Does your horse get breakfast?

katie_and_toto

Visit site
Does your horse get breakfast and tea in the winter (fed twice a day?) How old are they? How much work are they in? Just curious
smile.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
My 17yr old mare doesn't. My 10 month old filly does. Filly requires a bit more than my mare, so I split her feed into two.

3Beasties

Visit site
All 3 of mine are fed twice a day as we have no grass, through the summer they will only get one feed a day. They are all in at night out in the day.

Charlie 13yo TB, Light Hacking and schooling - I struggle to Keep weight on him in winter so find two feeds a day really helps.

Millie 10 yo Sec A - Not in work - Doesn't really need feeding as she lives on fresh air, Just give her a handle of light chaff to keep her happy

Pixie 7 month Welsh x - Very skinny when I took her on so needs two feeds a day to slowly build her up (3 would have been even better).
laugh.gif

cellie

Visit site
Mine are eating huge amounts of everything.One tb coming back into work but kept great weight all winter and new mare tbx that is slowly putting on weight now I have found right feed for her.Im getting through one bag of feed per week plus beet alpha a and oil

only_me

Visit site
yes, my horse gets fed in the morning and in the evening. He gets 1 scoop and half of high oat % mix, so 3 scoops in total.

he is 7 rising 8, a 3/4 tb type

he is in medium work, as he is schooled 2/3 times a week for an hour at least, canter work for at least 25 minutes, hacking for at least 1hr 30mins including trotting up all hillls, jumping schooling for about 1hr, and sometimes comps on weekends, ie. dressage and/or showjumping. he gets one day off a week
laugh.gif

his feed is upped in the summer.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Mine does, for a number of reasons, most importantly it means he get more smaller feeds which is more natural and he gets two feeds whether he is in at night or out 24/7 in the winter. Secondly this is more of a tip picked up in Racing, I feed just half a scoop of feed in the morning with no chaff, if he eats it up the he is ok, if for any reason he does not finish it then I know something is wrong. I give him his breakfast while I get ready to turn him out and muck out so it does not take any extra time.

Damnation

Visit site
My mare is a TB, in light work (Schooling 3-4 times a week, hacking at the weekends and a day or two off a week). She is on 4 day a week turnout so on the days she is out she doesn't get a morning feed. On the 3 days she is in she gets a morning feed.
She gets 1scoop molichop heribe, half a scoop conditioning cubes, 1scoop alfabeet, in all feeds. She also gets limestone and garlic in her feed.

kickandshout

Visit site
yes mine does have a breakfast but only in the winter as he's out all summer.

maybe its 'old school' but i was always told it was better to feed a breakfast particularly in the winter so any icy grass doesn't hit an empty belly ???
also its not natural for horses not to eat for hours on end so little an often would be better although not always practicle unless you're on 24/7 turnout.

ISHmad

Visit site
No ours only have tea. But they get some hay or haylage before going out and we put hay in the fields when it is frosty or snow is on the ground.

amandaco2

Visit site
mine are in at night and get fed twice a day
they are all on the same feed in varying quantities and are pretty good doers, in good condition

5yo TBx mare in light/med work-ridden everyday mixture of schooling for 30-45mins,hacking for 45mins or lunging for 30mins, dressage comp every 2-4weeks
she gets a scoop of hifi,a sprinkling of alfa a oil, black sunflower seeds and baileys stud balancer.twice a day.loads of haylage

19yo LW ISH-gets the same as the other mare but she gets hay not haylage.(lamanitic)

2yo WB filly-gets the same except she gets alfa a oil only as her chaff, loads of haylage.

they all get forage in the field too as there is no grass at all.

kal40

Visit site
Mine get 3 a day. Again because its better to feed smaller amounts.

We have not much grazing so they have breakfast, get turned out for a couple of hours then back in at lunchtime, small feed and then dinner at about 6-7pm. I found this works for me as I have one that drops weight in winter. This year he has maintained his weight.

