Dog choices...heeelp :)

emma21

Visit site
I am looking for a friend for murphy my 1.5yeae old german shepherd x old English he is very laid back and chilled in the house but looooves racing round and play fighting etc on walks.

He lost his friend 2 weeks ago and is now moping alot

I have (maybe) narrowed down the choice to...
1. Beauceron-harlequin
2. Wirehaired pointer
3. Red and White setter

Any thoughts?

P.s I know some of you may say rescue but for one I had a rescue dog and the rescue centre lied alot about what he was like and it took me 7 years to get him to a good standard! I've also spoken to great Dane rescue and they've said no because my murph has his balls and Im not planning on neutering him I'm afraid.

Pic of murphy my baby
a967210b.jpg

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I wouldn't go for a Beauceron, I love them but they are still mostly working lines in this country and might be a bit high octane for a pet.
Also the gene pool is quite small in the UK.

Two bad experiences is not really grounds to go against all rescues, but sounds like you have made your mind up, good luck in your search :)

soloabe

Visit site
Depends on what you can offer a dog and what you want from a dog?

With those breeds you will have to go to a very good breeder and be prepared to pay a wack.

emma21

Visit site
It's not that I won't ever but ATM he's still quite young and he doesn't hump, loves every dog, runs from conflict, isn't phased by in season dogs etc... So for at least now they will be staying. I know it might not please everyone but I just cant see it'll effect him too much.

With the beauceron, I have researched and apparently the dog I would get is ridiculously chilled out and calm! But the dew claws did put me off abit aswell but such beautiful dogs

emma21

Visit site
I know re price etc and I have spoken to breeders of each for advice.

I want a dog that I can go running with, that keeps up with my dog, loves other dogs and animals and sociable with people. But can be calm in the house. I know this is affected alot by how it's bought up etc

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Is it an Overhill dog? The Purnells used to breed GSDs way back in the day, think they maybe still do breed the odd litter but mostly Beaucerons now.

devonlass

Visit site
Any setter I would *think* would be more than happy to keep up with an active lifestyle and your other active dog,being over friendly sounds like would fit right in as well.The being calm in the house bit though am not so sure.

I have just bought an irish red setter pup and he is actually capable of being calm where needed,but I am still amazed by that fact every day lol,all the others I have known have not known the meaning of the eord calm until middle aged lol

I had an english pointer once,fantastic dogs and sound ideal for what you want,but not sure about a wire haired pointer is that the same as a german or english??

On the neutering thing,just wanted to to add I have no intention of getting my lad done either,I understand the reasons for doing so and generally agree with them but like you I have my own reasons and don't see why it will necessarily be a problem to let dog keep his bits.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I love Murphy! What a dude!
I have found with setters that the English are not as mad as the Irish, but still a bit bonkers. Lovely dogs. My sister in law has wire haired German pointers, they run and run all day, they are untrained but thats her choice not theres, they sleep non stop at home.