Does your horse make noises when nervous/afraid??

Renvers

Visit site
once; when a friend brought her baby along to watch me ride. When the baby started crying the horse started making a whining noise. When the baby stopped the horse stopped!

Sparkles

Visit site
Known of quite a few hiccuping horses also when anxious about something :)

[ETA...thumps I think it's called? Could be wrong]

Nailed

Visit site
Lol Cate growls when shes feel lively lol.. and grunts alot and snorts like a STALLION BABAY.... when a bit scared lol

But then she is a WussyBlood..

Lou x

imogen345

Visit site
My mare does a fake burp when she is nervous. She does not wind suck or crib bite, then again she does live out. I only say this because I asked my equine lecturer about the burping as I know horses technically can't burp... But she said it's a little bit like wind sucking and they suck the air in to do a fake burp.

JingleTingle

Visit site
Yes I had a cob that did this - would make very nervous gulping sounds when things went pear shaped!!:D He also used to do it on very windy days when I was leading him in from the field, would stare into the blowing trees and bushes gulping away like the big wuzz he was!:rolleyes:

xRobyn

Visit site
He dragon snorts when very excited/wound up or very scared.

He makes a strange noise when we approach the cemetery, just sounds like he's breathing really heavily and he'll often nudge my arm. Doesn't do it at any other time.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Yep mine does the snorting thing too. He got very excited/nervous about a herd of Shetland ponies in the field the other week. got some very strange looks of the couple that we overtook :p

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mine does extremely loud snorts - generally causing a great deal of consternation to other riders around who think I am about to go into orbit and then they will have a loose horse to cope with.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
ginger boy snorts like a piggy when he's worried, big girl just grows even bigger than her normal 17hh but if she is very worried i can often feel her heart banging against my leg:eek:

Chavhorse

Visit site
My old TB used to blow like an elephant when he was nervous.

When excited or when just doing any upward transitions;-) he used to make a "wheeeeeeeeeeee" noise, when I started competing him in local Dressage compeitions the judges used to refer to him as the "Singing Horse' :)

Visit site
Yep, one of mine makes a gulping noise if he is nervous/something makes him jump. I have been told it is to do with him having a large tongue and just a noise he is making as he swallows but not sure how true that is as he only does it when nervous/taken by surprise!

juliette

Visit site
My horse snorts like a rhino if he is scared, squeals like a pig is he's being told off by the herd leader and whinnies loudly if hacking on his own every time he sees another horse. HE IS A LOVEABLE WIMP!!!!

Circe

Visit site
My old appy used to snort really loudly. I couldn't believe how loud it was.The first time I heard him do it, I burst out laughing, not expecting the following explosion :eek:
Current tb deafens me whinnying constantly.
Kx

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
Yes, I've heard it twice. Both times when the horses had got in a predicament and got themselves stuck, a combination of 'help me' and 'thank god you're here'. I was quite touched as it was a very special whinny well out of the range of the useful complaining/indignant ones!

walkers_dream

Visit site
dante just holds his breath and stands with all four feet at each corner, stands for a while and stares..then continues with what ever he was doing.

but he does make grunting noises when he pulls a face if he gets wet. I always know if hes in a mood even if i havent actually looked at him as you can hear him grunting away!