on one of the purpose made ones just because it was easier. I used it quite a bit over the summer and will do now again over the winter. Can't really say how much difference it made as part of other work being done such as raised poles and hill work but worked on the basis the more the merrier. Good luck with your horse.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, I use the Equicore. It really helps the horse to raise its core. Chiro vet recommends it highly, but cautions strongly against getting any of the cheaper rip off copies, of which she's seen several. The copies that she's seen are actually harmful in use, not just ineffective, as they pinch/bunch up/work on the wrong muscle groups :oops:. After comments from her, her clients have then binned the rip offs or put them on ebay!

The resistance bands needs careful introduction, but my wonky mare has never resented them. I use the equicore in hand and over raised poles in walk, though it can be used under saddle. The horse is free to use her head and neck to balance and to reach down - no being tied in place in front with any sort of training aid.

23FEC08A-30CE-4686-89AD-95FF7377AC7B.jpeg

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Yes, I use the Equicore. It really helps the horse to raise its core. Chiro vet recommends it highly, but cautions strongly against getting any of the cheaper rip off copies, of which she's seen several. The copies that she's seen are actually harmful in use, not just ineffective, as they pinch/bunch up/work on the wrong muscle groups :oops:. After comments from her, her clients have then binned the rip offs or put them on ebay!

That’s also been my experience, I often wonder how many of those that say the cheaper versions or a standard pilates band are just as good have actually used/seen an equicore in action as there’s a huge difference in how they sit and the level of resistance vs. the cheaper copies.

Birker2020

Visit site
I've gone ahead and bought one, thanks everyone.

Sadly I'm really governed by price so have bought the PAP training band system as I'm struggling with being over budget for the purchase of the horse and then all these vets bills/massive insurance premium that I totally hadn't anticipated.

But I noted your comments.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I've gone ahead and bought one, thanks everyone.

Sadly I'm really governed by price so have bought the PAP training band system as I'm struggling with being over budget for the purchase of the horse and then all these vets bills/massive insurance premium that I totally hadn't anticipated.

But I noted your comments.

Can you update us on how the device works for you, I have a horse with Suprascapula Neuropathy injury and superior check issue who will, hopefully, start rehab at Christmas and would be very interested to hear how the training aid works for your new horse.

I am very sorry to hear the new horse is needing immediate veterinary attention and is costing a small fortune within days of having him. Very disappointing for you. Good luck with him.

Birker2020

Visit site
Can you update us on how the device works for you, I have a horse with Suprascapula Neuropathy injury and superior check issue who will, hopefully, start rehab at Christmas and would be very interested to hear how the training aid works for your new horse.

I am very sorry to hear the new horse is needing immediate veterinary attention and is costing a small fortune within days of having him. Very disappointing for you. Good luck with him.
Yes of course I'd be happy to let you know how it works. Good luck with your horses issue.

We had a horse on the yard that presented with Sweeny shoulder, initially the YO thought it had broken its shoulder and the emergency vet came out. It could hardly move its leg, it was in a right mess. But within about a week it was 90% normal. It turned out that the vet thought it had rolled on something, like a stone or stick and temporarily damaged the nerve.

Yes its very costly particuarly at this time of year with Xmas. Lari was over budget by 2.5K and I really had to give myself a good talking to to see if I could afford him and use my savings, I took the gamble and sadly it didn't pay off and this has happened. I don't have much left contingency funds and I could do without the two week enforcement off work at Xmas as site is closed. So I'll not be paid as I'm a contingency worker until the second week in January :oops:. After this contract is finished third quarter of 2023 I will need to look at permanent work as I can't go on like this. Thank God I've not gone down with Covid yet!

Last night Lari was such a good boy, I took him across the 12 acre field in the dusk on my own in the pessoa and lunge reins and he was golden although could easily have done one at any stage. I'd had a plan in my head case he did try to run off, but it was a bit of a naff plan involving digging my heels in and hoping for the best, so was glad it never happened.

My physio says its important to work on all surfaces, grass, surface and concrete so I am trying to mix it up a bit. Then I took him in the outdoor school and we did walk poles and scattered poles which help with proprioception and lots of transitions within the walk/halt to encourage pushing off with his dodgy leg and building up the muscle (vet said at last visit that he was no longer showing lameness on the hind which is excellent news). We finished off in the indoor school with walking backwards head low between poles and core building stretches designed to build his core and musculature. At the weekend I will be able to do work on grass in the light which will be a Godsend and walking around the building. But when I get to the yard at 4pm by the time I've groomed him, booted him up, warmed him up on the walker, put the pessoa and everything else on him its getting near half four and getting dark very quickly.

The only problem I am finding is that he is extremely food orientated and trying to make him stand still whilst I put one hand on his hip and another on his tail and gently pull to get him to engage his muscles is very hard as he wants to spin around to where ever my hand is. I almost need him tied up to do that. And he's quite grabby so things like treats/polos end up with the addition of my finger! :eek: Bailey would take a tic tac from between your finger and thumb with his lips whereas Lari is like 'let me have it NOW!' and I have been badly bitten three times now.

We will get there but its very time consuming and I'm sure there will come a point when we will both be bored stupid of lunging/long reining/in hand.
But the truth with any form of rehab is that you get back what you put in which is why I'm throwing everything at him at present.

Last edited:

flying_high

Visit site
The only problem I am finding is that he is extremely food orientated and trying to make him stand still whilst I put one hand on his hip and another on his tail and gently pull to get him to engage his muscles is very hard as he wants to spin around to where ever my hand is. I almost need him tied up to do that. And he's quite grabby so things like treats/polos end up with the addition of my finger! :eek: Bailey would take a tic tac from between your finger and thumb with his lips whereas Lari is like 'let me have it NOW!' and I have been badly bitten three times now.

We will get there but its very time consuming and I'm sure there will come a point when we will both be bored stupid of lunging/long reining/in hand.
But the truth with any form of rehab is that you get back what you put in which is why I'm throwing everything at him at present.

I use a supplement tub lid with a hole cut in the middle to poke treat through to protect fingers for carrot stretches.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Yes of course I'd be happy to let you know how it works. Good luck with your horses issue.

We had a horse on the yard that presented with Sweeny shoulder, initially the YO thought it had broken its shoulder and the emergency vet came out. It could hardly move its leg, it was in a right mess. But within about a week it was 90% normal. It turned out that the vet thought it had rolled on something, like a stone or stick and temporarily damaged the nerve.

Yes its very costly particuarly at this time of year with Xmas. Lari was over budget by 2.5K and I really had to give myself a good talking to to see if I could afford him and use my savings, I took the gamble and sadly it didn't pay off and this has happened. I don't have much left contingency funds and I could do without the two week enforcement off work at Xmas as site is closed. So I'll not be paid as I'm a contingency worker until the second week in January :oops:. After this contract is finished third quarter of 2023 I will need to look at permanent work as I can't go on like this. Thank God I've not gone down with Covid yet!

Last night Lari was such a good boy, I took him across the 12 acre field in the dusk on my own in the pessoa and lunge reins and he was golden although could easily have done one at any stage. I'd had a plan in my head case he did try to run off, but it was a bit of a naff plan involving digging my heels in and hoping for the best, so was glad it never happened.

My physio says its important to work on all surfaces, grass, surface and concrete so I am trying to mix it up a bit. Then I took him in the outdoor school and we did walk poles and scattered poles which help with proprioception and lots of transitions within the walk/halt to encourage pushing off with his dodgy leg and building up the muscle (vet said at last visit that he was no longer showing lameness on the hind which is excellent news). We finished off in the indoor school with walking backwards head low between poles and core building stretches designed to build his core and musculature. At the weekend I will be able to do work on grass in the light which will be a Godsend and walking around the building. But when I get to the yard at 4pm by the time I've groomed him, booted him up, warmed him up on the walker, put the pessoa and everything else on him its getting near half four and getting dark very quickly.

Hi B, I was only wondering at the weekend how you were getting on with your lovely new horse, so I'm really sorry to hear you've had to deal with lameness and rehabilitation straight away, that's such bad luck. ? It sounds like you're getting on really well with him though, and fingers crossed that it won't be too long before you're back on board, and you'll benefit from all the groundwork and bonding that you've been doing for the rehab - although not something you'd obviously planned. ?

Birker2020

Visit site
Hi B, I was only wondering at the weekend how you were getting on with your lovely new horse, so I'm really sorry to hear you've had to deal with lameness and rehabilitation straight away, that's such bad luck. ? It sounds like you're getting on really well with him though, and fingers crossed that it won't be too long before you're back on board, and you'll benefit from all the groundwork and bonding that you've been doing for the rehab - although not something you'd obviously planned. ?
Thank you that's kind of you. I hope I can get him sorted. Watching him jump round Hickstead as a 5 year old and knowing all he is capable of makes me so sad that he is in the state he is in now. But I am keeping everything crossed for a successful outcome although its not easy as I feel so disappointed. We should be out my now doing clear round SJ at the very least and I would be having regular lessons. Instead I am relegated to chasing him around on the end of a pair of draw reins. I can't but help feel bitter and angry although I need to steer away from blaming him, as its not his fault. The other day I was so upset I just put him in his stable and walked away without a word. Felt so bad I had to go up later and give him a fuss and a treat.