Joss

Visit site
Yes, my three do. Except for a couple of months in the summer when the grass is really rich. They get a smaller breakfast than tea.
They are:
17hh 14 yrs Advanced Event Horse
16.1h 6 yrs PN Event Horse
14.2h 30 yrs Retired EX PC competition Pony

Harley the old pony never eats much of his breakfast but he enjoys finishing up when he comes in later in the day as he usually has a couple of hours in before tea whilst the other 2 are being ridden.
We live on a dairy farm and have loads of v v good grazing so I get away with feeding less to mine than I might have to in other places.

hellybelly6

Visit site
Yes otherwise he will kick the place to bits. I also have a nice chair outside of his stable to sit in during the summer and he throws this across the yard when hungry!

He has breakie, has chaff when he comes in, has his tea at 6 and then just before I leave the yard, he has a bucket of chaff to supplement his haylage over night.

He has his full 14 kg a day (he is a big lad), but I spread it out as he is grumpy and destructive when hungry. He has haylage chaff and fast fibre.

During the summer when he is on 24 hr turn out, he will just have a handful of tea for his supplements only. He is a good doer!

Heidi1

Visit site
All mine get breakfast, High Fibre Cubes and Readigrass for the three girls (one 17, other two 10), all are in medium work, although this last two weeks it's more like light work or nothing at all, feed have gone down accordingly and Leisure Mix and Honeychop for my old boy (21), retired..

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
No they just get tea (so I can chuck them out and get straight into work in the morning).

Badger gets just a double handful of Alfa-a oil, he gets ridden about 4 times a week but mostly in walk and trot, he is Mum’s plod pony.

Bodey gets a double handful of Alfa-a and 4 small scoops of Competition mix (oats, barley etc.) He needs the energy. He gets ridden 6 times a week, two flat work sessions, jumping every other week, hacking and shows at the weekend.

SunSmile

Visit site
Mine does but only in the winter because there is no grass.
At my old yard with my other mare, who was hunting fit in the winter, she only got one feed a day and looked fabulous on it!

bailey14

Visit site
Yes and my one horse who was a terribly bad poor doer was fed four times a day!! Most horses are fed two-three times a day especially with the competition yards as horses are in more often and work harder. If you need to split a big feed its much easier to feed more and often.

Stoxx

Visit site
Yes.
In the summer he generally requires 4 scoops of feed a day so this is split into two feeds, am and pm.
In the winter he normally needs an extra scoop of chaff and mix a day so this is split into three feeds, so he gets lunch.

He is in relatively hard work.

vickyhd

Visit site

No.

I don't have time in the morning to wait for them to eat it!

I just turn them out with haylage (put out the night before). I muck out, fetch them in and give them feed in the evening.

They are all looking good, but they aren't working much!

JessPickle

Visit site
my 17yo gets chaff, oats and sugarbeet twice a day. He gets red cell in his feed everyday due to his reoccuring anemia. Keeps weight on him nicely

Kenzo

Visit site
Yes, same feed in the morning as the evening feed, he gets grumpy otherwise ...but importantly he needs it to keep his weight/nutrition topped up.

4yr old IDxTB (or whatever he's supposed to be
grin.gif
)

In light work (schooling/hacking) fibre diet only, no hard feed.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine all do and always have - they get breakfast and supper. They are 2 competition horses, a 4yo pony in light work and 2 veteran ponies (18 and 21yrs old). They get fed specific to their needs.

Bug

Visit site
Yes, breakfast and dinner

TB - just coming back into work having 2 months off injured and is fed 1 scoop of hi-fi lite twice a day plus supplements.
Think I will keep him on this actually as long as he doesn't loose weight as he seems vaguely sane on this
smile.gif

mistymoo

Visit site
My 15hh standardbred mare get a small breakfast, she's a very very good doer but i feel it's unfair as she is stabled in a barn and all the others get breakfast so i give her less tea. She is in moderate work i'd say, getting fit for the endurance season.

Mini my shetland does not get breakfast and only small healthy hooves for tea. she does get worked a couple of times a week thou which is helping so much at keeping her looking fab!!!

Both are in at night at the mo xxx

Doris68

Visit site
My old girl (23) gets breakfast and tea and supper!! She is at home and, currently, only turned out in the school as ground is far too wet to turn her out (she has a skin problem - not MF).

All her feeds consist, mainly of Hi Fi Lite and carrots with a couple of handsful of horse & pony nuts and...wait for it...Equiflex, Garlic, Echinacea and Hardy Hoof. Well she is an old girl and is looking very well on this and not too fat at all! I am sure you will tell me she is getting too much??
smirk.gif