Does competing get in the way of training?

Farma

Visit site
Wondering what other peoples thoughts were on this as every time I have a test coming up I have to put the brakes on lots of things we are working on so that it doesn't cause issues during the test with the horse anticipating other more difficult movements which she inevitably gets a little tense about as its new and more difficult.

I have quite a hot horse anyway and haven't had this problem with previous more naturally relaxed horses.

cobden

Visit site
I don't know about getting in the way, but personally I find that as I am starting to think more about training my standards are higher ! So whereas a few years ago I may have thought 'oh I haven't been out for a while, when is the next local competition', now it's more a case of each time I ride or fix something I find more and more subtle change or improvements to make - and I end up thinking 'I'm not going anywhere until that's fixed or improved' - then before you know it 6 months has gone by !

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Each to their own, but I love training even more than competing and this is what I concentrate on. Quite often I only look at the tests the morning of the competition, and therefore never practice anything except maybe in the warm-up (for example a brush up on give and retake or rein back) just so he is not taken by surprise in the arena.

I have even been known to visit the local show centre and if there is a withdrawal space do a surprise entry. About month ago we entered the elementary on a whim as there was a withdrawal, me not having even read the test, because someone kindly offered to read it. I am not so slack when competing BD as there is a record (I feel a bit guilty if my horse is recorded less well because I am slack, although in all honesty he doesn't care!), but generally I compete for a social and to see where my training is.
In fact the last time out was great, I just held our balance and kept us ready for whatever the movement was, no anticipation on either part.
We won (somewhat to my surprise), but we could just of well have not done, as long as we both have fun, that is all that matters.

Last edited:

Bubblegum

Visit site
We have hot horses.... and have to choose between training and competing at times. Sometimes they don't mix, if you are teaching a new difficult thing.
Often though, if you are training at a higher level... to take a hot horse out to a lower level competition is exactly what is required, and they do well.
You soon learn what works.