I would give anything to provide you with a photo of us in the Spring jumping over a log or something, both happy and enjoying life. The diet is still working, I've lost over a stone and a half now and have dropped down two sizes in my swim suit and one size in t-shirts so delighted. This can only help if/when I get back on board again.

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
Thank you that's kind of you. I hope I can get him sorted. Watching him jump round Hickstead as a 5 year old and knowing all he is capable of makes me so sad that he is in the state he is in now. But I am keeping everything crossed for a successful outcome although its not easy as I feel so disappointed. We should be out my now doing clear round SJ at the very least and I would be having regular lessons. Instead I am relegated to chasing him around on the end of a pair of draw reins. I can't but help feel bitter and angry although I need to steer away from blaming him, as its not his fault. The other day I was so upset I just put him in his stable and walked away without a word. Felt so bad I had to go up later and give him a fuss and a treat.

I would give anything to provide you with a photo of us in the Spring jumping over a log or something, both happy and enjoying life. The diet is still working, I've lost over a stone and a half now and have dropped down two sizes in my swim suit and one size in t-shirts so delighted. This can only help if/when I get back on board again.

So sorry you are having this disappointment. Horses bring heartache of course and we all know that but it helps to have some good times to have banked before having to do the hard and uncertain rehab work. I hope you can stay positive - horses are extraordinarily resilient and are often fixable. I so hope you feel more positive soon - I guess at least you are not missing riding in glorious spring and summer weather!!

Birker2020

Visit site
WOW @Birker2020 thats awful :(

i think id be pursuing the old owner for answers!!
When I have the emotional energy I will do a post on here at some point about what's happened but I have basically been told I don't have any comeback.

I'm so upset by everything and so sad I still haven't got anything to ride after so long already sat on the side lines watching others have fun, not that I resented having to do it for Bailey as he owed me nothing. But that's horses for you I guess but its a bitter pill to swallow all the same.

Flyermc

Visit site
When I have the emotional energy I will do a post on here at some point about what's happened but I have basically been told I don't have any comeback.

I'm so upset by everything and so sad I still haven't got anything to ride after so long already sat on the side lines watching others have fun, not that I resented having to do it for Bailey as he owed me nothing. But that's horses for you I guess but its a bitter pill to swallow all the same.

Im sure there was a post on here recently that they sold a pony, the new owners finding an issue awhile later and it going to court, with the seller having to fund or part fund investigations

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Im sure there was a post on here recently that they sold a pony, the new owners finding an issue awhile later and it going to court, with the seller having to fund or part fund investigations

In that case the buyer appears to have been designated a dealer and in Birker's case the seller is undisputedly a private seller. It changes the law completely.

I'm really sorry things have turned out this way B, Lari is such a lovely looking horse and we all know how excited you were to have found him.

I hope the rehab goes really well and you are soon out jumping.

Flyermc

Visit site
In that case the buyer appears to have been designated a dealer and in Birker's case the seller is undisputedly a private seller. It changes the law completely.

I'm really sorry things have turned out this way B, Lari is such a lovely looking horse and we all know how excited you were to have found him.

I hope the rehab goes really well and you are soon out jumping.

i see what you mean, but surely a person cant just lie to be able to sell a horse? If you cant return due to a health condition, is there anything else thats been misrepresented in the advert and or any other correspondents that arent correct?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Nobody lied. For Birker's sake can you keep this thread to what she asked about, please. When she wants to discuss it she will but she made it clear she isn't ready to do that. I replied to you only to stop speculation, and since that hasn't worked I'm now making a direct request to let it drop before it upsets her. .

Northern Hare

Visit site

Oh B, I'm so sorry to hear that, I can see that you'd feel very upset. ? I can fully sympathise with you, as when I was living across in NI, I had a new horse arrive over on the ferry. I was so excited as he really was a super type. Soon after he arrived, a really well respected horse vet who I knew was visiting the yard. He asked me to trot him up, then again, and again.... "You see that near hind - the white one....well, he's sound on that one"....! (and lame on the other three! ?)
He had a good look and his prognosis was very, very guarded. But I followed his advice to the letter, and he came back sound, and I was lucky enough to have the lovely horse in my life for twenty years. I certainly didn't think I was lucky at the beginning! So I'm sure all will work out well with Lari, and I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you. ??