Does riding need to be so complicated?

Amaranta

Visit site
Y'know, it is WAAAY easier to learn a whole bunch of theory and spout that than it is to actually DO something. A good teacher/trainer knows the theory, then just goes and does what works. A really good teacher/trainer pitches the instruction/training at a level that the student can digest, and gets the results in whatever way works best for that particular combination. You cannot learn to ride from a book, because the horses havn't read them. Me, I absolutely LOOOVE theory and could give Neighham a serious run for her/his money in a spout off, but I don't think it either useful or clever to clutter up one of the simplest and most useful basic excercises with reams of irrelevent guff. As someone said earlier, and very well put, riding IS simple; it IS NOT easy, which is why we all keep at it.

*claps*

cptrayes

Visit site
This is a rider issue then...over thinking the threory...simply because some do this deos not mean theory is complicatedor hard...just that they are over thinking the mechanical instead of allowing the two to come together for correct riding...soon...the rider is riding the theory/practical together without having to think jus tlike when anyone is learning something new...time and experience allows it to just happen as needed...until then. again JMO..technical and mechanical need to be taught in such a way the rider does not get stuck is all

niegham said:
Exactly what I am saying....I do not understand thepointor areyou agreeing...the trainerhas leftout an important detail of theory

You make no sense, sorry. You said it was a rider issue. I said it was not. You are now saying it is not a rider issue, that the trainer has left out an important detail of theory. That's not true. The trainer has left out an important detail of feel. The theory is to apply the aid for the flying change in the moment of suspension. Wagtail's point was that this it is too easy to over analyse the theory to the detriment of the feel.

SpottedCat

Visit site
and the other horses shown that are in teh records otherthan my pet/friend who is not my pro horse...there records are...and the horses owned by me/trained by me and placed with othe rriders...names of the owners and part owners are included starting fromoh...say....1970's and up?

and no...my initials are not LK

I just looked up your name, that's all. I'm not some kind of internet stalker, I was just interested and know how to use google! I didn't look up the horse, I looked up you. I was interested because I spent some months training in the USA and it seemed to me that any Canadians who wanted to compete at anything beyond about our Novice (your Prelim) ended up in the USA, so I was curious, that's all.

I was also a bit confused because as I understood it there wasn't a Grand Prix level for Hunter/Jumper - it stopped at adult open which is about 1.20. So you made me interested and I went and looked :)

nieghham

Visit site
FWIW he looks like a really cute horse and I'm sure he's very much loved .... but I'd love to see a 'what do you think of my breeding stallion' thread in the breeding section :D

But it has made me realise I need to be less self-depreciating !!

I would love to see him

Copper is marketed as an Amatuer stallion forthose who are not looking for the bestof the best or can not aford it but want a stud that will turn out talent as well as temperment...he is not worldwide kind of stallion like others.

It seems to suprise people when I do not breed alot of my mares to him....but...as much as I love him...the rose colour glasses come off when it is business and I see a very nice ammy stallion....we have a market here for them and Arabian sport stallions...well..economics have slowed it down....but that is everywhere on this side right now

nieghham

Visit site
I just looked up your name, that's all. I'm not some kind of internet stalker, I was just interested and know how to use google! I didn't look up the horse, I looked up you. I was interested because I spent some months training in the USA and it seemed to me that any Canadians who wanted to compete at anything beyond about our Novice (your Prelim) ended up in the USA, so I was curious, that's all.

I was also a bit confused because as I understood it there wasn't a Grand Prix level for Hunter/Jumper - it stopped at adult open which is about 1.20. So you made me interested and I went and looked :)

There is no such thing as GP in Hunter...pro classes are the Open Hunter/Conformation Hunter and Combined Hunter

I have no idea why you would have been told there is no GP classes here in Jumpers....there are several per show with the large main GP class being a premeir class the day before the WC ones....that is confusing to me....heck...even the B shows have a couple.

Canada now has several venues that offer advance..intermediate is at all the top events now as well...what we do not offer are the larger C* classes....and that is changing next season with two being built

nieghham

Visit site
head wall bang, head wall bang.

if you are banging your head over this....please realize I did not breed/originally own the stallion and this is part of the buy out contract that he remains as he is.

I could careless if he sees another mare myself...but he is a partnered horse I am obligated to certain conditions

Oh...and I choose to ignore rude sarcasm....it is not missed....just played with cordgially is all...now...must take my own advice and stop the train and get off....way too off topic

Auslander

Visit site
I would love to see him

Copper is marketed as an Amatuer stallion forthose who are not looking for the bestof the best or can not aford it but want a stud that will turn out talent as well as temperment...he is not worldwide kind of stallion like others.

It seems to suprise people when I do not breed alot of my mares to him....but...as much as I love him...the rose colour glasses come off when it is business and I see a very nice ammy stallion....we have a market here for them and Arabian sport stallions...well..economics have slowed it down....but that is everywhere on this side right now

I thought you said he'd competed internationally though - now I'm really confused.

SpottedCat

Visit site
There is no such thing as GP in Hunter...pro classes are the Open Hunter/Conformation Hunter and Combined Hunter

I have no idea why you would have been told there is no GP classes here in Jumpers....there are several per show with the large main GP class being a premeir class the day before the WC ones....that is confusing to me....heck...even the B shows have a couple.

Canada now has several venues that offer advance..intermediate is at all the top events now as well...what we do not offer are the larger C* classes....and that is changing next season with two being built

Ok, I was using H/J as the term for that class where you go round in a light seat, the horse does automatic changes, everything is on a set stride pattern and if you deviate at all you lose marks. The other is just showjumping to me.

Hence the confusion when you said you'd ridden GP H/J.

only_me

Visit site
Some people are able to teach/discuss in simplistic terms and normal terminology, others aren't.

That's pretty simple - I'm good in normal terminology but struggle with more complex terms when discussing with my peers.

Just wondering also if drop aids are tilting pelvis/hips into forward/anterior position (so your seat bones would "drop"?)

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
if you are banging your head over this....please realize I did not breed/originally own the stallion and this is part of the buy out contract that he remains as he is.

I could careless if he sees another mare myself...but he is a partnered horse I am obligated to certain conditions

Oh...and I choosse to ignore rude sarcasm....it is not missed....just played with cordgially is all

I am not being rude, I am genuinely astounded that anyone believes it is OK to use a stallion based on the fact he is an amateur's horse, that does not excuse his way of going or training.
It is apparent that we have very different standards and for an example of a very good quality stallion 'for the amateur' I suggest you look up Narramore Stud in Devon. Their stallion is what I would breed from.

nieghham

Visit site
I thought you said he'd competed internationally though - now I'm really confused.

Ummmm...US is considered international since I am in a totally different country though the same continent so yes....abroad...no..to me abroadis across the pond Germany/UK/Japan...internationally...both in the Jumper and eventing US side yes...we have both competed there in fact together before my accident

And the poor OP...if anyone deserves gin...she should get a whole barrel.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
Oh, I've competed Internationally too then, I've done an event in Wales :D

Nieghham in this country the description "International" does not mean popping across a border because your own country has insufficient events for you to attend. It means competing at such a high standard that in order to get together enough other horses of the same standard to hold a competition at the right level you have to travel.

That is what has been confusing people about your level of competition compared with what we thought you were claiming.

Last edited: